Worst case scenario…..

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Baseball team is average. They aren’t crappy enough to get coach fired but also not good enough to convince anyone things have changed.

Reality sucks. Gonna be some hard decisions coming soon. Better have a legit coach lined up if we make the move.

Long season coming.

Reactions: HuntDawg

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
I don't see hard decisions because we aren't winning many games at all. This is the bottom feeder part of the schedule and we're .500. We'd have to make a regional to even consider keeping him. The man bunted a runner to 2B today with no outs and a runner on 3B. He's an idiot.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't see hard decisions because we aren't winning many games at all. This is the bottom feeder part of the schedule and we're .500. We'd have to make a regional to even consider keeping him. The man bunted a runner to 2B today with no outs and a runner on 3B. He's an idiot.
I agree about schedule. But we will get better and he will make it hard. Bank on it

There’s just no good way out of this

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I agree about schedule. But we will get better and he will make it hard. Bank on it

There’s just no good way out of this
We can’t get worse. Really, we can’t. But, I guess 9 SEC wins would be a massive improvement from the level we are currently playing.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I think the team needs to overachieve from here on in order for Lemonis to return.

There are not very many folks coming to his defense. Everyone is somewhere between ‘wait and see’ and ‘schedule the presser’.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That's been my fear ever since we didn't fire him like we should have last year. I actually thought it was the most likely scenario. But results so far this year make me feel a little better about Lemonis leaving us no choice but to fire him. Right when Bianco "retires." Who like the odds of our AD going up against theirs in a coaching search? Not me.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That's been my fear ever since we didn't fire him like we should have last year. I actually thought it was the most likely scenario. But results so far this year make me feel a little better about Lemonis leaving us no choice but to fire him. Right when Bianco "retires." Who like the odds of our AD going up against theirs in a coaching search? Not me.
I wonder what the perception of the job is going to be. On one hand you have a national title winning coach, on the other hand he's had 3 bad seasons where he missed the postseason. I'm not sure how potential candidates would view that. So nobody would think that Lemonis had been mistreated (like they viewed Stans in 2012), but they might just think the job is too difficult.

We need another intense bastard who don't GAF about pressure or the fans. Pay Vitello or bring in the real Lane Train. I don't want Butch Thompson, other than it would be fun to steal Auburn's coach. I doubt he'd come, though.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Based on what I’ve seen so far, I’d be shocked if we get it together enough to sneak in a regional. But in my opinion, if we barely sneak in a regional, we should still make a change.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Based on what I’ve seen so far, I’d be shocked if we get it together enough to sneak in a regional. But in my opinion, if we barely sneak in a regional, we should still make a change.
I don't know that the SEC is very good. When Georgia and Alabama are undefeated and atop the standings, that screams parity to me.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
So what if you fire the coach. The real issue is talent. The real problem is the new NIL and transfer portal.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Unless we can replicate a few more Dohms and Marshons, we aint winning much. Selmon better be looking now. Average doesnt cut it here let alone below average.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I wonder what the perception of the job is going to be. On one hand you have a national title winning coach, on the other hand he's had 3 bad seasons where he missed the postseason. I'm not sure how potential candidates would view that. So nobody would think that Lemonis had been mistreated (like they viewed Stans in 2012), but they might just think the job is too difficult.

We need another intense bastard who don't GAF about pressure or the fans. Pay Vitello or bring in the real Lane Train. I don't want Butch Thompson, other than it would be fun to steal Auburn's coach. I doubt he'd come, though.
The perception will be exactly what it would have been 9 months ago. There's a pretty damn good job in the SEC open where you can win a national championship. Only problem is, this year there will be TWO pretty damn good jobs in the SEC open where you can win a national championship in Mississippi instead of just one. So we'll have some very strong competition for top candidates.

All this hand wringing and worrying about candidates, or really anyone, holding it against us because we fired a national championship coach after 2 or 3 terrible years is stupid and ridiculous. How long did people care that Auburn fired Chizek or LSU fired Orgeron? About a minute. And that was for college football.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The perception will be exactly what it would have been 9 months ago. There's a pretty damn good job in the SEC open where you can win a national championship. Only problem is, this year there will be TWO pretty damn good jobs in the SEC open where you can win a national championship in Mississippi instead of just one. So we'll have some very strong competition for top candidates.

All this hand wringing and worrying about candidates, or really anyone, holding it against us because we fired a national championship coach after 2 or 3 terrible years is stupid and ridiculous. How long did people care that Auburn fired Chizek or LSU fired Orgeron? About a minute. And that was for college football.
That's not what I said. I actually specifically pointed out that it would be about whether MSU can truly win a national title now. People may look at it like the dynamics changed, or we won due to COVID, whatever.

