WMD's State of MSU Football Address, Part 1

Oct 14, 2007
Peeps, been a long time. Posted this over on the other board and decided to share it here too. I'm not going to talk much about any specific observations from yesterday's mauling. This will be a much more high level/overview discussion. Going to dispense with the usual Offense-Defense-ST & Coaching format this week, because it doesn't make sense for what I want to say. So here we go:

The Overview/Problems:
Game Specific Observations:
1. Will isn't an SEC QB, maybe not a P5 or D1 QB. Many of us have been saying it for years, but it's become obvious to all but the Will worshippers who pray to a shrine of him every night. With the numbers he put up the last 3 years, the NFL should've been begging him to leave early. The fact they weren't says all you need to know. He's bouncing 5 yard passes in the dirt and throwing bubble screens at his receivers' shins. Pull the plug, it's over, everyone who isn't a cultist has seen enough.

2. Our OL is bad. Really bad.

3. Defense can't stop the pass or generate any pass rush without blitzing. They make up for it by not stopping the run too. You can't win giving up 500 yards of offense every week.

4. I'm glad someone is scared of our DBs, because no one outside of Starkville is. Don't think I'd ever run against us, other than the occasional "keep 'em honest" run.

Broader Observations:
1. I really don't want to panic or overreact after just 3 games. But it feels like we're getting worse each week, not better. No one came out of that game with any credit. Not the defense, certainly not the offense. Our punter deserves some praise, because he's the only one who actually did anything. And our KOR team and Woody. That's it. Everyone else was trash. Yesterday's game gave me Croom/Joe Mo vibes.

2. I have some sympathy with the hiring process. Nobody expected Leach to pass. We didn't have an AD in place. Leach died at a time when several candidates we probably would've liked to look at were off the board. Arnett was a hot name as a potential HC within coordinator circles. We may have hired him 1-2 years early, but it definitely wasn't some terrible idea to promote him. We knew there'd be growing pains and we're seeing them. Do we have the patience to ride them out? Can they be ridden out? We're going to find out very soon one way or another.

3. I have zero sympathy with the staff around Arnett we assembled. Some of those decisions were his and he has to take responsibility for them. Why did we bring in Friend to coach the OL? Auburn was ecstatic to be shot of him. Barbay, liked the hire, but we need to see some improvement. But the bigger red flag for me is promoting Brock to DC. Which leads me to...

4. Brock isn't ready to be DC. Yeah, we lost Forbes and a couple of DBs. But most of the D is back. And we don't just replace first round CBs, granted. There's no reason for the D to look this bad though. That's on Brock. But more than that, it's on Arnett. If he wasn't going to run the D himself, he should have done a national search and hired an experienced, qualified DC. I understand wanting to keep your system. But either run it yourself or recognize you need to hand it off to an experienced DC you don't have to worry about as a first time HC, even if that means a new defensive system. Instead, he promoted his buddy. Not good by any standard.

5. Barbay isn't the problem with the offense per se. The power spread is fine. What is a problem in terms of coaching is how lost we look. OL has forgotten how to pass block in just one offseason. They make up for it by forgetting how to run block in 3 games. We've got some WR talent. Tulu, Zavion, Creed, Walley all need to be force fed touches, but Will can't get the ball to them. Plays are there to be made, but we're not executing at a level to make them, especially at QB. That said, Friend needs to go, yesterday. Knox is a very good recruiter and solid RB coach. Jury is out on Bump, but I'm willing to give it some time. Good thing is he's apparently a beast mode recruiter.

6. CFB is semi-pro now. Treat all coaches and players like mercenaries at your school solely for the money, because that's exactly the situation. The "amateur athlete" fig leaf is totally gone in the era of NIL and 18 year old kids making more for playing a game than most of the fans in the stands make.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Why would we exercise patience with Arnett? He's imminently fireable. He should be coaching like his goatee is on fire because there's no reason in the world for us to stick with him if a better option becomes available. He fell bass ackwards into this job and it's on him to prove he deserves it. So far, it looks like he doesn't.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Barbay isn’t the problem with the offense ? the power spread is fine ? Who fired Mason Miller and hIred Will Friend ? who decided to switch offensive schemes ? Who hired Barbay ?

Who fired Phelps and brought in David Turner ? I highly doubt Arnett is not still heavily involved with the defense.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Barbay isn’t the problem with the offense ? the power spread is fine ? Who fired Mason Miller and hIred Will Friend ? who decided to switch offensive schemes ? Who hired Barbay ?

Who fired Phelps and brought in David Turner ? I highly doubt Arnett is not still heavily involved with the defense.

Yep!

It was a stupid move to know the talent we have and try to take a SR team in a new system. What's even worse is that it was sold to us that things would not change that much..... even though we knew better.

And we all know that you never hire position coaches when you have not even hired an OC. That's *** backwards

Reactions: blitz2Win

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Every aspect of the offense looks poorly coached. The OL looks lost, we have WRs ending up on top of each other, our timing sucks, we’re not seeing hot routes, we’re having communication issues, we can’t get the ball to our playmakers in space, we’re not utilizing our playmakers. You name it - we’re struggling with it on offense.

Will is caught up in this orbit.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
You tell us Will is no good when we’ve seen him be good.

You said the OL su**s. It does and Will is behind it. He looks like he is behind that leaky sieve and had Tigers in his face. He sucked Saturday, but that does make him the trash that you describe. Many things are wrong in Starkville.

Coaches and players need to step up or get out.

