William Carey: Mississippi’s Flagship Medical School revisited…

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I've got a kid in med school and when she was doing some shadowing, she was told to avoid UMMC like the plague. Every Dr looked at her list of options and told her every OOS school was way better than UMMC.

Reactions: GloryDawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I've got a kid in med school and when she was doing some shadowing, she was told to avoid UMMC like the plague. Every Dr looked at her list of options and told her every OOS school was way better than UMMC.
Yeah you can either go elsewhere for the MD (especially if you also have really good grades & financial help) and/or post-degree medical training.

After she got her MD at UMC, my sister went on to Duke & Stanford.

Reactions: Emma’s Dad

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
And yet if you give anyone the opportunity to attend UMMC for an MD degree or DO school at Carey, I can tell you that 100 percent will choose UMMC for an MD degree. That’s just the reality. But kudos to Carey.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
That's trying just a bit too hard. What really matters is where your residency is anyway. Also, what in the heck does diversity have to do with medicine.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That's trying just a bit too hard. What really matters is where your residency is anyway. Also, what in the heck does diversity have to do with medicine.

Diversity is a specialized subheading in the US News & World Report. It's "would a med student feel welcome at a school in question?" and yeah, I agree that the residency is what really matters.

That being said, the major headings are Research & Primary Care. Carey is ranked & UMC is unranked.

I'm kind of wondering what's the deal here. Did the UMC folks drop the ball when it came to this survey or what?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

From my friends that went to medical school, way too much. This was from years ago but they said it was scary what the school was willing to do for you and what they were willing to let slide if you checked the right box. I can't imagine that has gotten better. I hope that boards and residencies are colorblind and stop unqualified doctors from getting through just because they check the right boxes.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Diversity is a specialized subheading in the US News & World Report. It's "would a med student feel welcome at a school in question?" and yeah, I agree that the residency is what really matters.

That being said, the major headings are Research & Primary Care. Carey is ranked & UMC is unranked.

I'm kind of wondering what's the deal here. Did the UMC folks drop the ball when it came to this survey or what?
Good point. It suggests (to me, at least), that WC is paying much closer attention to the changing landscape of specialized higher education.

Regarding surveys, some universities build rankings into their strategic plan as a part of their KPIs and metrics.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
The real shame is that State doesn't get more involved in the medical field. 20-30 PA students a year is about it on the human side of things.
Carey has probably the top nursing school in MS right now and also has a pharmacy school.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I am sure William Carey has a fine medical school, but they didn't invent a world renowned cancer screening procedure like the University of Mississippi Medical College did... I am certain it was an Ole Miss man that came up with the digital rectal exam.
I am a little surprised to see you throwing shade at the digital rectal exam. Figured that was your gateway drug.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
From my friends that went to medical school, way too much. This was from years ago but they said it was scary what the school was willing to do for you and what they were willing to let slide if you checked the right box. I can't imagine that has gotten better. I hope that boards and residencies are colorblind and stop unqualified doctors from getting through just because they check the right boxes.
I said medicine not medical school.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login