Willie Nelson

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
One of my funniest, most favorite film clips was Willie back in his early days. He was trying to fit in and do what everybody else was doing. He was on a stage, singing great country music, dressed in a suit and tie. Shortly after that he said "screw it" and started doing his own thing.

Reactions: dorndawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I love Willie! But I'm hoping Lukas Nelson starts playing more of Willie's stuff. He sounds just like him and Willie struggles now.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Watched most of that concert and really loved it. Willie just really is a slice of America.

My favorite part was after the emotional "On the Road Again" and "Happy Birthday" sing-a-longs to end the program, Willie gets on the mic "I want to thank everyone for coming out tonight. We have a show tomorrow, same time." and heads out, as if it were any other of the thousands of shows he's done.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I love Willie! But I'm hoping Lukas Nelson starts playing more of Willie's stuff. He sounds just like him and Willie struggles now.
I don't really know much of anything about Lukas Nelson - has he always sounded that much like Willie? It would make sense, them being related and all - but Willie's voice really is a one of one. I wonder if Lukas takes voice lessons to sound like him? Not a bad money move...

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I don't really know much of anything about Lukas Nelson - has he always sounded that much like Willie? It would make sense, them being related and all - but Willie's voice really is a one of one. I wonder if Lukas takes voice lessons to sound like him? Not a bad money move...
Lukas is actually pretty good. He can sound just like Willie if he wants to, but he does his own thing mostly. Live, he sounds so much like young Willie it's crazy.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Willie is my favorite musical hero. If you didn't see him 20 years or so ago, you missed out. I have a friend who swears he played 4 hours at the San Angelo fair back in the 80s. I've seen him go about 2.5hrs and fit in 50 or more songs.
Now it's closer to a standard 1 hour show... I hope I can do that if I make it to 90.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm ready for a new version of Willie and Waylon to kick off a newer Outlaws movement in country music. It is really bland.

Thing I love, more than anything... He never changed his style.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
With a voice changer we all could sound just like Willie too, just saying.
Dude, I've seen him live playing Willie stuff. He's as close as God could make. Of course, nobody is Willie. He used to avoid singing Willie stuff but has done it more recently. Even his own music is good. It's a little heavier than Willie.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It won’t ever happen in the top 40 but there’s plenty of great music to be found in that continuum.
I agree there's some great music to find now. I guess it's because I used to work in radio, I expected radio to break those musicians. I do know radio is not what it used to be either. It is very selective.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
The best Willie Nelson ever was his demo tapes and Red Headed Stranger. Also when he’d do anything Gospel prior to about 1988. ( Dial up “Unclouded Day.”

Oh, and the Stardust album.

Im all for old people doing things but his voice had fire back in the day
Some of my earliest memories are of my dad sitting by the fireplace playing guitar and singing “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain.” I was introduced to the Stardust album at an early age as well.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
It won’t ever happen in the top 40 but there’s plenty of great music to be found in that continuum.
It's as good as it's been in 40 years. Granted, some of the music people listen to big now, is 10 years old too. But there's a lot of great music out there now. Even the old school country singers are in on some modern stuff too.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login