XFL and USFL are merging to form the UFL...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What's the niche here? Problem with all these leagues is that they are just the same ole same ole and they can't capture an audience by just being 'football'. That's what so many people miss out on, there has to be tribalism, us vs. them, etc., and if not, you better have the best overall players.

I'm glad that there's an opportunity for some of these guys to make a little money, but I don't see the point. Just sounds like a bunch of dudes trying to start a second NFL, which won't ever work.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
What's the niche here? Problem with all these leagues is that they are just the same ole same ole and they can't capture an audience by just being 'football'. That's what so many people miss out on, there has to be tribalism, us vs. them, etc., and if not, you better have the best overall players.

I'm glad that there's an opportunity for some of these guys to make a little money, but I don't see the point. Just sounds like a bunch of dudes trying to start a second NFL, which won't ever work.
Bingo. The NFL already had a minor league and it’s called college football. Same with the NBA and college basketball. The reason college football/basketball is so popular is because of school pride and tribalism. Not the second rate game play. Nobody watches the G League because it’s second rate basketball, but millions watch college basketball because of the school brands. If college football continues down the road of being a minor league sport and loses the school connection, it will lose fans who love the sport for that reason. They’ll just watch the NFL and its superior brand of football.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
It’s a second chance for some guys to impress the scouts and possibly get on with a NFL team. This league will have a much better chance to succeed long term and should be some pretty decent football.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It’s a second chance for some guys to impress the scouts and possibly get on with a NFL team. This league will have a much better chance to succeed long term and should be some pretty decent football.
Why will it have a much better chance? These leagues have always been second chances.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Bingo. The NFL already had a minor league and it’s called college football. Same with the NBA and college basketball. The reason college football/basketball is so popular is because of school pride and tribalism. Not the second rate game play. Nobody watches the G League because it’s second rate basketball, but millions watch college basketball because of the school brands. If college football continues down the road of being a minor league sport and loses the school connection, it will lose fans who love the sport for that reason. They’ll just watch the NFL and its superior brand of football.
Leave the Gleague out of this narrative and it'll read a lot better than it does right now.
While I'll agree that basically nobody watches the Gleauge, it is a legit minor league and NBA rosters over the last 6+ years are filled with players that spent time in the Gleague.

I chose 6+ years since that's when D turned to G.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Leave the Gleague out of this narrative and it'll read a lot better than it does right now.
While I'll agree that basically nobody watches the Gleauge, it is a legit minor league and NBA rosters over the last 6+ years are filled with players that spent time in the Gleague.

I chose 6+ years since that's when D turned to G.
A minor league system of some type could possibly work. But that's not what this is.

That could be a niche, but football doesn't really lend itself to a developmental type structure, since it's so physical and players have shelf lives. It'd have to be alternative to college, so I'm guessing that idea will never get off the ground.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
GLeague is minor league NBA. That’s its purpose. They don’t care if people watch it. It’s a great place to get young players and rookies playing time instead of just sitting at the end of the bench on an NBA roster.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
The point is to make money. Lots of people will watch football in the spring. Not enough for 2 leagues but one might can get by

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
My only question is why are we letting Bob Stoops coach for a pro team in the Spring?

I remember back in the day when Memphis had the original Showboats that they were pretty well supported for a spring league team. Had several 40K+ crowds and the football was a decent level. Mike Kelly was a QB, Reggie White played DT, and Pepper Rodgers was the coach. If the UFL could get back to some sort of quality play like that, then it might take hold. Possibly pick off some NFL prospects if the owners got some cash to throw around. I'll go and watch if the weather is reasonable.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
College should never have been the NFL's minor league. It's just the way things developed. Minor league baseball existed before college baseball really got off the ground. By contrast, college football was very popular before the NFL even formed.

With major college reforms coming soon, I could see an NFL minor league becoming attractive. I don't know how a UFL salary will compare to the NIL money paid to a backup lineman, but it might be an attractive option. I know I would much rather see some of these transfer portal guys go play in the UFL instead of transferring to a rival.

