Ya Boy Non State Edition?

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
When were the days for 450 pounders? I missed that era of football.
It wasn't all that long ago when Refrigerator Perry burst onto the scene as a rookie in 1985 and amazed everyone with his size. He tipped the scales at a whopping 308 lbs (He also stole Walter Payton's only chance at a Super Bowl TD, but I'll save my rant on that for later.)

It wasn't but 10 or so years later when Jackie Wayne's offensive line at State averaged over 300 lbs. It's kind of amazing how quickly the population could have such a collective growth spurt like that.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Wasn't there a lineman on Jackie's early teams by the name Jason Wisner (sp?) around 400lbs or something similar. Powerlifter if I remember correctly. Basically only played on goal line formations, but man was he a beast.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Wasn't there a lineman on Jackie's early teams by the name Jason Wisner (sp?) around 400lbs or something similar. Powerlifter if I remember correctly. Basically only played on goal line formations, but man was he a beast.
Don't remember his weight but do remember he threw the shot put and was pretty dang good at that. I think he was from around Natchez

Reactions: Pookieray

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Wisner was a beast strength-wise. Like world class power lifting champion type strength. But I wouldn't think he weighed anything close to 400. I used to know him in school a little, and in my memory he was roughly the same size as other linemen we had. Maybe a little wider. I don't think he was 70 or 80 lbs bigger than any of them. But strong as an ox and mean as hell. I say that in a good, football way. He was a fun guy to hang out with.

Reactions: Pookieray

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Wisner was a beast strength-wise. Like world class power lifting champion type strength. But I wouldn't think he weighed anything close to 400. I used to know him in school a little, and in my memory he was roughly the same size as other linemen we had. Maybe a little wider. I don't think he was 70 or 80 lbs bigger than any of them. But strong as an ox and mean as hell. I say that in a good, football way. He was a fun guy to hang out with.
Found something from back in the day.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Seems like his name was Applewhite or something close to that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login