You are now the newly hired DC - what's the immediate change you make schematically?**

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Clone Isaac Smith 10 times.

Seriously, I would run a lot more linebacker blitzes. Our linebackers are not good staying back and getting off blocks. I would have them attacking the LOS.

Reactions: Pookieray

Leodawg1990

Oct 4, 2023
I would figure out a way to make this a 425 system. I would do my best to recruit about 50 players on the defensive side of the ball.

There’s really not much to do at this point other than do our best to stop the run and then if they pass it, they pass it, but still, we have to slow them down enough to be for us to have more tempo offensively.

jokingly, I might consult Woody McCorvey because he might be able to be better on defense since his offenses were putrid

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Tell the "Jack" position guys that they are now DE.

Find some way to recruit DL for next year.

Blitz every play. If they score, they score fast.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I don't think there is a whole lot that can be done scheme wise. We have got to have better defensive linemen and linebackers.

Reactions: Papapat.sixpack

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Tell purvis you a good LB but we need you on the Edge and go with four-man front.

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
First thing I'm doing is getting all my freshman plenty of playing time. If my senior DL or LB spent all night getting trucked by ScatNpoo I need to let him sit and get experience for the guy I hope to have next year. Plus I can tell these 4 star players that if they come here they can play as freshmen. This time needs to be playing with the mindset of getting ready for next year. On both sides of the ball

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
A diagram showing the location of the weight room.

(getting whipped like that at the line,... 8 man front, till, they gash you, otherwise)
That was embarrassing.

mcfly.sixpack

Mar 21, 2009
Walk the strong side OLB up wide on the LOS and have him set the edge and stunt the three down linemen every down. Try to get your linebackers to play downhill first instead of reacting like we’re doing. You’ll get caught in a big play but you’ll at least create some negative plays. I’d also have Isaac smith lined up over the weak side guard 12-14 yards off the ball.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Secure some NIL money somehow to buy some talent.
It's truly amazing MSU has such a weak DL considering our history and recent success at that position.
I blame coaches not recruiting (and keeping) talent.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Might be a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation - but we gotta make teams beat us through the air. I don't have much faith in our secondary either, but you just can't let teams run down your throat. It's more demoralizing and keeps an already bad defense on the field longer. Stack the box to stop (or slow) the run, and just hope you can get some pressure and force a mistake.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Perhaps if we hadn't allowed 8 defensive players to hit the portal, 5 of them defensive linemen. I don't know, just a thought.

They all transferred to USM and USA, so that tells me he ran them off. But they were all 1st and 2nd year players.

It also tells me that Lebby, similarly to most of our fans, don't understand the types of players MSU has routinely signed and developed into defensive beasts.

And of course, we didn't really replace any of the DL-men.

Reactions: patdog

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
I would keep everything in front and make the offense sustain 10-12 play mistake free drives and hope for a Fumble or interception.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Have all DL and LB stand up on the line every play and blitz a heck of a lot. I’m stopping the run come he’ll or high water. We can’t outscore teams in high scoring games if our offense isn’t given opportunities.

Reactions: Howiefeltersnstch

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I would figure out a way to make this a 425 system. I would do my best to recruit about 50 players on the defensive side of the ball.

There’s really not much to do at this point other than do our best to stop the run and then if they pass it, they pass it, but still, we have to slow them down enough to be for us to have more tempo offensively.

jokingly, I might consult Woody McCorvey because he might be able to be better on defense since his offenses were putrid
Honestly it’s not a bad strategy, all things considered. Force a shootout. Wether the opponent scores a passing TD or punts, we need our offense back on the field as quickly as possible.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
If a team is gashing me on the ground and CANNOT PASS IT AT ALL, I'm going to put at least one more defender in the box than they have blockers.

That should be common sense, but we routinely had equal numbers or one less in the box against a team that CANNOT PASS IT AT ALL.

I cannot stress enough that AZ St could not pass it... at all.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login