Will Smith wanna be

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Most all the wasabi we get in the USA at sushi joints is just horseradish with green food coloring.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Red Velvet cakes originally got their tint from beet juice.

About 60% of US produced sugar comes from beets.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
Did you know the northernmost tip of Texas is closer to Michigan than it is the southern tip of Texas?

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
Most all the wasabi we get in the USA at sushi joints is just horseradish with green food coloring.
"Most" is an understatement, right? Hardly anyone in America has ever had actual wasabi, and if you have, that would have been made clear when you did, is my understanding.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Did you know that Mountain City, Tennessee is closer as the crow flies to Canada than it is to Memphis?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Slugburgers were never actually made of slugs. They've always been made of a corn meal/soybean/pork mix.

They were called 'slugburgers' because during the depression and into WWII, they cost a nickel compared to a beef burger which cost a dime. At the time, 'slug' was the nickname for a nickel.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
"Most" is an understatement, right? Hardly anyone in America has ever had actual wasabi, and if you have, that would have been made clear when you did, is my understanding.

Yes correct. I'm not sure if it's more pungent or not - my understanding is it has to do with the fact that that real wasabi is extremely perishable.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006

Because real wasabi is about $500 per pound.

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005
In 1979 an early warning system at NORAD went nuts and nearly sent the US and Russia into Nuclear Conflict. Perhaps closer that the Cuban Missile Crisis. Turns out it was a training system that started for some reason and clearance for a response was almost taken to Carter.

It was also the loosely followed storyline for the movie Wargames later in the 80’s.

What to take from this?? Hollywood has been lazy far longer than recent times.

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
I thought the red tint came from the reaction between basic dutch cocoa and more acidic buttermilk?

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
Ray:
D'you know that the human head weighs 8 pounds?
Jerry Maguire:
Did you know that Troy Aikman, in only six years, has passed for 16,303 yards?
Ray:
D'you know that bees and dogs can smell fear?
Jerry Maguire:
Did you know that the career record for hits is 4,256 by Pete Rose who is NOT in the Hall of Fame?
Ray:
D'you know that my next door neighbor has three rabbits?
Jerry Maguire:
I... I can't compete with that!

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Little known fact by dumb 20 somethings: don’t eat two MRE’s a day for several weeks straight after a hurricane (Katrina in my case) even if it is free food. You won’t crap right for at least 3 months and you’ll not enjoy the 15 lbs you gain.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I thought the red tint came from the reaction between basic dutch cocoa and more acidic buttermilk?

Huh. Well 17 me, my life has been a lie since my grandma told me that growing up!

So maybe she was referring more to keeping the cake moist? Or maybe she learned it as beets made it red?
This article references the beet factoid and the chemical reaction.
https://www.cheesecake.com/Blog/post/history-of-red-velvet-cake.aspx

You can't fight chemistry so I guess that's it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login