You have GOT to love revisionist history

patdog

May 28, 2007
To be fair, it looks like their strategy is to go all in on the transfer portal and be very selective with the high school kids they sign. They didn't sign many players, but they signed three more 4* players than we did. Time will tell if it's a good strategy or a bad one.

Reactions: Joe Schmedlap

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Kiffin is either a genius or an idiot…

Bold strategy to put all the eggs in the portal. Seems like once you start down that path that there is no turning back because you won’t have developed depth from kids that have been in the system for 2-3 years and you’ll have to reload every year. He basically is the only coach in the nation with this strategy and certainly the only coach in the SEC…

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
To be fair, it looks like their strategy is to go all in on the transfer portal and be very selective with the high school kids they sign. They didn't sign many players, but they signed three more 4* players than we did. Time will tell if it's a good strategy or a bad one.
The strategy is not sustainable. He even said in his press conference they have to get a number of players to transfer in this year to have backup/depth roles. Who is going to want to do that?

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014

Bold strategy to put all the eggs in the portal. Seems like once you start down that path that there is no turning back because you won’t have developed depth from kids that have been in the system for 2-3 years and you’ll have to reload every year. He basically is the only coach in the nation with this strategy and certainly the only coach in the SEC…
He's obviously trying to catch lightning in a bottle and parlay it into his next gig. It ALMOST worked this season, until they had to play actual teams with a pulse.

It's going to be much more difficult for him next year with the upgraded schedule. Don't know what their prospects are for next year, but Tulane is in a NY6 and Georgia Tech vastly improved after they fired ol Geoff. Slip up against either of those and Mississippi is staring down a possible 2-3 or 2-4 start to next season.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

Kiffin is literally working on a time horizon that is, at most, two years. His shelf life ANYWHERE he has ever been is 3-4 years before he wears out his welcome. His strategy, therefore, is to survive for two more years before he bolts for his next gig.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

That was the ole miss way for a while. They rarely developed their own coral was the first I can remember for a while. They have been transfer U for a while. Especially for Qb. Judkins is a good back that they brought in as a freshmen. But they have always had a bunch of transfers

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Kiffin is literally working on a time horizon that is, at most, two years. His shelf life ANYWHERE he has ever been is 3-4 years before he wears out his welcome. His strategy, therefore, is to survive for two more years before he bolts for his next gig.
are you suggesting that his kids don't love Oxford?***

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Kiffin might actually be lazy. 46th ranked class you know the natives are restless in Oxford especially after the Egg Bowl loss and now they lose to us in recruiting. Three to eight out of portal to fill in empty spots is ok but to make it half your recruiting class is playing with fire.

Sep 15, 2009
Kiffin might actually be lazy. 46th ranked class you know the natives are restless in Oxford especially after the Egg Bowl loss and now they lose to us in recruiting. Three to eight out of portal to fill in empty spots is ok but to make it half your recruiting class is playing with fire.
Where are you seeing that? 24/7 has them at 37 (we are at 24). Not that it changes your point, but I was genuinely curious.

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017

Doesn't matter if you don't plan on being there long enough to develop anything..

The Usual Suspect

Sep 1, 2011
I dislike them as much as anyone, but comparing our class to theirs is not apples to apples. They have a different strategy and will hit the portal heavier than us. After all the transfers, then you can compare.

Reactions: patdog

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I dislike them as much as anyone, but comparing our class to theirs is not apples to apples. They have a different strategy and will hit the portal heavier than us. After all the transfers, then you can compare.
They are still 46th today. Transfer portal be damn. When it happens, it happens but they are not going to pass us. You don't get a lot of points in rankings for transfers. Also this is going to end up biting their asses. The NCAA will change the portal rules and they will not have a good foundation when it does.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Going all in on the portal can be a good short-term strategy, but I don’t think it is a good long-term strategy. This makes sense because Kiffin seems more interested in short-term success leading to a better job.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

PirateBay

Jan 9, 2020
Well, he isn’t a genius. The portal is expensive, this might be a good strategy if they had the NIL to make it work.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Where are you seeing that? 24/7 has them at 37 (we are at 24). Not that it changes your point, but I was genuinely curious.
Sec network had them right behind us at 25…not sure why/ how.

seems to me, if you get it badly wrong once or twice with this strategy, it’s a tough climb from there. Don’t think Kiffen cares.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016

I keep saying that he’s fleecing Ole Mis and I don’t think it is necessarily working for them either. They regressed despite having a really nice RB.

Last edited:

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
So what happens when they want need to sign a big transfer class and it doesn’t work? The good players go elsewhere and they are stuck with high school leftovers or transfer leftovers? Would be a shame.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
I think it’s much more likely to cause a **** show dumpster fire than it is to prove to be a smart way of doing things. Is there another school out there doing doing it like this?

They are always going to overplay their hand when it comes to recruiting and seem hell bent on learning things the hard way. I hope they never change.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
So why did tsun only sign 11 or so? Limited schollies to offer or planning on going all out in The Portal? Their Star Average is very high though, higher than ours. They are lower than us due to numbers.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
So why did tsun only sign 11 or so? Limited schollies to offer or planning on going all out in The Portal? Their Star Average is very high though, higher than ours. They are lower than us due to numbers.
I don't know but you have to sign more than 11 high school to build a foundation. I don't think Kiffin is planning on staying. He is going to load up with portal guys and hope they gel. Thier schedule does not set up like it did this year. They get Bama, LSU, Tech and Tulane early. Tulane may not be as good I don't know but Ga Tech will be improved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Tomas Smid

May 4, 2010
Kiffin isn’t called the portal king for nothing. It appears he was waiting until after NSD to make his move.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007

I have a comparison I like to make, and it happened on their home field in late November.

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
How about we make a 2023 new year’s resolution for this site, as follows:
No one can talk about the University of Mississippi football recruiting.
Probably 90% on this site don’t give 2 craps about the confederates “Star Wars”recruiting. Merry Christmas.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

He’s not really putting all of his eggs in the portal. Just putting a lot of them.

they signed a quality class just a small one.

we’ll see how it pans out

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
It kind of reminds me when Jackie Sherrill went all in on signing JUCO players. That worked for a couple years but then we hit a couple year period where the JUCO’s didn’t pan out and it was a disaster. Kiffin may find himself in that situation if he misses on transfer portal players for a year or two.

Reactions: BA Dog and patdog

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
It kind of reminds me when Jackie Sherrill went all in on signing JUCO players. That worked for a couple years but then we hit a couple year period where the JUCO’s didn’t pan out and it was a disaster. Kiffin may find himself in that situation if he misses on transfer portal players for a year or two.
Nightmare flashbacks to those Arizona JUCO's he recruited. I can't remember their names, but they all were a bust.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Only taking 10-14 quality h
HS and hit the portal can work. It is less risky than taking ten JuCos because they will have P5 experience.
Problem, if you want proven guys out of portal, it can be expensive and you have to get new ones almost every year which makes continuity hard to maintain.

I like our strategy better. Get the best HS players u can and fill needs with portal.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
He's obviously trying to catch lightning in a bottle and parlay it into his next gig. It ALMOST worked this season, until they had to play actual teams with a pulse.

It's going to be much more difficult for him next year with the upgraded schedule. Don't know what their prospects are for next year, but Tulane is in a NY6 and Georgia Tech vastly improved after they fired ol Geoff. Slip up against either of those and Mississippi is staring down a possible 2-3 or 2-4 start to next season.
Special Victims Unit Reaction GIF by Law & Order

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login