Women’s World Cup: Mississippi State Alumna

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Yes, I know many of you feel about the USWNT, but that’s not what this post is about. Colombia made the cut this year and their starting goalkeeper is Catalina Perez, who played her senior season at State after transferring from Miami.

Their first game is against South Korea on Monday night.

And to make sure this is an official Sixpack post about a female, I’m including pics.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
She had a very solid game, my daughter pointed out how much stronger she looked than the South Korean keeper. I wish I had seen this post before the game, no idea she played at State. That's awesome.
Yeah, she was locked in. When she dove and blocked that wide open header, I kinda knew South Korea wasn't going to score.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
They just upset Germany 2-1.

The announcers just called it the upset of the tournament. Germany scored in the 90th minute on a penalty kick, then Colombia scored on a corner kick in the last minute of extra time.

They said it was Germany’s first group stage loss since 1996 and only their second ever.

Great ending.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Colombia lost 1-0. Perez had a great save on a penalty kick, but nobody was there to clean it up and Morocco tapped it in. They still win Group H though because Germany could only muster a tie with South Korea, so Germany, the #2 ranked team, is out. Colombia and Morocco advance to the round of 16. Colombia plays Jamaica next.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: patdog

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Welp, Perez had some problem with her eyes and got subbed out at about the 65’ mark. Colombia had an early goal, but Perez lost her grip on a ball and England tapped it in as time was running out of the first half, then England (who has apparently just decided to clone cute blonde blue eyed girls to populate their soccer team) scored again on a wide open play at 63’. That’s when Perez subbed out. England up 2-1 at 74’.

Mississippi State got a mention, which I never thought I’d hear in a World Cup quarterfinal.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
England wins 2-1. Colombia had a helluva run though.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login