Yes, we are 1-5 in the SEC in baseball..........

cowbell9

Nov 15, 2005
...however, the west leader has 3 losses. mississippi is obviously overated and Arky/LSU are suspect. Not that ouur 1-5 is less than terrible, but, we ain't out of it yet boys. mississippi is in for a let down year...again. Fl is the out of nowhere team in the East, with SC...in the West? Wide <17>ing open. 13 wins in the SEC could win the west.

cowbell9

Nov 15, 2005
...however, the west leader has 3 losses. mississippi is obviously overated and Arky/LSU are suspect. Not that ouur 1-5 is less than terrible, but, we ain't out of it yet boys. mississippi is in for a let down year...again. Fl is the out of nowhere team in the East, with SC...in the West? Wide <17>ing open. 13 wins in the SEC could win the west.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
With our pathetic performance to date, even if we finished .500 in SEC play and WON the West OUTRIGHT, we wouldn't be going to the NCAA tournament. Of course, in reality, i don't know why i'm even posting such a ridiculous "if" statement as we have zero chance of getting back to .500 in SEC play.

BFB

cowbell9

Nov 15, 2005
...we will be on the road (again) to a regional. Reason? because we are MSU and regardless of the record (as long as we are close) we will be in. 30 wins and we are a lock because of our name.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
I disagree that 13 wins will win the west. I think Ole Miss will beat the weaker teams in the West because of Lance Lynn and win some more series in there with their other pitchers.

What's really sad is this:

IF we had any pitching whatsoever, we probably win the West. We had Ole Miss at home this year, and if we had a clue as to how to handle pitchers, Matt Lea is still with us and our ace, and then Pigott and Crosswhite are slotted where they are supposed to be. Our offense is not 85 caliber by any means, but we're not bad either. I suspect that our offense would be a little bit better knowing that they don't have to score 10 to have a shot at winning a game. With healthy pitching, I think we win 2/3 from Ole Miss which would put us in the driver's seat with a lot of weaker teams left.

I think this week is make or break for our team. We must beat USA twice (doable) and then win 2/3 from Georgia. Polk has struggled with them since his return. But we are at home. With our pitching and coaching, I would not be shocked with losing four or all five.

When is our "knowledgable" fan base going to wake up?

cowbell9

Nov 15, 2005
....the aweep at SC wasnt suprising.....I think the team understands that we need 4 of 5 out of this week.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
cowbell9 said:
30 wins and we are a lock because of our name.

</p>believe that we will get 30 wins this year? We are almost halfway done with the season and are 3 games under .500. If we make a Regional, which I don't believe that we would if we had a losing record, I don't care if we have New York Yankee jerseys on, they won't put us in. If we did it would be because of LT, no doubt about it. At some point you have to be justified by what the team actually does on the field, regardless of injuries, youth, scholarship limitations, or the sun.

I don't think it will happen. If we did, it just proves how easy it is to get into a Regional. And as an MSU fan I would have no problem with this team staying home.

GOPdog

Jun 24, 2007
I think it's too soon to say OM will be overrated. They may end up mailing it in, but its only 2 series in. Heck, didn't we go 5-1 in our first two in 2006 and not even make the SEC tournament? I believe we swept Tennessee and took 2 of 3 from LSU. Anyways, I think we suck at baseball this year, but OM just has some kinks to work out. We'll see.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
I'll admit i did forget to include the future non-conference games into my analysis. Still though, if we finish 15-15 in the SEC, and 6-3 in our non-conference schedule, that gets us to 30-25. I don't think that's quite gonna do it, especially as bad as our RPI is right now due to such terrible losses (N. Florida, Air Force, etc).

BFB

cowbell9

Nov 15, 2005
mississippi juco would run away with it. They ain't. LSU sucks, Awby sucks ,Bama sucks. Arky sucks...we are not out of it yet. Tourny time, pitching is healthy and....here we go!!!!

