Yesterday's game reminded me of the 1991 Liberty Bowl

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Although the 91 team was only 7-4 in the regular season, the team finished with a 4-3 conference record with the only bad loss to number 14 UF, 29-7. I felt great going into the Liberty Bowl vs. AF. Although not having a single player (maybe a kicker/punter?) who would have started at South Panola, AF gave us our worst loss of the year, a humiliating 36-15 beat down.

Last edited:

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Triple option. They took us to school, as did other triple option teams we’ve played. Air Force held the ball for almost 40 minutes. Their qb Rob Perez had like 26 carries for 120 yards. They only threw 2 passes the entire game.

I still believe if Watson Brown hadn’t have left so soon, that we could have been headed in this dominant triple option direction offensively in a big way. After he left the Kang went to more pro style.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Although the 91 team was only 7-4 in the regular season, the team finished with a 4-3 conference record with the only bad loss to number 14 UF, 29-7. I felt great going into the Liberty Bowl vs. AF. Although not having a single player (maybe a kicker/punter?) who would have started at South Panola, AF gave us our worst loss of the year, a humiliating 36-15 beat down.
I sat right under the press box, and it was fine until about the 8th inning. We had to go down once the sun went down. My son planned ahead and wore his crocs!*****

By the time we left, I was frozen. It went downhill really quickly.

And we didn’t even get the digital camo giveaway hats! That sucked…. They didn’t arrive in time.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
I'm still frozen from that game. Worst MSU game I attended due to conditions. Second place, LSU 47 MSU 0.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
1991 Liberty Bowl was one of the loudest cowbell events ever. I was so excited. MSU owned the crowd and AF owned us on the field from start to finish. Our defenders looked like they were running in cement. AF's wishbone sliced and diced us with smaller, but quicker O-Linemen. Their blocking was precise and devastating. I have always dreaded playing a wishbone team ever since that game. The best thing about that evening was.......we actually made a bowl game after a long multi-year drought. Even though we got our a$$ kicked, most of our fans were optimistic about the future under the Kang!

Last edited:

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
1991 Liberty Bowl was one of the loudest cowbell events ever. I was so excited. MSU owned the crowd and AF owned us on the field from start to finish. Our defenders looked like they were running in cement. AF's wishbone sliced and diced us with smaller, but quicker O-Linemen. Their blocking was precise and devastating. I have always dreaded playing a wishbone team ever since that game.
I had friends that saw our team at Platinum Plus at 4 am.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
I'm still frozen from that game. Worst MSU game I attended due to conditions. Second place, LSU 47 MSU 0.
That game was right around 30 degrees.....very cold. However, the hottest and coldest games I ever attended were in the same stadium.....The Liberty Bowl. Hottest was a MSU vs Memphis St. game around 100+ degrees, and the coldest was a Liberty Bowl matchup between Notre Dame and Boston College....temp was right at O degrees (I walked around the stadium concourse just to keep the blood flowing). Most comfortable game was our Liberty Bowl matchup a few years ago with TTech under Leach......was a perfect 72 degrees....and of course, the Red Raiders stomped a mudhole in us.

Last edited:

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
I ran into Kette Dornbusch at The Landing a couple of months after the game. Kette was a starting LB on the '91 AF team. He said more than a few of our guys were hungover and unable to giving 100% that night.

Reactions: knock him out john

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Triple option. They took us to school, as did other triple option teams we’ve played. Air Force held the ball for almost 40 minutes. Their qb Rob Perez had like 26 carries for 120 yards. They only threw 2 passes the entire game.

Unfortunately, the year before in the liberty ole mess schooled them. My friend and I had tix. Ole mess fans were there, and drunk off their asses rooting for injuries of the AF team. 10 year olds screaming "get em a body bag" and hurling their empty dickel bottles. Ole mess was throwing bombs midway through the 4th quarter. It stunk in general.

• Haha
Reactions: bulldoghair
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login