But, yeah, without people watching the games it isn't viable. I used to love the old USFL of the 80s, that Trump killed. And then there was "HE HATE ME" in the original XFL, which died quickly.

They should hire the Savannah Bananas guy for some marketing advice.

Reactions: DawgsNCowboys87

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I remember back in the day when Memphis had the original Showboats that they were pretty well supported for a spring league team. Had several 40K+ crowds and the football was a decent level. Mike Kelly was a QB, Reggie White played DT, and Pepper Rodgers was the coach. If the UFL could get back to some sort of quality play like that, then it might take hold. Possibly pick off some NFL prospects if the owners got some cash to throw around. I'll go and watch if the weather is reasonable.
The original USFL used what they called a "regional draft" that gave teams first choice for players from certain colleges. The idea was local fans would get excited about seeing their college players.

Somehow, though, State got assigned to the New Jersey Generals. That's how Kent Hull, Wayne Harris. Johnny Miller, Danny Knight, and others wound up with the Generals.

Hershey Walker played there, but he was signed as a FA. He didn't enter the draft because he was only a Junior. Doug Flutie played there instead of signing with the Rams.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
My only question is why are we letting Bob Stoops coach for a pro team in the Spring?

The Office Thank You GIF

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Decided to look up some info on original USFL contracts and my what a difference 40 years makes. Some highlights:

USFL vs. NFL: The Wages Of This War Get Higher All the Time By Paul Attner June 19, 1983

"God bless 'em, every one of the rookies," said Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann, who last year agreed to a $1.5 million, four-year contract that now is being topped by almost all of the best 1983 rookies. "This is accomplishing for us what the strike and not having free agency couldn't do. I don't resent them a bit.

Consider this: at least two quarterbacks, Elway of the NFL and Jim Kelly of the USFL's Houston Gamblers, will earn a larger base salary their first pro season than did the highest-paid 1983 NFL quarterback (Buffalo's Joe Ferguson at $440,000). Elway will make $600,000, Kelly about $500,000. Theismann, the NFC's top-rated quarterback in 1983, will make about $300,000.

Four of the initial 12 first-round players signed by the NFL this spring received 1983 base salaries exceeding $160,000, which was the highest base paid to any 1982 rookie (Johnie Cooks, Baltimore).

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

The niche is that it's now funded by TV networks so football junkies can get their fix in between traditional football seasons, and NFL teams have feeder/minor league pools to pull players from.

Reactions: Dawgg

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Why will it have a much better chance? These leagues have always been second chances.
This one isn't being run by some dude wanting to compete with the NFL. They aren't even trying to draw fans. Tickets are cheap and half the stadiums are tarped off. It's all funded by TV networks.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
This iteration will never get to that level. The old USFL was competing with the NFL for top players. Guys who would have gone top five in NFL drafts were bolting to the USFL. That version had billionaires behind it trying to compete with the NFL. This version is funded by TV networks for a niche audience to serve as a feeder league for the NFL.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Bleh, it'll last two seasons max.
Fox Sports made a 10 year commitment to it, and I think I read somewhere that the NFL is even subsidizing it somewhat, although I can't find verification of that.

If the WNBA can last as long as it has, so can this. The biggest reason the USFL folded initially is because they couldn't get a TV deal. USFL/XFL games had pretty good ratings last spring.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Fox Sports made a 10 year commitment to it, and I think I read somewhere that the NFL is even subsidizing it somewhat, although I can't find verification of that.

If the WNBA can last as long as it has, so can this. The biggest reason the USFL folded initially is because they couldn't get a TV deal. USFL/XFL games had pretty good ratings last spring.
Most weeks the XFL and USFL averaged around what most bowl games get. The exceptions were the first couple weeks of the season they had much higher ratings and it fell off a little but still solid.

