You just cant make this stuff up

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
This was pulled off of the spirit. These people are something else. This guy is saying that with one more win OM will have had a more successful basketball season than we did.

<div class="messagebody"> "To have an unbiased computer system rank us ahead of you guys based on the entire season's accomplishments would be sweet. You had your slump at the start of the season; we had ours in the middle. The computer doesn't care! It looks at the entire season and spits out the results. One more win and it would show that we had a more productive overall season than you. It shouldn't be that hard to swallow. We did split the season with you guys. Let's let the Sagarin ratings be the rubber game of the series."

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=177&f=1103#s=177&f=1103&t=2268067 </div>

oem

Feb 23, 2008
hatfieldms said:
This was pulled off of the spirit. These people are something else. This guy is saying that with one more win OM will have had a more successful basketball season than we did.

<div class="messagebody"> "To have an unbiased computer system rank us ahead of you guys based on the entire season's accomplishments would be sweet. You had your slump at the start of the season; we had ours in the middle. The computer doesn't care! It looks at the entire season and spits out the results. One more win and it would show that we had a more productive overall season than you. It shouldn't be that hard to swallow. We did split the season with you guys. Let's let the Sagarin ratings be the rubber game of the series."

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=177&f=1103#s=177&f=1103&t=2268067
</div>

Why do you care? And even better, why should I? </p>

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Oh I dont care, but I do find it amusing. And you cared enough to open the thread, read it and respond

oem

Feb 23, 2008
hatfieldms said:
Oh I dont care, but I do find it amusing. And you cared enough to open the thread, read it and respond

</p>Prayers sent.

jackobee

Mar 10, 2008
It seems to me that the winner of the NIT would then become the 66th best team in the country? Weren't there 65 teams named to the premier tournament -- the NCAA?

Jackdragbean

May 23, 2006
Why not? The NIT is the consolation prize to the real tournament. Although I was really happy that we made the NIT "final four" last year, it didn't make me believe that we were better than everyone that made the NCAA tournament. We would have most likely been one and done as Ole Miss would have been. It makes you feel good but it's got "special olympics comparison" written all over it. It helps the players get used to a pressure situation for the next year, practice, etc. etc. Be happy, just don't over do it.

RebelRichman.nafoom

Mar 3, 2008
While I appreciate you informing me that the ncaa tournament is better than the nit, i'm not boasting anything at all. I'm just pointing out the sheer idiocy of the "66th best team" ********. Let's look...

Florida
Ohio St.
Virginia Tech
Syracuse
Ole Miss
Arizona St
Mississippi Valley State

So you're telling me that Mississippi Valley State is the best team in this group? Horseshit. Pure and simple. If we're giving automatic bids to all these piddly *** little conference tournament winners then we need to add a game to the tournament to get the best 64 teams in the country involved.

Optimus Prime 4

May 1, 2006
only what, 34 teams are at large bids? the last at large bid is what, a tenth seed or so?

It is fun to say the 66th best team though.

The Lord Humongous

Mar 1, 2008
...a team is somewhere in the range of the 45th to 52nd best team in the country. Just start in the range of the 12 seeds of the NCAAs for comparisons.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
The last at-large bid was Villanova, a 12 seed. A more accurate title for the NIT champion would be the 41st best team in the country. 34 at-large bids + the automatic bids that would have been at-large teams.

The NIT is a nice tourney if you have a young team that's looking to get post season experience.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
Now that's more accurate. Winning the NIT at least means you were in the Top 50. Still, it's the NIT.

And I warned you guys a week or so back that we'd have some idiots on the Spirit try to justify why our NIT was better than MSU's NCAA if we advanced deep in the tourney and if MSU lost fairly early.

I never thought I'd see someone bring in the Sagarin rankings though. That's a new one.

May 24, 2006
Cause everyone knows going undefeated in non-conf play, finishing 3rd in the West and going to the NIT Final 4 is much better than winning the SEC West and losing to a 1 Seed in the 2nd round of the real tournament.

G

Goat Holder

trying to convince themselves that our NIT run was better than losing in the 1st round of NCAAs too, basically like Arkansas. That stupid line of thinking is not confined to Spirit posters.

I honestly don't see how grown men could be that out of touch.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
Losing in the first round of the NCAAs > winning the NIT, much less making the NIT Final Four. It's a nice consolation prize, but that's about it. Getting an NCAA bid should be a goal of every team in Division I, therefore even winning the NIT is falling short of that goal. Still, there is some value in getting to the NIT Final Four. For one thing, it gives you a little extra practice time and a little more experience if you have a young team. For another, once you are in the NIT you should want to win it. Ole Miss fans should want their team to win the whole thing and be proud of that if they do. That being said, they should also recognize that their team fell short of the NCAA, just as our fans should have last year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login