you can take the kid out of the hood -

RuffandTumble

Oct 21, 2007
but you can't take the hood out of the kid .... not even you, croom.

damnit.

this is a huge, huge loss.

brown was going to the nfl, not he's going to prison. that's a good job - rrrreal nice

how hard is it to not get a gun?

RuffandTumble

Oct 21, 2007
but you can't take the hood out of the kid .... not even you, croom.

damnit.

this is a huge, huge loss.

brown was going to the nfl, not he's going to prison. that's a good job - rrrreal nice

how hard is it to not get a gun?

olemissbydamn

May 24, 2006
"the hood".

The mentality is that if someone "disses you" you have the right to retaliate.

I think that is the reason you see stupid responses like mrob71's ....Were they fired on first? Were they set up? Did someone attack a teammate and they came to rescue?

Who cares who fired first? Who cares if a teamate was attacked? Who cares about a setup?

We know that what ever happened, they weren't gravely harmed. Therefore, there was no need for a gun to become involved.

Unfortunately, the problem is no longer restricted to the hood.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
"Therefore, there was no need for a gun to become involved. "

And more to the point, why did they even have a gun in the first place?

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
But that's just because Sherrill told the cops not to arrest the players and Croom didn't.

</sarcasm>

itawambadog

Oct 26, 2007
you would think moving out of the hood and going to college would be a great time to start on a clean slate, guess not though.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
the wind effing blows hard and you get 10 maroon alerts. gun shots fired on campus...nothing. amazing

Ivehadbetter

Oct 18, 2007
And more to the point, why did they even have a gun in the first place?
I had a gun in my truck everyday at State and I know lots of my friends had them in thier vehicles as well. I never carried it out of my truck, but it stayed locked and loaded in my console and does to this day.

I don't know if the players had the gun on their person or in the car. There is no excuse if they had it outside of the car.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
So many today think they have to retaliate to a slight with violence. A gun is not a toy. It was created to kill. When you point and fire at a person you are intending bodily harm if not death. No matter what they say to you, shooting them or even at them is not justified. People every day get shot or stabbed and killed over stupid things. A couple of years ago in Ridgeland a couple pulled an inpromptu driveby on somebody because they whipped in front of them at the drive thru. Why? That's beyond stupid. My mom works at a community hospital in MS and she says they have people come into the emergency room regularly having been stabbed over such things as a dollar or an insult. What happened to turning the other cheek? What happened to common sense and decency?

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
I think it's less you have the right to retaliate and more that you have to retaliate. The mentality is that if someone disrespects you, you have to do something to show them up or you lose your reputation. Not sure if that was the attitude in this case, but that's the attitude that comes out too much.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
I don't mean to flame, but I can't think of a single reason why you needed a loaded gun in your car on MSU's campus other than you think it's badass.</p>

olemissbydamn

May 24, 2006
VegasDawg13 said:
I don't mean to flame, but I can't think of a single reason why you needed a loaded gun in your car on MSU's campus other than you think it's badass.</p>

To protect yourself from the Bud car and the football team.

<sarcasm></p>

OEMDawg

Mar 22, 2008
Then you are just as stupid as these players. Guns are prohibited on campus. If you get caught you are gone immediately. You have a right to bear arms, but NOT on a school campus in the state of MS.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
because they just lost their free ride to an education and one of them might have lost out on his chance at an NFL career. But at least they answered back for getting disrespected.

This is a problem in the AA community today. Anytime an AA tries to better himself, he is told by the community at large that he needs to do something to prove he hasn't sold out. He needs to maintain his street cred. He needs to keep it real. Some folks refer to this as crabs in a bucket. Even a US Senator and current presidential candidate had to prove he was really black by going to a prominant AA church in the Chicago area, which has now opened him up to major criticism from many Americans.

/end semi-political rant

Ivehadbetter

Oct 18, 2007
I can count on one hand how many people knew about it. I lived off campus and commuted, I kept a pistol in my truck at all times. No it isn't legal on campus, but I had friends get caught with guns; they got them back without a big stink.

3 and 9 record

I carry a gun in my car. I want to be ready because somebody might "disrespect" me. If they "disrespect" me, I am going to buss a cap in their ***. You can't be going around "disrespecting" people.

OMlawdog

Feb 27, 2008
I was told that was one of the hardest things coaches had to overcome when dealing with inner city kids. Other kids just seem them as a target either to leach off of, or to make an example of to gain respect.

At the end of the day, if you are worried about your street cred, you more than likely are going to end up on the street.

Too many of these kids want to be the next Marlo, and would rather be Marlo then a cop. If you haven't watched the Wire, just ignore this past sentence.

Aug 30, 2006
and ignorance on the subject, do you not have to have a concealed carry license to carry a loaded pistol in your car in MS? I know here in Texas, you have to have a concealed carry license to have a loaded handgun in your car or on your person. To my knowledge, rifles & shotguns are not illegal to carry provided they are in a case, unloaded, and out of reach (i.e. going hunting) & I believe the same is true for handguns. However, I believe it is illegal to even have an unloaded handgun in your car within easy reach of the driver if you do not have a concealed carry permit.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
I just don't understand why a college student in Starkville needs a hand gun. If you need it where you're from, leave it there so you have it when you go home. It is unnecessary in Starkville.

OEMDawg

Mar 22, 2008
so you say. Apparently you thought you were above the law as well since you admitted that you didnt care to adhere to it.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
when i get pulled over i throw the pistol on the dash or in the passenger's seat and tell the cop "my gun is over there". if it is concealed...then you technically need a permit. it is an ***-backwards law with a ton of loopholes but that is MS for you.

