Wow, so we have now resorted to blaming Leach for the talent?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Holy 17ing mouth breathing shltass fanbase. As if Mike friggin Leach doesn’t know a P5 athlete when he sees it. His classes were ranked 27, 26 and 27 (last one he left Arnett - remember? The one we just HAD to hire Arnett to keep together - but now his recrootin sucks??? Oh let’s trust what T-bro Arnett says.

EFF. THAT. NONSENSE. If this is the collective hive mind of our fanbase, then I’m ashamed to consider myself a part of it.

Leach would have this team at 6-2 or maybe 7-1.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Just good ol boys trying to cover their @SS. They made horrible hiring and firing decisions and now don’t want to own up to it. I’ve read posts by two different players parents today that say this is on the coaches. I think this staff has lost the locker room

ETA : the parent of the player says “Arnett has lost the locker room. The coaches are clueless, bump gets overruled and has no say, offense has no idea what it’s doing, defense has no idea what it’s doing. Players have no confidence in the coaches“. Wow

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The biggest talent deficit we have is at QB and DB.
QB is easy to explain. We changed the offense, guys hit the portal. Easy enough.

I still say the defense is more on the fact that Arnett DeLeGaTeD it because he thought he was the head guy now so can’t do that. He didn’t realize that Leach delegated the OPPOSITE side of the ball. He was still the OC, just like Mullen was, or at minimum heavily involved. Arnett is trying to be CEO, and he’s not that type. CEOs are generally good talkers/salesmen/recruiters. Hell even Saban is still involved in his defensive planning. And then Croom for example kept trying to be in the offensive nuts/bolts, and he would have functioned much better as a hands-off CEO type.

Reactions: beachbumdawg

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I think one problem is that our talent issues on defense can amplify each other. That’s at LB and Safety. When we try to stay on top of teams with our secondary we end up with Jett and Bookie trying to cover and tackle in space. If we get aggressive with our LB’s, our safeties might not be able to erase a hot route. It’s that dynamic which is causing us to give up 75% completion rates game after game.

Our talent seems fine at WR, DL, QB, RB, etc.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I think one problem is that our talent issues on defense can amplify each other. That’s at LB and Safety. When we try to stay on top of teams with our secondary we end up with Jett and Bookie trying to cover and tackle in space. If we get aggressive with our LB’s, our safeties might not be able to erase a hot route. It’s that dynamic which is causing us to give up 75% completion rates game after game.

Our talent seems fine at WR, DL, QB, RB, etc.
If we think we have a talent issue this year just wait until next year even if we lose no one to the portal.

Nugdawg

Mar 3, 2008
Holy 17ing mouth breathing shltass fanbase. As if Mike friggin Leach doesn’t know a P5 athlete when he sees it. His classes were ranked 27, 26 and 27 (last one he left Arnett - remember? The one we just HAD to hire Arnett to keep together - but now his recrootin sucks??? Oh let’s trust what T-bro Arnett says.

EFF. THAT. NONSENSE. If this is the collective hive mind of our fanbase, then I’m ashamed to consider myself a part of it.

I can’t like this post enough.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If we think we have a talent issue this year just wait until next year.
Good coaches tend to be fighting for 6-6 in the rebuilding years, not the up years. I would imagine Leach would have found a way to get to a bowl next year too.

Reactions: patdog

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Good coaches tend to be fighting for 6-6 in the rebuilding years, not the up years. I would imagine Leach would have found a way to get to a bowl next year too.
Ok but it’s just mind-boggling we would have entered year 5 of Leach and it would be considered a rebuilding year bc so many guys he didn’t sign are leaving. Regardless if who the coach is next year and who is to blame, personnel is a major issue next year.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
If we think we have a talent issue this year just wait until next year even if we lose no one to the portal.
Right. I think we’re going to lose as much as any P5 team in the country between 2023 and 2024. And that’s before, like you mentioned, the transfer portal gets involved (WR).

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Ok but it’s just mind-boggling we would have entered year 5 of Leach and it would be considered a rebuilding year bc so many guys he didn’t sign are leaving.
It happens regularly. Mullen had an average year, up year (2010), a couple average years, then a second peak later on. It goes in cycles. Most coaches can’t just continually go up, there are dips.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Ok but it’s just mind-boggling we would have entered year 5 of Leach and it would be considered a rebuilding year bc so many guys he didn’t sign are leaving. Regardless if who the coach is next year and who is to blame, personnel is a major issue next year.
Riiiiiight. leach wouldn’t win any games in year five with Locke , Seth Davis and all the receivers he had coming in. cool you can see into the future. Lol

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
It happens regularly. Mullen had an average year, up year (2010), a couple average years, then a second peak later on. It goes in cycles. Most coaches can’t just continually go up, there are
But Mullen also got knocked for recruiting. But most stuff cycles due to QB and Leach would have brought back a 5 year starter next year.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Riiiiiight. leach wouldn’t win any games in year five with Locke , Seth Davis and all the receivers he had coming in. cool you can see into the future. Lol
That’s just pure speculation on your part. We lose 4 of 5 starting OL. We lose the core of the defense that’s already not good. And Leach would never bench Rogers. And the RB is an irrelevant position in the air raid. Maybe he would win but that’s a big personnel issue.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
But leach is dead.

best thing we could have done was completely move on from the whole staff. Start new. Trying to preserve anything or half was always going to end badly. Trying to be leach or anything close it would have ended just as bad.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019

Pay for premium information and you'll get the facts instead of ranting about **** you have no idea about.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
But leach is dead.

