Would Cohen have fired Lemonis Monday

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
If he were still AD? It doesn’t look like Selmon is going to pull the trigger on Lemonis, but I wonder if John Cohen would have. Cohen is the only AD in my lifetime to shitcan a major-sport head coach exactly when he needed to fired - Joe Moorhead. Felker, Sherrill, Croom, Rick Ray, Howland, and maybe even Stans were allowed to stick around longer than they should have. Now it looks like you can add Lemonis to the list.

Last edited:

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Let’s wait and see what happens tomorrow. The Ferris Trophy ceremony is today. A smart AD wouldn’t want to take the spotlight away from the student athlete by firing the HC the day of or day before. Maybe I’m being too hopeful, but I’m hoping that’s what is going on.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Does the AD actually control the funds to fire a coach? I hear people say that the cigar boys are not interested in buying out the staff. Then on the other hand I hear that a well known alum left millions of dollars to go for the purpose of firing and hiring coaches. If that scenario is true does the AD have exclusive control over that?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We aren't firing Lemonis.

And no, Cohen wouldn't have fired Lemonis. One thing Cohen WOULD have done, was tell the boosters to stand down, and not made Lemonis fire Foxhall midseason. He would have let him wait until the end of year, which is what should have happened.

Reactions: AstroDog

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
If he were still AD? It doesn’t look like Selmon is going to pull the trigger on Lemonis, but I wonder if John Cohen would have. Cohen is the only AD in my lifetime to shitcan a major-sport head coach exactly when he needed to fired - Joe Moorhead. Felker, Sherrill, Croom, Rick Ray, Howland, and maybe even Stans were allowed to stick around longer than they should have. Now it looks like you can add Lemonis to the list.
Cohen pulled the trigger on Moorhead because he lost control of the team. Had Gay not punched Shrader during practice, Moorhead would’ve been the coach for the next season.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
One thing Cohen WOULD have done, was tell the boosters to stand down, and not made Lemonis fire Foxhall midseason. He would have let him wait until the end of year, which is what should have happened.
I agree with this. Firing him mid-season was a bad look. Especially with how close to the end of the season it happened. Should have just waited out the CF of a season to end, and it could have been framed as Foxhall moving on.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I think he would have. The reason is because there is very little logical upside to keeping him. It is very simple. We are depending on a coach to do what he assured us he would do THIS SEASON and failed miserably. That was without a gun figuratively pointed at his head and just one season removed from a NC. Now we actually expect this same guy to get it done a year later only now he is TWO years removed from an NC and has to first convince a good pitching coach to come here with the very real possibility that he won't have a job next season.

Keeping Lemonis is the epitome of the old definition of insanity which is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. He should be cleaning out his office as I type this.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Do you seriously think anyone in college baseball give a rip that we fired Foxhall in mid-season? Few people even know we fired him mid-season, and the ones that do know understand completely why. Nobody cares when a school fires a coach. Nobody.
Except potential replacements

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I think he would have. The reason is because there is very little logical upside to keeping him. It is very simple. We are depending on a coach to do what he assured us he would do THIS SEASON and failed miserably. That was without a gun figuratively pointed at his head and just one season removed from a NC. Now we actually expect this same guy to get it done a year later only now he is TWO years removed from an NC and has to first convince a good pitching coach to come here with the very real possibility that he won't have a job next season.

Keeping Lemonis is the epitome of the old definition of insanity which is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. He should be cleaning out his office as I type this.
I disagree with you regarding no upside to keeping him. Plenty of upside. He’s a guy that has proven he can not only get to Omaha but win it, if the talent is right. Now what he has not proven is his ability to recruit and build a winning roster. If I were AD, I wouldn’t fire him unless I felt I had a clear upgrade identified. I’d rather give him another shot than have to go down the unproven top assistant coach route. That’s just me.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I disagree with you regarding no upside to keeping him. Plenty of upside. He’s a guy that has proven he can not only get to Omaha but win it, if the talent is right. Now what he has not proven is his ability to recruit and build a winning roster. If I were AD, I wouldn’t fire him unless I felt I had a clear upgrade identified. I’d rather give him another shot than have to go down the unproven top assistant coach route. That’s just me.
How is that an upside? You can't coach the right talent to Omaha if you can't sign the right talent and lem has been abysmal at that at least on the mound. Lemonis out of his own mouth has repeated the mantra for two solid years now "I have to figure this out" and has gotten worse not better. Our SEC ERA went from a terrible 7.47 in '22 to a historically horrid 9.54 in '23. Now we are putting him in a no-win situation because he has us in such bad shape that even if he magically learned how to recruit good players we are unlikely to do enough next season for him to keep his job and thus we are just delaying the inevitable. I am not saying it is impossible for him to turn it around but I don't think he deserves another chance to try.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We have our two broadcasters saying outloud that every part of the program needs to be looked at. And they are correct. If you ever hit that point in any program you actually care about you should be making a change.

But it appears our young, hotshot professional fundraiser is too scared to do his job.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Except potential replacements
Yeah. They see a job that's open. Trust me. Nobody cares. And even if a potential replacement would hesitate to take the job because we fired the coach, we're better off without that coach anyway. No good coach is ever going to shy away from reasonable expectations (or even unreasonable ones for a lot of them).

