Would you rather?

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Keep Stonka and JJ and the rest of current commitments...

OR

Fire Arnett and hire a new coach this December and scramble to fill out the 2024 HS class?

I say blow it all up and start over (except for Turner, Hughes and Bump). I mean next year will already be a rebuild anyway, might as well rip the bandaid off and get started.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Never hire a coach based on a recruiting class, so I go with option 2. But that's not a done deal yet. If he gets to 6-6 and the team looks better, we aren't going to fire him. That obviously means beating Kentucky, USM and Ole Miss most likely. But Auburn isn't good, we may could win that one, especially if Ole Miss rolls them this coming Saturday, they may quit. And even if the 6-6 is Auburn, Kentucky and USM, I don't think you can fire him.

You really need 5-7 with a bad loss to Ole Miss, or worse.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That’s how we got where we are now.
Yeah, but I give a little grace due to the situation, and it was also meant as kind of a 'respect' for Leach. But to me, it's pretty obvious we hired the wrong guy. Should have just promoted Spurrier Jr., because Arnett didn't show any respect for Leach's guys.

I honestly think, deep down, Keenum heard all the mouth-breathing nonsense from our loudmouths about RuN dA BaWL. I'm betting that he and Arnett even talked about it and Arnett probably was all like "IlL cOrReCt ThAt!!1" and get back to muh bLuE cOlLaR approach. And I don't blame him, it was pervasive.

So I find myself right now wondering if I want Arnett to win, as this staff is one of the scenarios that I think could work at MSU, if done right - or wanting them to lose out of spite for how we handled the transition.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

OR

Fire Arnett and hire a new coach this December and scramble to fill out the 2024 HS class?

I say blow it all up and start over (except for Turner, Hughes and Bump). I mean next year will already be a rebuild anyway, might as well rip the bandaid off and get started.
Why bump?

Give me some sourced data that is measurable that says bumphis should stay.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Never hire a coach based on a recruiting class, so I go with option 2. But that's not a done deal yet. If he gets to 6-6 and the team looks better, we aren't going to fire him. That obviously means beating Kentucky, USM and Ole Miss most likely. But Auburn isn't good, we may could win that one, especially if Ole Miss rolls them this coming Saturday, they may quit. And even if the 6-6 is Auburn, Kentucky and USM, I don't think you can fire him.

You really need 5-7 with a bad loss to Ole Miss, or worse.
Ashford is the type of QB that gives us fits. I know he doesn't start but once he gets in Freeze will keep him in. With that said we seem to win that game a good bit now days.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Why bump?

Give me some sourced data that is measurable that says bumphis should stay.
I never understood why Bump was such a must have. But I will say he has done good recruiting thus far. Nobody is signed obviously but otherwise I wasn't a fan. Utah was not a high powered passing team with outstanding receivers.

Reactions: paindonthurt

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

OR

Real, meaningful progress for this program requires ripping off the band aid and blowing things up. Remember, we had to take a 45-0 buttwhipping from Ole Miss to finish the Croom error. If that means losing some recruits, so be it. It would suck, but it's not as bad now with the portal the way it is. Of course, it would be the most Mississippi State thing ever for us to blow everything up and then the NCAA tightens up rules around the portal.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
But to answer you unless we win 3 more I say blow it up. If the season goes as I think it will they won't be coming here anyway.

Dawgs_4_life

Jun 12, 2014
I do not see this ship getting turned around with Arnett steering. I hope I am wrong and somebody gets to quote this next year as the Dubmass Post of the Year.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I do not see this ship getting turned around with Arnett steering. I hope I am wrong and somebody gets to quote this next year as the Dubmass Post of the Year.
I was onboard with Arnett having the ability to turn this around, until the past couple of weeks. His demeanor on the sideline and his press conferences indicate to me he could be overwhelmed.

I've not seen the fire from him in a long time.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I never understood why Bump was such a must have. But I will say he has done good recruiting thus far. Nobody is signed obviously but otherwise I wasn't a fan. Utah was not a high powered passing team with outstanding receivers.
I'm not saying he is a bad, but I agree with you. Everyone yelled he was a must have without any evidence behind that other than emotion.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
What the hell recruits would we lose? If we hire a competent, well thought of coach, like a Rich Rod or Jamey Chadwell, we might actually gain some recruits. What recruits are like “Man, I really want to play for Coach Arnett. He’s really got that train going in the right direction.” If we collapse this season, we’re going to lose any recruits worth a crap anyway, so might as well blow it up.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
What the hell recruits would we lose? If we hire a competent, well thought of coach, like a Rich Rod or Jamey Chadwell, we might actually gain some recruits. What recruits are like “Man, I really want to play for Coach Arnett. He’s really got that train going in the right direction.” If we collapse this season, we’re going to lose any recruits worth a crap anyway, so might as well blow it up.
This says it all.

This team is already a personnel nightmare. The move is to hire someone they have full confidence in and give them 3 years minimum. If that’s not possible, might as well stick it out on the budget plan and put the money towards other sports because the current situation isn’t going to compete.

HotMop

May 8, 2006

OR

Blow it up like a toilet after a 1 a.m. Krystal run.

BIGDAWG44

Aug 22, 2012
Just go throw 6.5 million at Jamey chadwell and call it a day. Keep turner, Hughes, bumphis, and special teams coach. Even if our recruiting lost a bunch it’s more room for us to hit the portal.

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
oak GIF by MLB

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Our best recruiting class in the last 20 years was the Croom leftovers + Mullens new recruits. We don't necessarily have to start over from scratch if we change coaches.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
No....if we do it quickly we might not lose any. Or might add. If we go 4 and 8 looking like hot garbage any recruits with other offers are gone. Who would sign the NLI for this train wreck ? Maybe we will get rolling after the bye week but I would be amazed if we did. If I was the AD I would already be getting my ducks in a row and maybe putting some feelers out. If we lose the next two games I would be hot working the phone and setting up meetings if I could. Idk what's allowed.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023

OR

Fire the coach always sounds good, but unless we replace him with someone extremely dynamic, what are we really doing? Giving up 5-7 for possibly 6-6? We haven't shown the ability to hire dynamic in football outside of Dan (and that can be debated). Leach would have been dynamic 10-15 years ago, but we got the end of his career not the TT version.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003

OR

I think with how this season is looking like it is going to play out, we will probably lose most of the current commits anyway.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Chadwell would be a good choice. He is signed thru 2030 tho. Not sure what it would cost to buy that out tho. But I bet he would come here for 5 mill. A million dollar raise and the chance to get in the SEC is pretty attractive. Saturday is gonna show us a lot about this staff

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Fire the coach always sounds good, but unless we replace him with someone extremely dynamic, what are we really doing? Giving up 5-7 for possibly 6-6? We haven't shown the ability to hire dynamic in football outside of Dan (and that can be debated). Leach would have been dynamic 10-15 years ago, but we got the end of his career not the TT version.
We are giving up 4-8, which sounds like a good deal. 9-4 sounds pretty dynamic to me.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
We are in last place in recruiting in the SEC!! We are now offering players without a rank. You make the change. if we do not, we are going to be looking at a longer rebuild.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

OR

The latter if Arnett continues down this current trajectory.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
And you would be wrong
Do tell. So far other than a couple logo changes, what has Selmon done in the past 8 months? I understand he will be gone in less than 5 years, but I expect him to start making an impact SOMEWHERE in the ath. dept.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login