Yikes. Hope nobody has a morning flight.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Ummm…

file was too large, but I took a screen shot of my flight aware app and there are thousands of planes flying in the US at this moment.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
If this is proven to be software failure Southwest is gonna LMFAO.

grinningmule

Jul 15, 2021

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Glad we have Buttigieg in charge of transportation. ******** Thanks Brandon!
Meme Reaction GIF

Reactions: GloryDawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
That depends on it you think taxpayer-paid stock buybacks are "waste".
Yes, I do. They should have updated systems. Even the FAA received 70 billion plus. You saw what happen today. These are freaking airplanes in the sky with people in them. There's no finder bender in the sky. Use the money that benefits all Americans. Trillions of dollars given away without oversite. Hopefully it will be investigated over the next two years and find out what happen to all the money.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Yes, I do. They should have updated systems. Even the FAA received 70 billion plus. You saw what happen today. These are freaking airplanes in the sky with people in them. There's no finder bender in the sky. Use the money that benefits all Americans. Trillions of dollars given away without oversite. Hopefully it will be investigated over the next two years and find out what happen to all the money.
Preaching to the choir. Most of this board was against attaching any strings to the airline bailout at the time. Experience says they will be again for the next one in a few years.

Next two years? There's no chance the GOP House will investigate this. They love stock buybacks and handing taxpayer money to corps. Love it. Let's see how they voted:

As I expected, almost all of the GOP and most of the Dems (usually half the Dems, 2/3 in this case). That's how these corrupt bills usually break down.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That's my bet. China, Russia or Iran.
Either that or a 17up doing a system update. NOTAM is a weird thing to hack, unless it was done because it's weird and not protected the way more obvious targets are and/or because it was something that could be hacked and cause major problems, but not dispatch Seal Team 6 kind of problems.

I suspect the former, just because we have a lot of bureaucracies that have been coasting off infrastructure and competence built up by previous generations. Bueacracies are never a meritocracy, but there historically has been some belief that you had to take care of minimum deliverables first before you focus on political favors and graft. Now I'm not even sure you can call the mission secondary. Buttigeg had basically zero business being transportation secretary, but he checked a single "demographic" box and had a stint at McKinsey and that was enough. Which would be fine if there was some focus on having competent high ranking officials to be responsible so the main political appointee can be a figurehead with zero relevant competencies.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
Either that or a 17up using a system update. NOTAM is a weird thing to hack, unless it was done because it's weird and not protected the way more obvious targets are and/or because it was something that could be hacked and cause major problems, but not dispatch Seal Team 6 kind of problems.

I suspect the former, just because we have a lot of bureaucracies that have been coasting off infrastructure and competence built up by previous generations. Bueacracies are never a meritocracy, but there historically has been some belief that you had to take care of minimum deliverables first before you focus on political favors and graft. Now I'm not even sure you can call the mission secondary. Buttigeg had basically zero business being transportation secretary, but he checked a single "demographic" box and had a stint at McKinsey and that was enough. Which would be fine if there was some focus on having competent high ranking officials to be responsible so the main political appointee can be a figurehead with zero relevant competencies.
I very strongly suspect the former. Not every computer system failure is a hack. And these systems are decades out of date.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Either that or a 17up doing a system update. NOTAM is a weird thing to hack, unless it was done because it's weird and not protected the way more obvious targets are and/or because it was something that could be hacked and cause major problems, but not dispatch Seal Team 6 kind of problems.

Buttigiegs qualifications are that he's a corporate tool. He's going to protect the airlines as much as he can. Then move on to some other gig where he protects those corps as much as he can, then wind up with cushy Board gigs.

Biden has been better than Obama on this sort of thing (see the good work the FTC is doing), but this type of corruption runs deep in America right now.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I very strongly suspect the former. Not every computer system failure is a hack. And these systems are decades out of date.
I don't know much about them, but airports and airplanes seem to be a weird mix of state of the art tech and old tech. I'm not sure if that's because so many airplanes are out there and they don't want to force equipment updates or because the old tech is viewed as more robust b/c it's simple or just a lack of investment. I went on a tour in an air traffic control room (I guess that's what you call it? it was not in the tower) and it was dark and the screens looked like something from the 1980's. And people were doing **** with rulers/straight edges and there was lots of what sounded like whispering going on into headsets and it seems like that couldn't be the system that consistently kept planes from running into each other at busy airports.

Reactions: patdog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Buttigiegs qualifications are that he's a corporate tool. He's going to protect the airlines as much as he can. Then move on to some other gig where he protects those corps as much as he can, then wind up with cushy Board gigs.

Biden has been better than Obama on this sort of thing (see the good work the FTC is doing), but this type of corruption runs deep in America right now.
Whores are a dime a dozen and you could easily find some that would be competent while also being whores. The problem is that the competency part has been exchanged for the box checking. Traditionally you need the competency to make the whoring less painful for the public. A minimally competent transportation secretary could constantly sell out the public and the public would never even know their name b/c they'd keep things running smoothly enough that nobody would think of them.

Reactions: aTotal360

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Whores are a dime a dozen and you could easily find some that would be competent while also being whores. The problem is that the competency part has been exchanged for the box checking. Traditionally you need the competency to make the whoring less painful for the public. A minimally competent transportation secretary could constantly sell out the public and the public would never even know their name b/c they'd keep things running smoothly enough that nobody would think of them.
Yeah but high profile whores are a bit harder to find. Butt wasn't recruited and funded to be mayor or DOT Sec one day. They have higher goals than that.

Competency has nothing to do with it. More competency would mean less grift. That's not what they want, obviously. Keeping things running smoothly would mean the stock buybacks come after the maintenance. We both know who made the decision to do it the other way around, and it ain't DOT Secretary.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
No new departures until the problem is fixed. The FAA has decided not to shoot down the ones already in the air for now.

The host on the Today Show this morning asked the reporter if the planes in the air will be allowed to land. "No Savannah, we have a Die Hard 2 situation on our hands".

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

It certainly could be system failure, but keep in mind that threat actors are often found playing in things that are weird just to test capabilities. Many legacy systems lack any ability at all to do basic authentication and authorization, yet they are still sitting on the regular network. If they come out with some nondescript "system issues", I'm still going with hacked. If they come up with a plausible story with sensible explanation, maybe I'll lean toward basic incompetence. The number of outdated systems hanging on by duct tape and bailing wire is immeasurable. Our public sector compute infrastructure is about as bad as our bridges and a lot of knowledge is walking out the door with Boomer retirements.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I don't know much about them, but airports and airplanes seem to be a weird mix of state of the art tech and old tech. I'm not sure if that's because so many airplanes are out there and they don't want to force equipment updates or because the old tech is viewed as more robust b/c it's simple or just a lack of investment. I went on a tour in an air traffic control room (I guess that's what you call it? it was not in the tower) and it was dark and the screens looked like something from the 1980's. And people were doing **** with rulers/straight edges and there was lots of what sounded like whispering going on into headsets and it seems like that couldn't be the system that consistently kept planes from running into each other at busy airports.
As long as I'm flying around in planes with their old ashtray locations covered up, I'm going with mostly antiquated. I might, however, be more leery about fly by wire newer stuff...

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login