WTVA weatherman says a prayer for Amory while on-air

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

Northern part of Amory is just utter devastation. I live in the southern part of town and I got lucky. His prayer must've worked because it's an absolute miracle there were no deaths in Amory that I know of. Deaths in Monroe County but not in the Amory City limits that I'm aware. Curfews going into effect indefinitely. No power, no water for the foreseeable future.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Saying he knows it is an understatement. Since our chase team is affiliated with WTVA we get to talk to him a lot behind the scenes. Guy is a weather genius.
oh I agree. I know there has to be quite a few people who will give him credit for such detailed weather casting saving lives. He also took the time to remind people he doesn't know everything and even if they are close to the areas he was alerting, the storm can shift dramatically between radar scans.

Go back to the track of the El Reno F5 if you wonder what he is talking about.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
He may have saved mine and he probably did save my neighbor. We were in the path of the tornado that hit Amory out in the county. I'm lucky, I lost several hundred trees , a bunch of shingles, all the glass in my truck and my shop garage door. My neighbor lost everything and the church just beyond him is gone. I've never been scared of weather but this thing scared me. This is the first time I've sat down since it happened. Two people, a father and a 1-2 year old child died about a mile from here. I haven't seen a death total but heard three in Monroe county. We won't have power for days or weeks per the electric department. I'm thankful for good friends who ran chainsaws and equipment all day yesterday and the fact that the weather is mild enough for me to sleep in my own bed last night. I haven't been to Amory but I can't imagine the destruction in a concentration of homes like I can see from my house.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Don't know if any of you follow Ryan Hall but he's another MSU meteorologist/good guy with a huge following. He's already raised over 120K to send to Mississippi victims.

Correction: He dropped out of MSU to get a jump start on his broadcasting career but he's a damn good and compassionate "weather man"

Last edited:
Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
He may have saved mine and he probably did save my neighbor. We were in the path of the tornado that hit Amory out in the county. I'm lucky, I lost several hundred trees , a bunch of shingles, all the glass in my truck and my shop garage door. My neighbor lost everything and the church just beyond him is gone. I've never been scared of weather but this thing scared me. This is the first time I've sat down since it happened. Two people, a father and a 1-2 year old child died about a mile from here. I haven't seen a death total but heard three in Monroe county. We won't have power for days or weeks per the electric department. I'm thankful for good friends who ran chainsaws and equipment all day yesterday and the fact that the weather is mild enough for me to sleep in my own bed last night. I haven't been to Amory but I can't imagine the destruction in a concentration of homes like I can see from my house.
I'm glad that you're safe and your neighbor is as well. I have lots of friends and family in Smithville & Amory, and so far, I'm lucky that they are all safe. Several still don't have power, but I spoke with a friend this morning in Smithville. He said they were letting people in today to work with crews to assist those who had damage and start restoring electricity and other utilities as they can and start cleaning up the mess. He lost everything in 2011 to the tornado that hit Smithville. He said it just makes him sick seeing all of this because he knows how it feels and wants to do everything he can to help them while he's off work.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login