Will Rogers

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Rogers has been a warrior this season considering the circumstances.

Early in the game, the announcers made an interesting comment. They said that Will signed with State under Moorhead and showed up on campus during bowl prep BEFORE Leach was hired (although Leach recruited him to Washington State).

That tells me that Cohen hired Leach because we had Rogers on the roster.

NEVER hire a coach based on one player on the roster….

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Rogers has been a warrior this season considering the circumstances.

Early in the game, the announcers made an interesting comment. They said that Will signed with State under Moorhead and showed up on campus during bowl prep BEFORE Leach was hired (although Leach recruited him to Washington State).

That tells me that Cohen hired Leach because we had Rogers on the roster.

NEVER hire a coach based on one player on the roster….
Lol you think Cohen hired Leach because of a low 3-star QB that enrolled early? Like you actually think that?

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
He was hurt still played Your record setting QB is going away and you’re never going to see a QB come even close to his yardage and TDs. He was a product of a system you never will see again when the Cigar Boys get to RTGDB.
“Run the ball” is more painful to watch than the slowest of AR drives. No interest in watching service academy offense…

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I would hope not. But, Leach literally emptied our QB room because of this one player and not giving playing time to anybody else. So, who the 17 knows.
Leach liked Rogers, no question. What does that have to do with Cohen hiring Leach? Especially, since he was never supposed to play his freshman year. Only did so because Costello was a trainwreck.

Reactions: AFDawg

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Leach liked Rogers, no question. What does that have to do with Cohen hiring Leach? Especially, since he was never supposed to play his freshman year. Only did so because Costello was a trainwreck.
Because the entire thread is about Will Rogers?

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
Love the kid, but not a baller. 3rd and 19 with the game on the line and he throws to Marks on the check down. So frustrating.

That was the right call. We were down 10 and needed a FG somewhere. Odds of converting 3rd and 19 are awful. He made the right call to get it back into FG range and give it a shot to cut it to 7. Kick was just 3 inches too short.

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
He's getting the most out of whatever God-given abilities he has. If as much is said about me one day I'll be happy.
Agreed. I can’t hate on him and wish him the best. And he was serviceable. It’s not his fault he was the best QB on the team.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

BreckyBratt

Nov 5, 2022
“Run the ball” is more painful to watch than the slowest of AR drives. No interest in watching service academy offense…
I hate three yards and a cloud of dust football. That's from 50 years ago. With the speed of players now on defense you have to be able to stretch the field side to side and downfield. Tonight felt like it was run, run, pass, punt all night; as did most of the season. If that's fun for some I would not want to see what boring is. The only game I love to watch for service academies is Army/Navy. That is truly a game of heart and thankful for those on the field, in the stands, and in the field of duty.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
We spent $5 mil on a coach to make a 3* QB the starter even though Leach brought in Costello. What a master plan. Will could run the Air Raid just fine and he'd hold a bunch of SEC passing record if we stuck with it this year. He's not great but he's a good Air Raid QB.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Lol you think Cohen hired Leach because of a low 3-star QB that enrolled early? Like you actually think that?

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Will is a completions King, lot of yards, lot of records, largest comeback in school history, cool "Cowboy" nickname...2 winning seasons, 2 losing seasons, 1-3 in Egg Bowls, no big upset wins (LSU, Bama, Georgia, etc.)...not our greatest QB & not our worst QB either.
His records came at a great cost to our program. Specifically QB development and retention and now we are paying up. If I have a single negative memory about Mike Leach it was his infatuation with Rogers' stinking records.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
All of you hammering the Leach/Rogers relationship need to 17’n chill. I’d recommend reading Leach’s book. In it, you will find that how he approached the QB at State was part of his program. Complete trust and expectation in the QB to run the game. Will has his pros and cons as do everybody. He did thrive in Leach’s system; now, whether that was because of him or leach, it’s irrelevant now. The man obviously has more talent than the rest of us keyboard warriors, and if I was a betting man, I’d say the majority of troglodytes on this page are not coaching at the collegiate level. Appreciate what Leach and Rogers gave to the school, take the good with the bad, and move the 17 on

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
. "Appreciate what Leach and Rogers gave to the school "

I appreciate what Leach gave us. Rogers should appreciate Leach and the school for giving him the only situation in the world in which he would have been a starting QB at an SEC school.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
How will the new staff ever find a QB that can complete a 5 yard pass? The shadow is too big!!!

Mmm-hmm.

This is the second thing I think of when I think about Will Rogers as our QB: him throwing very short passes.

The first thing I think about is him throwing a very short swing pass to one of our RBs behind the line of scrimmage, with the ball getting to the RB at about the same time a defender blindsides and completely destroys the RB for a 5-yard loss.

Sometimes, this resulted in the RB getting hurt. Ask Marks and Dillon Johnson about that. Also, you can ask Seth Davis about that . . . Will did this to him last night, and he got destroyed, injured and didn't play again.

Seriously, how many times has Rogers done this to our RBs over his 4 years?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login