Will Parson get any reps Saturday?

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Say we are up huge in the second half, think we get to see Parson get any reps? I assume Wright would get a series or two but I'm curious if they'll let Parson see live action.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
It would be silly not to play him extended minutes but I bet he won't play. Someone had said he wasn't healthy but he is healthy enough to run the scout team. Tbh I bet we won't be up big. I bet WM puts up some points.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Who knows. One of the great mysteries in college football that I’ve noticed is that just about all teams (not just MSU) are flat out refusing to take any sort of advantage of the “play 4 and still redshirt” rule. I don’t know if its coaching stubbornness where they want to keep maximizing practice reps and game reps for the best guys to keep getting better, but you’d think you want to at least use it to protect the health of your best players at some point.

Case and point - Arch Manning. Hasn’t taken a single snap at Texas yet. And they’ve won all 5 of their games by double digits.

Simmer

Jun 21, 2013
The Office Lol GIF

77Dog

Nov 27, 2022
They want Will to get as many SEC passing records as possible and this will be a game where they have a chance to pad his numbers so no
Ding, Ding, Ding......... it seems to be all about the stats / records, team be damned!! Prove me wrong.

Reactions: SylvesterCream4.0
Sep 16, 2023
Ding, Ding, Ding......... it seems to be all about the stats / records, team be damned!! Prove me wrong.
Yes sir I have been saying this for weeks. The outcomes of the games don’t outweigh the importance of throwing the ball in the coaches eyes.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
As ****** as the team has played I’m not so certain this will be a blow out. Doubt we will see much backup play.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don’t see the benefit of playing him. Even if he has a grasp of the offense most everyone else does not. We still have receivers and the QB not on the same page… and we all know the OL is a mess. I don’t see anything good coming from him going to play in an offense we still can’t execute at a basic level (blocking and running routes)

plus I’m not sure we get way ahead.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I don’t see the benefit of playing him. Even if he has a grasp of the offense most everyone else does not. We still have receivers and the QB not on the same page… and we all know the OL is a mess. I don’t see anything good coming from him going to play in an offense we still can’t execute at a basic level (blocking and running routes)

plus I’m not sure we get way ahead.
Maybe the QB is the reason they receivers and the QB are not on the same page. Also Will is a statue with very limited arm talent, perhaps a QB with some mobility that can throw it more than 30 yards would open things up.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Who knows. One of the great mysteries in college football that I’ve noticed is that just about all teams (not just MSU) are flat out refusing to take any sort of advantage of the “play 4 and still redshirt” rule. I don’t know if its coaching stubbornness where they want to keep maximizing practice reps and game reps for the best guys to keep getting better, but you’d think you want to at least use it to protect the health of your best players at some point.

Case and point - Arch Manning. Hasn’t taken a single snap at Texas yet. And they’ve won all 5 of their games by double digits.
It's because of a lot of things. One, these players almost certainly aren't ready to step on the field at this level yet. Two, if you put them out there anyway, you're going to do more harm than good to them. Three, even in the best of circumstances, getting a few live meaningless snaps in a blowout doesn't do much to prepare a player for real, meaningful snaps in a competitive game anyway. Four, what snaps you do give to backups need to go to your 2nd string backups who are one play away from being the starter at any time.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It's because of a lot of things. One, these players almost certainly aren't ready to step on the field at this level yet. Two, if you put them out there anyway, you're going to do more harm than good to them. Three, even in the best of circumstances, getting a few live meaningless snaps in a blowout doesn't do much to prepare a player for real, meaningful snaps in a competitive game anyway. Four, what snaps you do give to backups need to go to your 2nd string backups who are one play away from being the starter at any time.
Agree with all those things, which makes it all the more perplexing that the rule was ever changed in the first place….and that coaches pushed so hard for it to be changed.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Agree with all those things, which makes it all the more perplexing that the rule was ever changed in the first place….and that coaches pushed so hard for it to be changed.
It is a stupid rule.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
They want Will to get as many SEC passing records as possible and this will be a game where they have a chance to pad his numbers so no
We've been doing this for three years....why stop now ?

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
In an ideal world we are up big early and the snaps are split like this:

Rogers: 1st Half + 1 or 2 possessions after halftime
Wright: Most of 3Q until last possession
Parsons: Last possession of the game - assuming he is without question 100% healthy

That way we get to see plenty of Wright and would be nice for Parsons to be able to get those first appearance butterflies out of the way.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login