Is this our Saban moment? Can we overpay Vitello? It's going to take a coach with that level of drive.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
That's not what I said. I actually specifically pointed out that it would be about whether MSU can truly win a national title now. People may look at it like the dynamics changed, or we won due to COVID, whatever.

Is this our Saban moment? Can we overpay Vitello? It's going to take a coach with that level of drive.

Im not sure who i'd get. But i know I wouldnt go get anyone making a lateral move. I wouldnt go get Minginoe or Thompson. Thats lateral. Vitello aint coming. Why would he?

I'd go find a good recruiter thats either an assistant at one of the larger successful programs or a coach at a smaller school hungry for a chance. Thats how tennessee found vitello, thats how we got cohen. And i'd make it mandatory he fire the entire staff and start over. All the way down to the volunteers and OPs people.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Vitello aint coming. Why would he?
Money, and the chance to create a juggernaut. We more than double UT's attendance in a year where we are terrible and they are elite.

Ray Tanner grew up in NC, played at NC State and coached successfully there. South Carolina, before they were elite, was able to lure him away.

We missed our chance to hire Maneiri, and that is when he actually wanted to come here. If Vitello says no, fine. We can always get Lane Train. He'd be Cohen Part 2. They are 7-0 right now, by the way.

Reactions: HumpDawgy

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Money, and the chance to create a juggernaut. We more than double UT's attendance in a year where we are terrible and they are elite.

Ray Tanner grew up in NC, played at NC State and coached successfully there. South Carolina, before they were elite, was able to lure him away.

We missed our chance to hire Maneiri, and that is when he actually wanted to come here. If Vitello says no, fine. We can always get Lane Train. He'd be Cohen Part 2. They are 7-0 right now, by the way.

Exactly. I'm sure if we went after a lot of coaches that have been successful multiple seasons, we would be able to lure away a pretty good coach with our facilities and program support. If Selmon lined up the best coaches 1 to 10, I bet we wouldn't hit #4 without a hire.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

We arent going to outbid Tennesee. Dont know why people continue to think this. Tennesee has made major improvements to their stadium, and actually pack it out. Our attendance numbers are vastly skewed and just about everyone understands this. Plus he's already created something at Tennessee. What do we have that UT doesnt? Theyve added to their stadium, are basically giving him everything he wants. He's winning at a high level. He isnt leaving for Mississippi state. We think a little more highly of ourselves than we actually are.

But as stated. I dont know who exactly i'd get.. but i know the type of person i'm looking for. Thats why I listed those character traits above.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Exactly. I'm sure if we went after a lot of coaches that have been successful multiple seasons, we would be able to lure away a pretty good coach with our facilities and program support. If Selmon lined up the best coaches 1 to 10, I bet we wouldn't hit #4 without a hire.
our facilities are very good. But its not something that is as dramatic as people are saying. Same with program support.

Its like this: you drive a beat up ford. Youre now getting the choice of a BWM, Corvette, and Merecedes. One might be a little nicer. One may have leather. But at the end of the day they are all great cars that you are going to look good in..... its not like everyone else's support and facilities are junk and ours are great. At the top levels, there really isnt much difference, or as much as we give ourselves credit for.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
our facilities are very good. But its not something that is as dramatic as people are saying. Same with program support.
It could be. Do you go to games? It's a different animal now with the new stadium. I'm not sure you quite get it. The program was ready to explode after we won that title, and we dropped the ball. It still could happen though, not too late.

If we were to get back to winning and find some way to accommodate more GA seating (I know, I know), then DNF would be a freaking zoo 4-5 days a week. Nobody has the support and passion we do, when we want to do it. Not even LSU or Arkansas. They have lazy fans, more of a MiLB atmosphere. Ours can get downright crazy and raucous.

You are selling us short in baseball. Vitello may still say no, but who cares. He'd at least entertain it.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
It could be. Do you go to games? It's a different animal now with the new stadium. I'm not sure you quite get it. The program was ready to explode after we won that title, and we dropped the ball. It still could happen though, not too late.

If we were to get back to winning and find some way to accommodate more GA seating (I know, I know), then DNF would be a freaking zoo 4-5 days a week. Nobody has the support and passion we do, when we want to do it. Not even LSU or Arkansas. They have lazy fans, more of a MiLB atmosphere. Ours can get downright crazy and raucous.

You are selling us short in baseball. Vitello may still say no, but who cares. He'd at least entertain it.

Yes I go to games. Ive been to regionals. Yes I went to games at the old stadium as well. I watched masters home run.

I know our environment is good and can be great, but saying at the highest levels there isnt much difference. Poll 50 players in the SEC: ask em what place is the toughest place to play, best setting, etc: I'm going to say a lot will say us, a lot will say LSU, a lot would say Arkansas. And there will be some others on the lists... even though we cant believe they are.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login