Worst CWS field ever?

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I've turned it on the last couple of nights, and all that jumps out is what bad baseball this is.

Only 1 of the top 11 in RPI are there.

Only 3 of the top 12 as ranked by Baseball America are there. And only 2 of the top 7.

Few CWS mainstays like Vandy, State, LSU, UVA, etc.

The far and away number one team isn't there. And while it's true the number one team rarely wins, the team that does usually has to beat someone. That's not the case this year.

Maybe the folks in the thread about the "MCWS" rebranding had it wrong. Maybe adding the "M" to the CWS this year is nothing political. Maybe it's just clarification for the audience that these mediocre teams are in fact made up of "men."

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I've turned it on the last couple of nights, and all that jumps out is what bad baseball this is.

Only 1 of the top 11 in RPI are there.

Only 3 of the top 12 as ranked by Baseball America are there. And only 2 of the top 7.

Few CWS mainstays like Vandy, State, LSU, UVA, etc.

The far and away number one team isn't there. And while it's true the number one team rarely wins, the team that does usually has to beat someone. That's not the case this year.

Maybe the folks in the thread about the "MCWS" rebranding had it wrong. Maybe adding the "M" to the CWS this year is nothing political. Maybe it's just clarification for the audience that these mediocre teams are in fact made up of "men."

My only beef with branding it the MCWS is that men's teams aren't restricted to men like women's team are restricted to women. Any woman good enough could play on any of these teams if she wanted. Heck, didn't Vandy football just have a female kicker?

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
It’s not the worst field in terms of the teams that are in. In the last decade you had a CWS with Stony Brook and Kent State and another with Coastal Carolina and UC Santa Barbara.

The quality of the games has been awful for some reason, though. Not a single game decided by fewer than 4 runs to this point.

It has not really been interesting whatsoever to this point. Not much to see unless you are a fan of one of the remaining teams.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Plus, Texas and Ole Miss were ranked highly in the preseason and were #1 early in the season.

So it’s a good field largely based on preseason potential.

But yeah, the games haven’t been exciting so far.

Maybe that’ll change.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
My only beef with branding it the MCWS is that men's teams aren't restricted to men like women's team are restricted to women. Any woman good enough could play on any of these teams if she wanted. Heck, didn't Vandy football just have a female kicker?

Who are you to determine what is a man and what is a woman?

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Too me this makes a stronger case against the ball has changed to favor the hitter, and fielding positions seem to be making more fielding and throwing errors.

I don’t remember seeing a single gun down from outfield to home this year. Usually, one or more has happened by this time.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I'm more interested in how the teams competed during the season than preseason rankings. Worst field that I can remember.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Who are you to determine what is a man and what is a woman?

The olympics committee determines it soley by the amount of testosterone in his/her body. Trans women cannot have more than 10 (5 for swimming) nmol/L of testosterone in their blood. This in addition of proof of as well as 1-3 years of testosterone-suppressive medication.

Men have an average of 14 to 37.5 nmol/L in their 20's and 30's

Women on average 0.3 to 2 nmol/L in their 20's and 30's

https://www.si.com/olympics/2022/03/23/transgender-athletes-testosterone-policies-ioc-framework

kired

Aug 22, 2008
It’s not the worst field in terms of the teams that are in. In the last decade you had a CWS with Stony Brook and Kent State and another with Coastal Carolina and UC Santa Barbara.

The quality of the games has been awful for some reason, though. Not a single game decided by fewer than 4 runs to this point.

It has not really been interesting whatsoever to this point. Not much to see unless you are a fan of one of the remaining teams.

They're just continuing the trend we started in the 2021 championship series. Game 1 sucked after we gave Vandy a huge lead in the first inning. Game 2 and 3 sucked if you weren't an MSU fan. Beat them by a combined score of 22 - 2, with a near no-hitter in game 3.

But personally, that was some of the greatest baseball I've ever seen.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

You think it would have been less political if they had just called it BCWS and SCWS for softball or CWSB ( College World Series of Baseball)and CWSS (College World Series of Softball).

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
You think it would have been less political if they had just called it BCWS and SCWS for softball or CWSB ( College World Series of Baseball)and CWSS (College World Series of Softball).

That would make way too much sense. I mean do they actually call it the Men's NCAA Basketball tournament? At least there men and women are playing the same sport.

Last edited:

We Men

Oct 24, 2018
Hey Glory Dog, I have another question. Why to they call it the College WORLD Series when only national teams play in it? They always crown the winner "National Champion". Looks like it should be called College National Series. How about that.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
If I got to pick the 8 CWS teams that I would really like to see in Omaha, they would be
MS State
Florida State
Miami
North Carolina
Cal State Fullerton
Arizona St
Oklahoma St
Texas
Lots of blue bloods and no other SEC team to compete with.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
It's for sure a weird year. Only close game has been tonight.
Last year had a lot of close games and lead changes, until the finals. None this year. Now there are no seeded teams and the beatsharts were 1 loss from getting excluded.
So yes I'd agree.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login