To put it in perspective their tv ratings were nearly equal to Saturday baseball on Fox and some NBA games so I would say the TV networks are pretty pleased with the audiences. Should be as little better with the merger.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Most weeks the XFL and USFL averaged around what most bowl games get. The exceptions were the first couple weeks of the season they had much higher ratings and it fell off a little but still solid.

To put it in perspective their tv ratings were nearly equal to Saturday baseball on Fox and some NBA games so I would say the TV networks are pretty pleased with the audiences. Should be as little better with the merger.
Yeah USFL games averaged around 750k viewers and XFL games averaged around 690k viewers from the article I saw. Like you said, it usually trails off toward the end of the year. But it's not insignificant. It gets better ratings than just about anything else those networks are putting in that time slot.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

It’s mid-March. You’ve been outside all day and done some yardwork or been to your kids’ soccer games. Now you’ve come inside, taken a shower, and have a couple of hours to rest before dinner. You don’t like basketball or hockey and baseball season hasn’t really started yet.

Or, it’s mid to late February. It’s wet and freezing outside. You don’t like basketball or hockey and baseball season hasn’t really started yet.

Or, you’re a father of 3 and your kids enjoy going to sporting events, but most professional and college tickets are cost-prohibitive for you, 3 kids and your spouse and this is a relatively cheap way to give your family a live sports experience.

The real “niche” is people that want live sports in person or on TV during a period where basketball and hockey were the only options.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
They need to only place teams in cities that don't have NFL teams. That's the only way they'll ever get fans to care, and probably in cities that aren't in line to get an NFL team in the next expansion/relocation.
I tend to agree, but I think they did a pretty good mix of new/existing markets. I could definitely see people in Memphis, Birmingham, San Antonio, or St. Louis saying “screw it, I’ll adopt these guys. I hope they do well” more than folks in existing NFL markets.

That being said, Arlington has the old Rangers stadium just sitting there doing nothing and it’s still in really good shape, so that kind of makes sense. Washington is using their MLS/NWSL stadium, which will be the smallest at 20K and actually might end up with the best atmosphere of any of them. I don’t know where Houston is playing yet. I’m a little surprised about Ford Field in Detroit, but I guess they needed a team in the north and I’m assuming they got a good deal on the lease.

No NY/NJ, California, Chicago, or Florida teams is interesting though. I’m guessing they were cost-prohibitive.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It’s mid-March. You’ve been outside all day and done some yardwork or been to your kids’ soccer games. Now you’ve come inside, taken a shower, and have a couple of hours to rest before dinner. You don’t like basketball or hockey and baseball season hasn’t really started yet.

Or, it’s mid to late February. It’s wet and freezing outside. You don’t like basketball or hockey and baseball season hasn’t really started yet.

Or, you’re a father of 3 and your kids enjoy going to sporting events, but most professional and college tickets are cost-prohibitive for you, 3 kids and your spouse and this is a relatively cheap way to give your family a live sports experience.

The real “niche” is people that want live sports in person or on TV during a period where basketball and hockey were the only options.
I get your point, but I'm more of a football in fall, basketball/hockey in winter, baseball/golf in spring sort of guy. I have no idea when soccer season is. But I like tradition, and I like for sports to be about more than the game. I like winning to mean something.

That's why when I see something is driven by just lazy TV eyeballs, I tend to think they may not be looking at the whole ball of yarn.

That's just me though. I'd be curious as to if that resonates with anyone else.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I get your point, but I'm more of a football in fall, basketball/hockey in winter, baseball/golf in spring sort of guy. I have no idea when soccer season is. But I like tradition, and I like for sports to be about more than the game. I like winning to mean something.

That's why when I see something is driven by just lazy TV eyeballs, I tend to think they may not be looking at the whole ball of yarn.