best thing we could have done was completely move on from the whole staff. Start new. Trying to preserve anything or half was always going to end badly. Trying to be leach or anything close it would have ended just as bad.
Well, given we had a veteran roster recruited and trained in the air raid, how about at least bring in a coach that runs a spread passing attack and not a round peg square hole G5 guy ? that would make sense. Hiring position coaches that are buddies with the chief of staff before hiring an Oc seems bass ackwards.

it needs to happen after the season, hopefully hire a guy who runs a spread passing attack, offensive minded coach and clean house.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Pay for premium information and you'll get the facts instead of ranting about **** you have no idea about.
Mad Cartman GIF by South Park

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Well, given we had a veteran roster recruited and trained in the air raid, how about at least bring in a coach that runs a spread passing attack and not a round peg square hole G5 guy ? that would make sense. Hiring position coaches that are buddies with the chief of staff before hiring an Oc seems bass ackwards.

it needs to happen after the season, hopefully hire a guy who runs a spread passing attack, offensive minded coach and clean house.
Yeah maybe. Very few guys passed as much as leach and most guys run a dual threat passer or someone that requires qb run more than leach did and will was used to. For most coaches we would have brought in they would have likely wanted to build for future of what they wanted which with the amount seniors we have would have started next year. And keeping staff if in place for this year without leach probably wouldn't have worked without him calling the shots every day and calling plays. So again keeping staff for one year then a rebuild. What happened with leach was very unfortunate and unlike Mullen leaving in 17-18 and Moorhead not runnning more run friendly offense Not many big time coaches run leaches 70-30 pass air raid or could coach will like leach did. It was was just very unfortunate. Replacing leach and his version of the system was always going to be hard. Even guys who run a pass heavy spread would have brought different concepts than what will ran all his life and the players ran the last three years. Best thing we could have done was gone and gotten a big name coach with some rep and hoped he brought his qb and a couple more players with him. And it still would have probably been a tough year.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
honestly, just keeping the staff in place and running what we always ran would have a functional O line, a functional offense and probably win 7-8 games. it wouldn’t have looked like a total cluster#*@&, and I guarantee that team would beat this team. so what was done was the worst possible option.

Arnett Was the wrong guy to tag for interim, Miller would have probably been a more mature choice.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I brought Miller up back then. He has been a head coach before. Granted it was Tarleton State but still. Of course many people laughed about Tarleton State. But they were rolling under him

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
I brought Miller up back then. He has been a head coach before. Granted it was Tarleton State but still. Of course many people laughed about Tarleton State. But they were rolling under him
He would have been a better choice for interim. I think the players would have respected him and he would have been smart enough to sign a safety or two and a DL, since we wouldn’t have been signing tight ends and a complete makeover of the offense. I also doubt he would have had Peterson yacking in his ear the whole game on the sideline.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

It’s Leach’s team and Leach’s talent. And Leach could have won with it. But its not a talent rich squad that’s ready made for someone else to win with in a different system.

It’s also probably not on Leach if the talent isn’t what it needs to be. The only real recruiting that coaches can do anymore is through the portal. It’s on the boosters 100% to land the HS talent. Make no mistake about it.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
He would have been a better choice for interim. I think the players would have respected him and he would have been smart enough to sign a safety or two and a DL, since we wouldn’t have been signing tight ends and a complete makeover of the offense. I also doubt he would have had Peterson yacking in his ear the whole game on the sideline.
Peterson is likely there because a booster and athletic admin guy wanted him there

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Our Offense problems has everything to do with Play Calling not talent. They pass when they should be running and running with Jet Sweeps when they should be passing. Too any G5 high school double reverse plays that takes too long to develop. The OC does not know what to call. He is getting out coached by every DC he goes up against. At least the Defense makes adjustments. It might be at half, but they do work on issues. I give credit to adjustments to Arnett. I wish he would just take over the defense.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
honestly, just keeping the staff in place and running what we always ran would have a functional O line, a functional offense and probably win 7-8 games. it wouldn’t have looked like a total cluster#*@&, and I guarantee that team would beat this team. so what was done was the worst possible option.

Arnett Was the wrong guy to tag for interim, Miller would have probably been a more mature choice.
Miller might could have worked but I don't think anyone of them should have been tagged long term guy until the end of this season had they done well.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Agree, but i doubt Mason Miller would let him have much say on that team in regards to hiring/firing, or coaching on the sidelines.
All depends on title. He's basically acting as a gm of football much how Emerick was. Emerick just wasn't in leach's ear all game although I didn't see him much this game. I did see Campbell a lot but he is an analyst.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Miller might could have worked but I don't think anyone of them should have been tagged long term guy until the end of this season had they done well.
No none of them should have been named permanent. emerick wasn’t a booster boy, he wasn’t telling Leach who to hire.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

Same people that claimed we had to take this route because Freeze and others were trying to take our talent are 1000% now saying that Leach's recruiting was bad and we don;t have talent. Just whiffed on all those 4 star guys.

They have become the joke.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Just good ol boys trying to cover their @SS. They made horrible hiring and firing decisions and now don’t want to own up to it. I’ve read posts by two different players parents today that say this is on the coaches. I think this staff has lost the locker room

ETA : the parent of the player says “Arnett has lost the locker room. The coaches are clueless, bump gets overruled and has no say, offense has no idea what it’s doing, defense has no idea what it’s doing. Players have no confidence in the coaches“. Wow
got a link to that?

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
And how bad will be determined by who we hire. Make a great hire, it will attract the players.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login