XFL and USFL is too much.....

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
much spring football. There only needs to be one spring league. I think these 2 leagues should merge and become one. Then, I believe fans of all those teams could really get into it more and you'd see much more support and ticket sales.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I haven’t watched 2 seconds of either. Any state players to watch?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I don't disagree. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

IMO all these leagues are like watching a preseason NFL game. It's good for about 3 minutes, then you are changing the channel. The quality of play simply isn't there to keep me engaged.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I don't disagree. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

IMO all these leagues are like watching a preseason NFL game. It's good for about 3 minutes, then you are changing the channel. The quality of play simply isn't there to keep me engaged.
That's one of the main reasons I'd like to see them merge together. It would cut out a lot of tweeners who shouldn't be playing any kind of pro ball. Of course the play will never be to NFL levels, and no one expected it to be. It is football though and one league with more teams would generate more interest. I recognized a few names and remember seeing a QB named Jordan Ta'mau( (sp?) ....wasn't he at Ole Miss? Sounds familiar, but not sure.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Alternative leagues to the NFL have been tried for years, the original USFL in 1982 is the first in my memory. There's a reason they all have folded, nobody wants to pay to watch minor league football, its like preseason or spring training. It's players you've seldom if ever heard of playing in front of small crowds a lot of times in crappy venues. They've used gimmicky rules to try and drum up interest, colorful balls, lots of cheerleaders (my favorite gimmick) but it all boils down to the fact its just a bunch of unknowns. I would choose it above Pro Rasslin if I was flipping channels but it would be one of my last choices of sports related content to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
We went to a couple of the Tampa Bay Bandit games back when they started up. Great experience and I was really hoping that the league would survive. Personally, I look at the USFL same as the NFL. I don't get hooked on the big name players. One of my favorite movies is The Replacements. If you pick a team in the USFL or XFL and start following them you will eventually get hooked.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
One thing that has made the NFL and CB so successful is scarcity. There are only a few games (compared to to other sports) and they mostly only play on one day/week. But with seasons expanding and the NFL trying to take over Thursday nights, I wonder of that will hurt them long term. I don't watch regular season MLB or NBA partly because one game is meaningless.

Reactions: aTotal360

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Neither will do much, like the CFL, unless they attach themselves to the NFL somehow, like MiLB. And MiLB is really not that popular either.

For a sport to thrive and have fans, fans have to somehow attach themselves to the tribalism. The whole 'competition' and 'parity' thing only go so far.....you have to also have a ton of fans who are invested in their teams. And it's hard to get the tribalism if you don't have access to the best players available.

If we want more football, we need to simply expand the NFL. Having a spring season of something else is not the answer.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
much spring football. There only needs to be one spring league. I think these 2 leagues should merge and become one. Then, I believe fans of all those teams could really get into it more and you'd see much more support and ticket sales.
Is there a market in either for an old, undersized linebacker who never tackled very well?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login