Women playing Memphis State on ESPN+

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Up 27-21 halfway through the 2nd.

Couple of observations:
1. They make their women play in what appears to be Germantown’s High School gym.

2. I like the play by play guy. He sounds like if Lance Russell never touched whiskey or a cigarette.

Reactions: HWY51dog and AFDawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Up 27-21 halfway through the 2nd.

Couple of observations:
1. They make their women play in what appears to be Germantown’s High School gym.

2. I like the play by play guy. He sounds like if Lance Russell never touched whiskey or a cigarette.
It’s the Elma Roane Fieldhouse on campus. They’ve put a lot of work in it to spruce it up. It used to be a dump.

The play by play guy is Dave Woloshin. He’s Memphis’ football and basketball PbP radio guy. Been there for years.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
But it’s not even in the restricted area. It’s all over the place. Theyre not in any kind of position and getting charges
That’s true too. I think it was Barnum that was just called for a charge and the Memphis player was still running alongside her.

Also, errant pass knocks out the shot clock and scoreboard 🤣🤣🤣

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Is calling them "Memphis State" supposed to be an insult? Like "haha, they're a public university!" ?

I remember NAFOOM always doing that, but it's surprising to see that silliness here.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Is calling them "Memphis State" supposed to be an insult? Like "haha, they're a public university!" ?

I remember NAFOOM always doing that, but it's surprising to see that silliness here.
Whos saying Memphis State?

ETA:

Nevermind I see in the thread title and totally looked over it. So one poster said it. Who cares?

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Dave Wooloshin is a POS. He said something about Kent Hull when he passed that I won't repeat. But he said it on radio Show and it was extremely out of line. 17 that guy.

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

No, that was their actual name when I was a kid. I used to watch their games on Channel 24 and Channel 30.

It wasn’t meant as an insult and I’m kind of surprised you took it that way.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
No, that was their actual name when I was a kid. I used to watch their games on Channel 24 and Channel 30.

I remember when they showed their games on WKNO Channel 10 one year. Weird seeing basketball on PBS.

Reactions: Dawgg

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

When you are of a "certain age" some of us slip and refer to what we once knew them as. No big deal.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I accidentally recorded the game trying to record the men.
I was able to watch the men on the ESPN app.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008

Not a big deal really, it just seemed odd to refer to them by a name they haven't used since 1994 (before a lot of posters here were born, or at least starting following NCAA sports), especially when other boards have used it in a mocking way.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Not a big deal really, it just seemed odd to refer to them by a name they haven't used since 1994 (before a lot of posters here were born, or at least starting following NCAA sports), especially when other boards have used it in a mocking way.
There’s still Memphis grads that refer to it as Memphis State and I even still slip up and do it sometimes. Like someone else said, Tiger High is the insult name.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login