You definitely don’t extend Lemonis.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Hold him to the one year contract and pray he gets mad and leaves.
This. It’s a long shot (where would he go?). But it’s a chance worth taking. If we wait till next year we could well be in the same market as Mississippi looking for a coach. And they will outbid us.

Reactions: STATEgrad04

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
So you guys realize the roster payroll we will need to come up with right? Great players can make any coach look good, just look up in Knoxville. What do you think their total spend is? I'll hang up and listen

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
Thinking back on all the threads about this season’s expectations, this was the worst case scenario for the program. Lemonis did just enough to keep his job. Yay.

I can’t even imagine a realistic scenario that would get the fanbase excited for next year. Suppose we get a good hitting coach. Is that really going to move the needle in the portal? We’ve got so much ground to make up. I just don’t see it. There sure isn’t any evidence that the current staff can put together a really strong portal class.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
NIL isn’t the issue for baseball. Our baseball NIL is probably top 7-8 in NCAA. Probably 2 times what UVA’s Baseball NIL is. We have missed on evaluating HS players since Lemonis has been here. UVA’s best players are Freshman, we don’t have a SEC quality Freshman on our team. Evaluation, Development, Strength and Conditioning, Approach at the Plate and Hitting is just awful.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
NIL isn’t the issue for baseball. Our baseball NIL is probably top 7-8 in NCAA. Probably 2 times what UVA’s Baseball NIL is. We have missed on evaluating HS players since Lemonis has been here. UVA’s best players are Freshman, we don’t have a SEC quality Freshman on our team. Evaluation, Development, Strength and Conditioning, Approach at the Plate and Hitting is just awful.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
This. Our problem is not a NIL problem. We have a bunch of baseball obsessed boosters, more than most schools.

The issue is Lemonis.

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
Doing "just enough" is the identity of this program. The coach wants to do just enough to keep his job. The players wanna do just enough on the diamond to not be embarrassed. Typical middle of the road B10 ********. Oh we won the first 2 that's enough. Let's not show up for game 3. We made it to post season. Let's win a couple snd then not show up

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

civildawg88

Aug 22, 2012
Most of the teams advancing to supers aren't NIL heavy in baseball. Heck UGA hired Wes Johnson and basically said we aren't going to contribute much to baseball and he takes them to a super in his first year. What's our excuse?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Most of the teams advancing to supers aren't NIL heavy in baseball. Heck UGA hired Wes Johnson and basically said we aren't going to contribute much to baseball and he takes them to a super in his first year. What's our excuse?
You can win despite the nil. No one is saying that. It’s baseball. Nothing is guaranteed.

bad teams get hot, good deals go cold. Happens

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I worry if they do fire him who does Selmon hire? I am not to a point I trust him to hire a baseball coach. I don't know if he fully understands how important baseball is to Miss State fans. I don't want no OU buddy because he's a buddy. I want the best coach to be had.

Reactions: patdog

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I worry if they do fire him who does Selmon hire? I am not to a point I trust him to hire a baseball coach. I don't know if he fully understands how important baseball is to Miss State fans. I don't want no OU buddy because he's a buddy. I want the best coach to be had.
We had the most baseball-obsessed AD in the history of modern day athletics and he hired… Andy Cannizzaro & Chris Lemonis. Ironically, the combo of Cannizzaro’s recruiting and Lemo catching lightening in a bottle produced 2021. But, just because Selmon is more of a “football outsider” I wouldn’t be worried about his handling of the baseball program. If anything, we need an AD with a fresh perspective on priorities.

Cohen completely mangled the athletic department and left us in disarray. Selmon has done good job of picking up the pieces the last 18 months and aligning us for the future of college athletics that has changed significantly the last 5 years.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Our nil isn’t as good as we think it is. We aren’t top 3 sec wise in NiL
Be more specific. Nothing more annoying than when doomers login to say “we aren’t as good as you think!” And then provide some vague answer

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Be more specific. Nothing more annoying than when doomers login to say “we aren’t as good as you think!” And then provide some vague answer
I don’t know exact number but lsu, Texas am, Florida, Tennessee all have higher payrolls than we do in nil baseball wise and heard it’s by a wide margin.

Ihope it’s not true that even schools like South Carolina, Georgianand ole miss are nipping at our heels in that regard too.

so we are for sure 5th in the league and may be closer to 8th than 4th.

I have no clue around the country. Or what Texas or Oklahoma bring. My guess would be Texas likely has a nice one

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
It's true. It's as poor as I can remember.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I don’t know exact number but lsu, Texas am, Florida, Tennessee all have higher payrolls than we do in nil baseball wise and heard it’s by a wide margin.

Ihope it’s not true that even schools like South Carolina, Georgianand ole miss are nipping at our heels in that regard too.

so we are for sure 5th in the league and may be closer to 8th than 4th.

I have no clue around the country. Or what Texas or Oklahoma bring. My guess would be Texas likely has a nice one
Sounds like we’re right where we should be.

Top 5 in the SEC, top 8 or so in the country means you should compete for national championships. Our issue is not spending, it’s coaching/recruiting.

Spending the same amount of money in baseball as A&M, LSU, Florida would probably have a negative impact on investing the necessary amount in football and MBB, which are more important to the university and athletic department. A huge season in football is the tide that lifts all boats, it just matters more. Has a much larger economic impact than a run to Omaha.

I’m not saying we can’t /shouldn’t spend more money on a player that’s warranted. I’m sure there will be ups and downs annually on how we spend money with baseball. But if we are on average 4th/5th or so in the SEC in baseball NIL that’s damn good. It’s enough for us to be consistently in Omaha with the right coach.

Lemonis has not done a good job of identifying and recruiting high school/transfer portal talent. Not to the standard we need. The money and support is there. The execution is not.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Sounds like we’re right where we should be.

Top 5 in the SEC, top 8 or so in the country means you should compete for national championships. Our issue is not spending, it’s coaching/recruiting.

Spending the same amount of money in baseball as A&M, LSU, Florida would probably have a negative impact on investing the necessary amount in football and MBB, which are more important to the university and athletic department. A huge season in football is the tide that lifts all boats, it just matters more. Has a much larger economic impact than a run to Omaha.

I’m not saying we can’t /shouldn’t spend more money on a player that’s warranted. I’m sure there will be ups and downs annually on how we spend money with baseball. But if we are on average 4th/5th or so in the SEC in baseball NIL that’s damn good. It’s enough for us to be consistently in Omaha with the right coach.

Lemonis has not done a good job of identifying and recruiting high school/transfer portal talent. Not to the standard we need. The money and support is there. The execution is not.
My mistake. Arkansas also has a higher payroll. But yes I get the gist. Problem is those teams are constantly outbidding us for that good talent

We Men

Oct 24, 2018
Looking for something to uplift my spirits, Ttowndawg gets Todays Chuckle for saying we should outlaw bucket seats. LOL!

Reactions: leeinator

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
My mistake. Arkansas also has a higher payroll. But yes I get the gist. Problem is those teams are constantly outbidding us for that good talent
Programs like LSU will outbid us from time to time, like Skenes. The bigger concern with Lemo & our program currently is high school recruiting. No excuses to not be top-notch in that category.

Reactions: patdog

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
...but....but....we're trending upwards*******************************

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
Lem's probably burning up the phone to Birmingham Southern players; they're entire roster is available, and probably at a bargain basement price.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login