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Yeah. They see a job that's open. Trust me. Nobody cares. And even if a potential replacement would hesitate to take the job because we fired the coach, we're better off without that coach anyway. No good coach is ever going to shy away from reasonable expectations (or even unreasonable ones for a lot of them).
No human much less a PC is gonna wonder why a guy got canned mid year for having the worst ERA in the conference two years in a row. We were almost 2 RUNS BEHIND 13th this year. And Lem just let it happen for the most part.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I could win if the talent was right.

Reactions: thekimmer

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I could win if the talent was right.
Well there have been plenty of coaches here that have not won at the level he did… maybe you should go coach then.

I’m not really advocating to keep him. But to say there is no upside to a guy who’s won a national championship is a pretty odd comment. That’s what I was responding to. If he can adjust his recruiting to actually put together not just a talented roster but a complete roster, then I think he will be fine. I have no idea if he can or not but what I do know is if he can figure out recruiting, he will win a lot of baseball games. Is that not essentially the definition of upside?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Well there have been plenty of coaches here that have not won at the level he did… maybe you should go coach then.

I’m not really advocating to keep him. But to say there is no upside to a guy who’s won a national championship is a pretty odd comment. That’s what I was responding to. If he can adjust his recruiting to actually put together not just a talented roster but a complete roster, then I think he will be fine. I have no idea if he can or not but what I do know is if he can figure out recruiting, he will win a lot of baseball games. Is that not essentially the definition of upside?
Its only odd if you simply phrase it as “guy who won a national championship” like he is the same as Tim Corbin, Pat Casey, Sully or Brian OConnor or the other guys who actually built the programs that won it. College baseball is a lot more than plugging guy or two into a roster and coaching a game. The most important parts are eval and development. He is bad at that. Again the only sec caliber guy we have that can throw more than an inning is one of the few he didn’t even commit.

And anything can happen once a team gets to Supers. Fresno State has a natty. I dont want that guy. If we canned Lem today no serious baseball program with an opening would interview him.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We did give Cohen a pretty long leash himself as both a coach and an AD. So it’s possible he would’ve ridden it out too.

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
This.
So he rode talent that he didn't bring here. Look at what he's done the last 2 seasons with what he has brought.
I remember Nelle's husband riding a pretty talented team back in 2013, only to get outcoached in the finals....
I could win if the talent was right

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
We aren't firing Lemonis.

One thing Cohen WOULD have done, was tell the boosters to stand down, and not made Lemonis fire Foxhall midseason. He would have let him wait until the end of year, which is what should have happened.
Letting Foxhall go May 2, almost 3 weeks ago now, was absolutely the right thing to do. Foxhall wasn't going to miraculously turn the pitching staff around. By letting him go 3 weeks ago, a lot of pitching coaches and agents have had time to lobby for the job and contact the university. That said I personally hope Lemonis is gone in the next day or so and it will be a non issue but with the portal opening up May 29 something HAS to happen in the next few days so that transfers will know the situation here, both those wanting to transfer in and out. Either he is let go, or, he gets the dreaded vote of confidence.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
How is that an upside? You can't coach the right talent to Omaha if you can't sign the right talent and lem has been abysmal at that at least on the mound.

To be fair, it was all Lemonis / Foxhall who signed the guy who almost singlehandedly won the CWS on the mound - Bednar.

It’s certainly been downhill from there, but you got to at least give credit where it is due there.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Unless one of you has $6Million to buy out the baseball staff it doesn’t matter. If you do have the $6 Million give it to Charlie so Lemonis can buy some players and keep Jordan, Highfill, Mershon and Cintje.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Unless one of you has $6Million to buy out the baseball staff it doesn’t matter. If you do have the $6 Million give it to Charlie so Lemonis can buy some players and keep Jordan, Highfill, Mershon and Cintje.
The money is there. Plus we have already committed to Fox’s buyout. When you combine the fact that we are about to way overpay/guarantee a pitching coach you don’t save much money at all if we have to go ahead and do this next year.

I will try to start hoping he can turn it around though. Which is more than getting in as a 3 seed.

Reactions: patdog

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
You forgot Polk.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Let’s wait and see what happens tomorrow. The Ferris Trophy ceremony is today. A smart AD wouldn’t want to take the spotlight away from the student athlete by firing the HC the day of or day before. Maybe I’m being too hopeful, but I’m hoping that’s what is going on.
Who is the favorite to win the Ferris? Also who is our representative?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I doubt the AD has the authority to fire the baseball/football or mens BB coach without several folks signing off on it.

It's about the Jimmy's and Joe's. Lem/Fox missed on some evaluations, this is the major issue. Had we signed Skeens, we'd have 6 or more additional conference wins and likely be hosting.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

He won an NC but not with a team he assembled. Big, big distinction. Especially in light of how precipitously we literally dropped off the face of the earth the very next season after this signature accomplishment then followed that up by being WORSE the season after that!

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think Cohen keeps him another season based largely on his own experience.

