You just cut a lead to 1 in a game you really need to

wpnetdawg

May 1, 2006
win, why do you extend Houston?

I have nothing against Houston, but is this really the best move to make in order to win the game?

benatmsu

May 28, 2007
Another question I have is: Is Goforth the best leadoff hitter we have? I know he's fast and all... but your leadoff hitter should be able to... you know... hit.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
It's time to go with Hogue in center and I would like to see Allen and Freeman in the lineup together with one being the DH.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
Why win the game? You have to get your pitchers innings in? <sarcasm>

And to answer those about Goforth- no he's not the best we have. Right now that is probably Hogue.

Our OF should be Rice/Flagg in RF, Hougue in CF, and Nappi in LF.

wpnetdawg

May 1, 2006
I can understand experimenting with the hitters, but we ought to know who our best pitchers are.

I don't mean to be an alarmist, but this might be the year where the wheels finally run off and we lose 30. I hope not, but three losses of this type this early in the years doesn't inspire much confidence in me.

wpnetdawg

May 1, 2006
I agree that a pitcher like Houston is too far up the food chain for my liking, but we went down in the second game without using Lalor.

rugbdawg

Oct 10, 2006
retire after last year's run. It just made so much sense. I'm not saying this year is the year but in order for a change, we have to have our brains beat out for season.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
Definately a catch-22.

We win Polk stays, we lose it sucks, but Polk goes.

But I'm not surprised that Polk stayed. He gets to have his ego stroked by his flock and he has nothing else better to do with his life besides smoke cigars and write letters to the NCAA.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
That's a good point- and I agree with you.

But what Polk is thinking is "I might need him tommorrow." Especially with Bowen, who's not going to get any CG's anytime soon and struggled worse than Crosswhite last week. But what is comes down to is Polk is afraid to take chances, and it costs us a few games a year. Because the thing is, we could come out and get 16 runs tommorrow and then Lalor shutting them down is nearly as valuable and putting Houston in that situation makes more sense.

Also, Polk doesn't believe in bringing in pitchers two days in a row. That's why we have two closers practically every year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login