GOPdog

Jun 24, 2007
cowbell9 said:
mississippi juco would run away with it. They ain't.

That's just the thing, it's only 2 weeks into league play. If we're still 3 GB in a month, then lets talk.</p>But, in an attempt to say something positive about our baseball team, Forrest Moore looked solid out of the pen last weekend. I really think he was just nervous against OM, therefore his breaking ball wasn't breaking and his fastball was only topping out at 86. Lets hope he can get his nerves under him so that we can maybe move Swindle to Friday and get him in as a weekend starter or a midweek starter (therefore prevent Crosswhite from touching the mound)

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
yes, his era is high, but that was because of two really bad outings. The rest have been pretty solid. One of those outings was the one you referred to- which was his first SEC start.

I don't know if he's going to be our ace, but I do think he will be one of the better Sat-Sun guys that we will have in the next two years.

I'm hoping that we get Nick Routt and he becomes our ace. Let's hope that we fire McNickle at the very least, and start using ice.</p>

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
We just got the dreaded sweep this past weekend. I don't care if it was surprising or not, it'll be very hard for us to recover from that one. We don't have a great OOC record to lift us up when we finish below .500 in the SEC this year. If we somehow make a regional it will be based only on our name and we will be out quickly. Forgive me for not being super excited about that prospect.

inthedawghouse

Feb 28, 2008
Todd,

you said,
...had a clue as to how to handle pitchers, Matt Lea is still with us and our ace...

I think I know the answer to this but would like for you to explain. Why do you think Matt Lea left?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
that didn't even pitch for his high school team as a junior?

If Forrest Moore and Jared Holloway didn't instantly become our aces, I don't think Routt will.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
1. Talented backups

and

2. A coach that doesn't put up with underperformance that long. Andy Rice would have had his walking papers under Bianco long before he was able to hit that grand slam against Auburn. And Tyler Moore would be on the bench.

Not to mention that 1/3 of the way through the season we lead the conference in striking out and grounding into DPs (by a LOT)

OMlawdog

Feb 27, 2008
Once you get past Lynn and Bittle, are pitching is mediocre.

Once you get past Power and Overbeck, are offense is mediocre.

Our defense is horrible.

Unless we make major improvements in all facets of the game we will be lucky to make a regional.

patdog

May 28, 2007
When your RPI is below Mississippi Valley's 1/3 of the way into the season, it's a strong clue that your team sucks. I don't care how many games back we are now, we don't have the team to contend for the West.</p>

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I think ole miss is probably well above average. The problem is that Bianco ran his mouth in the offseason about how great this team was going to be. You just don't lose Ju. Henry, Zack Cozart and Will Kline and not miss a beat.

The only real surprise is why Jo. Henry is playing so poorly.

G

Goat Holder

that losing Cozart was going to be a HUGE blow. MSU learned this the hard way after Manny left. Easy to take an automatic SS for granted.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
Todd4State wrote:If we make a Regional, which I
don't believe that we would if we had a losing record, I don't care if we have New York Yankee jerseys on, they won't put us in.

</p>

I believe that there is a rule where they can't take a team for an at large bid in the NCAA tourney if they are below .500 overall.

That rule bit Florida last year. They had an RPI in the 30s I believe and would've been the 6th team taken from the SEC, except they played a tough OOC schedule and lost enough OOC games where they finished 1 game below .500. Had they won one more SECT game they'd have gotten to .500 and been given an NCAA bid. So right now, that may be the most important thing for MSU baseball to do, try to get back to .500 overall. You can't afford many more OOC losses, and you'll have to win a decent number of conference games to get back to that point to even have a shot at a bid.

All is not lost however. In 2006, we started out I believe 11-7, 1-5, and we went on to win 17 conference games and host a regional. You're just going to need to find a pitcher or two that haven't stepped up yet. If that happens, you'll have a shot at a turnaround.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login