Ivehadbetter

Oct 18, 2007
Any one, not a felon, over the age of 18 can possess a legal firearm, concealed in whole or in part, in a vehicle. Once you step out of the vehicle with it, you must have a Concealed carry permit.</p>

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
<div class="scrolling"> <div>
<div> I just don't understand why a college student in Starkville needs a hand gun. If you need it where you're from, leave it there so you have it when you go home. It is unnecessary in Starkville. </div>
</div> </div>

Ivehadbetter

Oct 18, 2007
(2) It shall not be a violation of this section for any person over the age of eighteen (18) years to carry a firearm or deadly <a name="LPHit4"></a><span id="lphits4" style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: #ffcc00">weapon</span> <a name="LPHit5"></a><span id="lphits5" style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: #ffcc00">concealed</span> in whole or in part within the confines of his own home or his place of business, or any real property associated with his home or business or within any motor vehicle.

MSUCE99

Nov 15, 2005
I've gotten numerous MAROON ALERT!!!!!!11!1!!!1! emails about a freaking windy day or possible winter weather, but nothing - NOTHING in my email about a shooting on campus at a residence hall?!?!?

I guess Doc has quit working already? This communications breakdown is/was SERIOUS. Exactly the occasion you'd think the alert system was put in place for... Nada. Zilch. Nothing.

edit: From the Reflector article:

"University police detectives continue to interview witnesses, and additional criminal charges are being considered," Dean of Students Mike White said. "<span style="font-weight: bold;">Officers determined there was no threat to other students and moved quickly to secure the area and recover the weapons."</span>

The handguns were <span style="font-weight: bold;">subsequently recovered</span> by university police officers that evening.
Uhhh... the police determined that there was no threat to other students prior to recovering the weapons? I'm calling BS on that... as long as there is an unrecovered handgun on campus that was involved in a shooting, I would like to be alerted to what's going on, if you don't mind. I am allergic to gunshot wounds and would like to be able to take appropriate preventative measures, please.

Aug 30, 2006
the Texas law isn't as clear as I thought. Per the current definition, you can carry a concealed handgun in your car legally. Per Texas state law, you are considered to be "traveling" which exempts you from having to have a concealed carry permit while in your vehicle. As long as you are a law-abiding citizen (no outstanding warrants), are not involved at the time of stop in any type of criminal behavior except for Class C misdemeanors (routine traffic violations), the gun is concealed, & in a privately owned vehicle, you can have a concealed handgun.

Turns out that the TX law is just as weird & convuluted as MS law.

Ivehadbetter

Oct 18, 2007
you still are prohibited from carrying in these places set out by 45-9-101:

<p align="justify"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">(13) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver into any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1, Mississippi Code of 1972; any police, sheriff or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his courtroom; any polling place; any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any public park unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages; any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any junior college, community college, college or university facility unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; inside the passenger terminal of any airport, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal if the firearm is encased for shipment, for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; any church or other place of worship; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. In addition to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited." No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize the participants in a parade or demonstration for which a permit is required to carry a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver. </font></p>

bulldogbaja

Dec 18, 2007
Doesn't it make a difference, too, if it's loaded? I have a gun, but it's in the console and the clip is in the glove box- I think the gun and the bullets have to be in "seperate sections" of the car, like the glove box. Or maybe that's just for spotlighting.

Optimus Prime 4

May 1, 2006
or you get arrested. If it's not locked it's concealed, but if it's locked it's considered out of reach.

I don't think you can carry a gun on any public school campus in the country, period. In fact, you are supposed to stay 200 feet away if you have one.

Ivehadbetter

Oct 18, 2007
This is from 97-37-17:

</p> <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td> <p align="justify"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">(6) It shall not be a violation of this section for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or <a name="LPHit6"></a><span id="lphits6" style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: #ffcc00">concealed</span>, any gun, rifle, pistol or other firearm of any kind on educational property if: </font></p> </td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3"></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3" height="1"></td> </tr> </tbody> </table> <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td rowspan="5"></td> <td colspan="3" height="12"></td> <td rowspan="5"></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3"></td> </tr> <tr> <td></td> <td> <p align="justify"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">(a) The person is not a student attending school on any educational property; </font></p> </td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3"></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3" height="1"></td> </tr> </tbody> </table> <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td rowspan="5"></td> <td colspan="3" height="12"></td> <td rowspan="5"></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3"></td> </tr> <tr> <td></td> <td> <p align="justify"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">(b) The firearm is within a motor vehicle; and </font></p> </td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3"></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3" height="1"></td> </tr> </tbody> </table> <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td rowspan="5"></td> <td colspan="3" height="12"></td> <td rowspan="5"></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3"></td> </tr> <tr> <td></td> <td> <p align="justify"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">(c) The person does not brandish, exhibit or display the firearm in any careless, angry or threatening manner. </font></p> </td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

MSUCE99

Nov 15, 2005
and, after getting through with the Faulkner-like grammatical construction, wondering to myself, "Where the heck ARE you allowed to carry a gun if you have this permit?" I think they intentionally try to put people to sleep reading that.

I ultimately decided it would be wiser for me to forgo the CC license and just plead ignorance and beg forgiveness if I ever got in trouble for having a gun where I wasn't supposed to. Because, honestly, I can't make heads or tails of MS firearms laws.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login