Wrestling

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Not to be confused with wrastlin, though the thread about Anriel Howard did get me thinking.

I haven't seen a thread about it, but how is wrestling going in Mississippi? I know its finally starting to get going at the high school level. Does anybody on the board have kids participating or anything?

I think wrestling is one of the best sports for kids (particularly boys) to participate in. The weight classes give everyone a fair shot and the physical skills developed along with the self confidence are pretty hard to match. It's also an amazing development sport for football as well.

Anyhow, hope it sticks in Mississippi. I think in the next 20 years or so Mississippi could become a solid wrestling state. Cornfed wrestlers seem to do well and Mississippi has plenty of those types.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Not to be confused with wrastlin, though the thread about Anriel Howard did get me thinking.

I haven't seen a thread about it, but how is wrestling going in Mississippi? I know its finally starting to get going at the high school level. Does anybody on the board have kids participating or anything?

I think wrestling is one of the best sports for kids (particularly boys) to participate in. The weight classes give everyone a fair shot and the physical skills developed along with the self confidence are pretty hard to match. It's also an amazing development sport for football as well.

Anyhow, hope it sticks in Mississippi. I think in the next 20 years or so Mississippi could become a solid wrestling state. Cornfed wrestlers seem to do well and Mississippi has plenty of those types.
It’s not at a point where the spouse of a school teacher hears about it from her or from other parents with kids. Mine are all out of school but I hear about everything from golf to bowling to robotics but I’ve never heard anyone talk about wrestling. In Madison. maybe they don’t have it here? If so, not bigger than bowling or fishing is my answer

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
It’s not at a point where the spouse of a school teacher hears about it from her or from other parents with kids. Mine are all out of school but I hear about everything from golf to bowling to robotics but I’ve never heard anyone talk about wrestling. In Madison. maybe they don’t have it here? If so, not bigger than bowling or fishing is my answer
I’ve heard in the past that the cost and storage headache of the mats is a deterrent to some schools doing that sport. Don’t know if that’s true.

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022

I have a coworker in Alabama who is connected big in wrestling. He has coached and his kids are currently high school wrestlers. He has had some influence in trying to get it to catch on in Mississippi. It is slowly growing here, but the biggest mistake made by the guys who helped launch it was not connecting it to football. He said they should have set down with every coach across the state and explained how it would make your football team better. He thinks once that connection is made it will be pretty large across the State.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Same here. Didn't know there was a single school with wrestling in Mississippi.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I think every boy who plays sports should do 2 years of wrestling. No matter the age.

NO sport in the world is more humbling. None.

In our state, it's coed until 8th grade. There is a 95 lb girl in 7th grade that destroys the boys. Not a single OL has pinned her in practice. She made just about every one of the 8th-grade football boys cry in frustration. And our 7th grade team were 6A regional champs. This isn't Midvale School for the Blind. She looks like a Barbie doll and is a cold-blooded killer. It's amazing to watch.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I think every boy who plays sports should do 2 years of wrestling. No matter the age.

NO sport in the world is more humbling. None.

In our state, it's coed until 8th grade. There is a 95 lb girl in 7th grade that destroys the boys. Not a single OL has pinned her in practice. She made just about every one of the 8th-grade football boys cry in frustration. And our 7th grade team were 6A regional champs. This isn't Midvale School for the Blind. She looks like a Barbie doll and is a cold-blooded killer. It's amazing to watch.
I would have signed up to wrestle with girls in junior high

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
If there is an OL recruit that also is a wrestler, sign him every time.

I was in a college bar in the Midwest many years ago, and saw a fight between what I later learned was a college wrestler and a MAC offensive lineman.

There had to be over 100 lb difference in the two participants.

It was over in less than a minute and the O lineman was slobber crying with a possible broken wrist.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

I don't know of any wrestling in the Jackson metro area.

But outside the specifics, I love it. I want to push my son into that lane. He did BJJ a few years ago but we gave it up for sports. Considering the true chances of making it in sports, becoming a seasoned fighter seems like a better investment.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I was in a college bar in the Midwest many years ago, and saw a fight between what I later learned was a college wrestler and a MAC offensive lineman.

There had to be over 100 lb difference in the two participants.

It was over in less than a minute and the O lineman was slobber crying with a possible broken wrist.

There's two kinds of people I would never mess with: 1) wrestlers; and 2) MMA fighters.

Those people could twist you up into a pretzel and kill you with their bare hands.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There's two kinds of people I would never mess with: 1) wrestlers; and 2) MMA fighters.

Those people could twist you up into a pretzel and kill you with their bare hands.
Remember when those two guys whipped those OU football players' asses in that bar bathroom? They were much smaller and showed a ton of restraint.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I don't know of any wrestling in the Jackson metro area.

But outside the specifics, I love it. I want to push my son into that lane. He did BJJ a few years ago but we gave it up for sports. Considering the true chances of making it in sports, becoming a seasoned fighter seems like a better investment.
Not at NWR or Brandon to my knowledge, although I did "pin" the old lady for a three county on Saturday night.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
If there is an OL recruit that also is a wrestler, sign him every time.
Other positions as well.

I helped coach youth tackle football this year. Our program is 3rd-7th graders. It is so easy to identify the kids who wrestle. Hand and foot work on the lines as well as the use of body weight jumped out. But the other big one is tackling and or shucking tackles. Tackling is nothing but a double leg take down these days and wrestlers spend half an hour every practice shooting and defending double legs.

One Friday night at the high school game, a rival team beat our kids 30-24 or so. The other team ran some kind of flex bone offense. Their fullback was about 5-10 and 200 lbs and was an absolute beast. Dragging defenders up and down the field. Had 30 carries for 200 yards all right up the gut into heavy traffic.

The next day I was working the chain gang for the 7th grade game and that fullback had the down marker. I talked to the kid all game and he started wrestling in elementary school and won second in state his sophomore and junior year, should win it all this year. Has several full ride offers to smaller schools for wrestling and is getting courted by a D1 school.

Can't help but wonder how good Mississippi kids would be at wrestling if they grew up with it and had quality coaching. Also can't help but imagine how much better some MS football players would be for it.

Wrestling runs during basketball season, so chunksof the explosive skill position football players are going to be on the court, but if I were a high school coach I would love to have everyone else in wrestling vs powerlifting which I remember being big in MS.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login