Who ever made the decision that Coach Leach’s staff would not do are the start of this screw up, and all the problems won’t get solved on this opinion board.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Most college QB's aren't headed to the pros. Most starting SEC QBs aren't going to the NFL although the SEC puts in a good share of QBs. Will looks like he's really not suited for the Power 5 and, since we haven't benched him, it looks like the others might not be either. I don't think many believe Will is elite. He's a good Air Raid QB. Arnett could have gone with the modified AR one more year with more running like we did in the Egg Bowl instead installing a new system for his starting QB, one that doesn't suit him.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Every aspect of the offense looks poorly coached. The OL looks lost, we have WRs ending up on top of each other, our timing sucks, we’re not seeing hot routes, we’re having communication issues, we can’t get the ball to our playmakers in space, we’re not utilizing our playmakers. You name it - we’re struggling with it on offense.

Will is caught up in this orbit.
Agreed… if the scheme is power spread then sure that will be fine. But you can’t watch this team and say whatever it is we are trying to do on offense is being coached well. It’s a train wreck

Reactions: knock him out john

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I'm wondering how many people on here saying do air raid one more year were the ones that were okay with Moorhead just running his offense and not playing to Fitz strength

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
This is what you get when you promote a DC to head coach. A guy that has his idea on offense and then tries to bring in a guy to run his vision. But he isn't the one running it or making it happen. That's why I like offensive minded head coache because they should know how to make it work if they have installed it elsewhere.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Peeps, been a long time. Posted this over on the other board and decided to share it here too. I'm not going to talk much about any specific observations from yesterday's mauling. This will be a much more high level/overview discussion. Going to dispense with the usual Offense-Defense-ST & Coaching format this week, because it doesn't make sense for what I want to say. So here we go:

The Overview/Problems:
Game Specific Observations:
1. Will isn't an SEC QB, maybe not a P5 or D1 QB. Many of us have been saying it for years, but it's become obvious to all but the Will worshippers who pray to a shrine of him every night. With the numbers he put up the last 3 years, the NFL should've been begging him to leave early. The fact they weren't says all you need to know. He's bouncing 5 yard passes in the dirt and throwing bubble screens at his receivers' shins. Pull the plug, it's over, everyone who isn't a cultist has seen enough.

2. Our OL is bad. Really bad.

3. Defense can't stop the pass or generate any pass rush without blitzing. They make up for it by not stopping the run too. You can't win giving up 500 yards of offense every week.

4. I'm glad someone is scared of our DBs, because no one outside of Starkville is. Don't think I'd ever run against us, other than the occasional "keep 'em honest" run.

Broader Observations:
1. I really don't want to panic or overreact after just 3 games. But it feels like we're getting worse each week, not better. No one came out of that game with any credit. Not the defense, certainly not the offense. Our punter deserves some praise, because he's the only one who actually did anything. And our KOR team and Woody. That's it. Everyone else was trash. Yesterday's game gave me Croom/Joe Mo vibes.

2. I have some sympathy with the hiring process. Nobody expected Leach to pass. We didn't have an AD in place. Leach died at a time when several candidates we probably would've liked to look at were off the board. Arnett was a hot name as a potential HC within coordinator circles. We may have hired him 1-2 years early, but it definitely wasn't some terrible idea to promote him. We knew there'd be growing pains and we're seeing them. Do we have the patience to ride them out? Can they be ridden out? We're going to find out very soon one way or another.

3. I have zero sympathy with the staff around Arnett we assembled. Some of those decisions were his and he has to take responsibility for them. Why did we bring in Friend to coach the OL? Auburn was ecstatic to be shot of him. Barbay, liked the hire, but we need to see some improvement. But the bigger red flag for me is promoting Brock to DC. Which leads me to...

4. Brock isn't ready to be DC. Yeah, we lost Forbes and a couple of DBs. But most of the D is back. And we don't just replace first round CBs, granted. There's no reason for the D to look this bad though. That's on Brock. But more than that, it's on Arnett. If he wasn't going to run the D himself, he should have done a national search and hired an experienced, qualified DC. I understand wanting to keep your system. But either run it yourself or recognize you need to hand it off to an experienced DC you don't have to worry about as a first time HC, even if that means a new defensive system. Instead, he promoted his buddy. Not good by any standard.

5. Barbay isn't the problem with the offense per se. The power spread is fine. What is a problem in terms of coaching is how lost we look. OL has forgotten how to pass block in just one offseason. They make up for it by forgetting how to run block in 3 games. We've got some WR talent. Tulu, Zavion, Creed, Walley all need to be force fed touches, but Will can't get the ball to them. Plays are there to be made, but we're not executing at a level to make them, especially at QB. That said, Friend needs to go, yesterday. Knox is a very good recruiter and solid RB coach. Jury is out on Bump, but I'm willing to give it some time. Good thing is he's apparently a beast mode recruiter.

6. CFB is semi-pro now. Treat all coaches and players like mercenaries at your school solely for the money, because that's exactly the situation. The "amateur athlete" fig leaf is totally gone in the era of NIL and 18 year old kids making more for playing a game than most of the fans in the stands make.
You showed back up for this? ED is that way —->

Reactions: blitz2Win

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I would say the two most disappointing things I witnessed on Saturday offensively were the routes ending up on top of each other, and Will just missing several easy throws. Defensively it would be the lack of pressure and how much more physical LSU was compared to us. Giving up on this team is not a option for me so I am going to ride it out, but to steal a line child it is a mess right now.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login