Cohen went 24-30 (8-22 in the SEC) in 2015, two seasons after the 2013 Championship appearance, and followed that with a 44 win regular season and an SEC regular season championship and a Super Regional in 2016.

So, I think Cohen would have given him 2024 to right the ship, but he probably needs one of the following to keep his job (regardless of who is AD):
Win the SEC Tournament
Win the SEC Regular season
Host a Regional (and not go 2 and ‘que)
Win a Regional

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
Its anybody's guess as to what he would do in this situation, but what you cant argue is that Cohen knows baseball, loves baseball, and absolutely loved Ms State baseball. He would have done what he felt was necessary to keep us prominent in the baseball discussion. If he thought that firing Lemonis was the answer, I dont think he would have hesitated.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The money is there. Plus we have already committed to Fox’s buyout. When you combine the fact that we are about to way overpay/guarantee a pitching coach you don’t save much money at all if we have to go ahead and do this next year.

I will try to start hoping he can turn it around though. Which is more than getting in as a 3 seed.

Why are we about to overpay a pitching coach? It was publicly reported after the natty in 2021 that we had made our assistants the highest paid in all of college baseball. You don’t think we’ll attract any interest just paying what we paid Foxhall?

And of course the money is there if it needs to be, but its still a zero sum game as far as that’s concerned. We’re a bottom tier SEC program financially. We can’t just print money for purposes of buying out coaches in a sport where our revenue is going to still be there regardless of on-field performance….if there’s a viable opportunity to fix the issue with assistant staff changes. You pay the additional $4-$5 million to buy out Lemonis and Gautreau, that’s $4-$5 million we can’t use to help land football / basketball recruits, or buyout Arnett if he falls flat on his face this Fall or next year, pay the next baseball coach + assistants, and so forth. Outside of schools like A&M, Texas, and LSU….there aren’t many folks who are going to throw that kind of money at a buyout for a college baseball coach.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Its anybody's guess as to what he would do in this situation, but what you cant argue is that Cohen knows baseball, loves baseball, and absolutely loved Ms State baseball. He would have done what he felt was necessary to keep us prominent in the baseball discussion. If he thought that firing Lemonis was the answer, I dont think he would have hesitated.
You also can't argue that for whatever Cohen's faults may have been, one of them was not keeping a coach that wasn't producing.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019

Ed Orgeron won a national championship. I don't see anybody beating down his door to get him to come coach.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Ed Orgeron won a national championship. I don't see anybody beating down his door to get him to come coach.
Did you read any of the other post I made in this thread? Literally couldn’t be any more clear about not advocating for him to stay. I responded to a very specific post that someone said there was no upside to keeping him. I disagree with that statement. There is upside. But I would still try to identify an upgrade if it were my choice.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Did you read any of the other post I made in this thread? Literally couldn’t be any more clear about not advocating for him to stay. I responded to a very specific post that someone said there was no upside to keeping him. I disagree with that statement. There is upside. But I would still try to identify an upgrade if it were my choice.
I read it, just saying that argument doesn't hold up. There isn't much upside to keeping him. We have no reason to hold this loyalty to him after how awful the last 2 seasons have been. Not making the NCAA Tournament 2 years in a row is inexcusable. Not making the SEC Tournament 2 years in a row is even worse. We gave him his mulligan year after the national championship, he doesn't deserve 2.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I think Cohen keeps him another season based largely on his own experience.

Cohen went 24-30 (8-22 in the SEC) in 2015, two seasons after the 2013 Championship appearance, and followed that with a 44 win regular season and an SEC regular season championship and a Super Regional in 2016.

So, I think Cohen would have given him 2024 to right the ship, but he probably needs one of the following to keep his job (regardless of who is AD):
Win the SEC Tournament
Win the SEC Regular season
Host a Regional (and not go 2 and ‘que)
Win a Regional
Well first of all, after Cohen got us going he never had back-to-back stinkers like the last two seasons. He had ONE in 2015 and followed that up with a SEC title. Lem followed his up with another one just like it so I am not seeing how Cohen's experience is close to this. Secondly, the chances of Lem achieving any of the scenarios' you have listed to keep his job next year are virtually impossible so might as well fire him now.

Reactions: patdog

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Well first of all, after Cohen got us going he never had back-to-back stinkers like the last two seasons. He had ONE in 2015 and followed that up with a SEC title. Lem followed his up with another one just like it so I am not seeing how Cohen's experience is close to this. Secondly, the chances of Lem achieving any of the scenarios' you have listed to keep his job next year are virtually impossible so might as well fire him now.

2014 may not have been a stinker and it wasn't as bad as 2022 or 2023, but it was definitely disappointing, especially with the pitching we had returning. We had a loss to Memphis, two losses to Holy Cross, lost 3 out of 4 in Arizona, got swept by LSU, lost the series to Ole Miss in Starkville, lost the series to Texas A&M in Starkville, lost to Jacksonville State, then pissed away the Regional after winning the first two games.

I agree with you though, I think the outcomes I listed are going to be hard to achieve, but I mean... that's kind of the point. He achieves them, then he's made himself harder to fire.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login