Well judging by ratings it resonates enough to justify it.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022

NFL is moving to a regulating system like soccer so Carolina is set to be moved down to the new league and they'll promote their champion up to the NFL****

It would create some drama at the bottom of the standings each year and ensure that league survived thus giving a lot of other players jobs/opportunities....wait maybe this is where NIL and portal is headed.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
I think the biggest problem with these types of leagues is that there aren't enough quality quarterbacks in the world to fill all the open QB spots. Look how bad the NFL teams get on offense when their QB gets hurt or if they don't have a good one to start with. They can't even find 32 NFL starting caliber QBs, much less backups for each team.

The same issue filters down to these "minor" leagues, except there's way more defensive talent proportionally than QB's, which results in a sloppy product with ugly offensive football that nobody wants to watch.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

I get the seasonal thing, but honestly, unless the Grizzlies are doing well, I don’t give a sнit about the NBA and I feel the same way about the Predators and NHL. Ja’s suspension and Adams’ injury have pretty much guaranteed the Grizz are doing jackshitofnothing this season and the Predators are doing ok, but realistically the NHL is about the same as what I described with the UFL (meh, it’s on, I finished Letterkenny, and I don’t feel like reading a book.)

I’m not sure about your point about “lazy TV eyeballs” though. Every major professional league is about TV eyeballs. The NFL, the NBA, the NHL, MLB, and MLS have value because they bring in TV eyeballs. A Tennessee Titans vs Jacksonville Jaguars game doesn’t have value because they hold some ethereal battle between the spirits of the cities of Nashville and Jacksonville. The game has value because some number of people will pay money to watch that game and/or advertisers will pay money to put their ads in front of the people watching that game. That’s it.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Meh. I’m suffering from football fatigue as it is with a month of college and/or pro to go.

What else is on?

Nov 20, 2023
That kicker Dallas got from the USFL should make the NFL take a good look at many other of these guys.
Man hell yea Brandon Aubrey is absolutely something special and the Cowboys know it. They better hang onto that guy because not only is he consistent but I saw one of his long FGs the other day that probably would’ve been good for 66-67 yds. Hell it was a 60yd FG and it sailed through the up rights high up and still had some velocity on it. Color me impressed as hell at 35 of 35

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’m not sure about your point about “lazy TV eyeballs” though. Every major professional league is about TV eyeballs. The NFL, the NBA, the NHL, MLB, and MLS have value because they bring in TV eyeballs. A Tennessee Titans vs Jacksonville Jaguars game doesn’t have value because they hold some ethereal battle between the spirits of the cities of Nashville and Jacksonville. The game has value because some number of people will pay money to watch that game and/or advertisers will pay money to put their ads in front of the people watching that game. That’s it.
I wonder how much. Because for me, I care about MSU obviously and therefore I care about college football and will watch other games from time to time, mainly SEC (because it's related to MSU) or the playoff (because obviously it's the national title).

Now, let's discuss pro leagues. I watch the NFL because I like football, but not as passionate about it as college. So I'm the definition of a lazy eyeball for the NFL. I am really not sure if it's people like me that make the money for the NFL, or it's the passionate fans of the NFL (basically the NFL version of what I described about myself in the first paragraph). There are TONS of those type people in this country.

Both of these, college and pro, have the best of the best athletes too. That's unique to football. Move to basketball, it's less successful. Then baseball, even less (I'm talking at the college level).

So all that said, the NFL has both passionate fans AND lazy TV eyeballs. I wonder how much success you can really have without both, and when some type of subsidy comes in. All I know is that it will likely never enter to my mind to watch the USXFL or whatever this will be named, without some significant marketing. Too many other better options available for my lazy eyes. NASCAR and golf are much better for an afternoon couch nap in the spring, than a random football game with no niche at all.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I went to a couple of Showboats games last year. It was perfectly acceptable fun, and cheap. It was pretty nice to be able to decide, on a whim, hey, let's go to a football game. My only issues are that there won't be much in the way of player continuity, so it will be tough to really become invested fans. If a player is worth a crap, he's getting a call by an NFL team, and the rosters are going to be in constant turnover.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login