You know how they say "you don't really know what you've got till its gone"?

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
After processing this loss for a few days, I realized that I am surely guilty of that when it comes to Mike Leach. I'm sure I'm not the only one. We had a leader who was not only unique, but one of the most beloved figures in the College Football Universe. I always knew that, but the stories I've heard from around College Football after his passing really bring that home. I will never get these three years of fandom back, and I honestly took them for granted. Sitting at home when ML came to speak in my town, leaving at halftime, not reading the many articles written about him, failing to read his book, not supporting my team to the fullest, not dragging my 6 kids to more games, failing to introduce my oldest son to the pirate, etc. I even stopped buying season tickets.

The only thing I can do now is pledge (in front of you all) to be a a better fan, and to be more thankful for the times I've spent around family and friends at MSU events. I wouldn't be the same person I am today without my connection to MSU and I'll always have tremendous admiration for Mike Leach and what he stood for. I WILL do better.

I love you all,
GOJ

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
First, I would say to not be so hard on yourself we all make mistakes. Second, I would say that you have summed up how many fans are feeling in the last few days. We often do not realize how important or special something is until it is gone. It is very sad that it takes that change to make us realize what we had. There is no getting time back. There is only moving forward. We all should learn the lesson of if you have not told your family that you love them today then do it. If you have something you want to accomplish then do it. Tomorrow is never guaranteed. I have a seven month old daughter, and one of the things I told my wife just last night was that she will know who CML was and will get my pirate cowbell when she graces Starkville with her presence. That is all we can do at this point is to ensure that CL's legacy and name live on forever in the hearts and minds of the bulldogs to come.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
The only guilt I have is I didn't go see him at the extravaganza. I was at the games. I did not leave. I always had one of my kids with me. I did not bash him or his coaching. This past season my mother was in bad health and missed a few games, but I always got my tickets to someone who would be there. I supported him like I have done with all of the coaches over the years. Nothing negative until they were gone. The only thing I had problems with Leach was he would not get on the Ref's *** at times when he really needed too but that was his personality and I accepted it. I do wish some of you would have got your asses to the stadium and let him see what Davis Wade fully packed was liked. He coached hard the team always played hard and we as fans let them down and used the excuses it's on tv or it's hunting season.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login