You should have kept Freddie ......

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Alex. You worked wonders, but he still should be in Atlanta. I understand the business side, but he is one you just write the check for.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Bull crap. He will hit a wall in 3 or 4 years just like Poo Holes did. Braves can’t afford to be stuck with another bad contract after Ozuna.

Alex pulled some of the wrong strings by signing Rosario over Soler or Pederson and keeping Duvall but the Olson trade and signing was a good move.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Bull crap. He will hit a wall in 3 or 4 years just like Poo Holes did. Braves can’t afford to be stuck with another bad contract after Ozuna.

Alex pulled some of the wrong strings by signing Rosario over Soler or Pederson and keeping Duvall but the Olson trade and signing was a good move.

There was no trade for Olson. He was a free agent, same as Freddie. 1-2 years of a diminished Freddie , maybe, would have been good for the soul of the franchise. Freddie was that. He stayed through the bad years. As I said, I GET the business side. Freddie was just one of those guys.

Ellisville Dawg

Aug 29, 2018
Alex did what he had to do. Freddie’s agent is the reason he’s no longer in Atlanta. Alex moved on when it became apparent they weren’t going to work a deal. Olsen was a huge get considering the circumstances.

Freddie obviously regrets it.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Alex did what he had to do. Freddie’s agent is the reason he’s no longer in Atlanta. Alex moved on when it became apparent they weren’t going to work a deal. Olsen was a huge get considering the circumstances.

Freddie obviously regrets it.

I think you are right. But still, Alex could have talked to Freddie directly. Agents suck.

Raincity

Jul 20, 2019
Listen to the interview with Chipper after it went down. It was entirely his agents fault, but Freddie shared the blame as well. He ended up getting the same money with the Dodgers as the Braves last offer except LA’s deal is heavily deferred.

Olson was indeed a trade. Braves gave up Pache, Langliers, and someone else I don’t remember. Braves win in the long run on that

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
The “soul” of the franchise

Most sarcastic massive eye roll ever
/

Freddie meant a lot to Braves fans. He was the one great player they held on to when they sold all the others off. He was the foundation of the rebuild. If you watched tonight, you might get a sense of it. Now as to your eye roll.....claiming ANY franchise in any American sport has a SOUL is probably a bit much, I admit. I'm more in tune to English soccer CLUBS. There is a profound difference. Even there it's waining, sadly.

Last edited:

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
It's the same thing that is destroying college sports with the NIL and no limits transfer rules. There is no loyalty either way anymore. Y'all got what you wanted.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
AA would've loved to have FF. The problem was FF was dragging his feet wanting a 6th year. There were only 3 acceptable options at 1b: FF, Olson, and Rizzo, who was a huge drop. AA couldn't take a chance on the Yankees getting Olson first and then FF going to dodgers. AA did what he had to, and I'm fine with it even though I would've preferred FF on a 5 year deal.

Pache stinking and the rise of Contreras takes a good bit of the sting of acquiring Olson.

FF has been far superior this season, but I think the numbers are similar by the end of the year. Both had a 4.9 fWAR last season

ETA... FF's agent was dragging his feet waiting on a 6th year, apparently

Last edited:

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
AA probably gonna piss off more brave fans next year when dansby walks. I love Swanson, but I'm not sure I'd commit to what he'll most likely be asking for. Hopefully the fight is over turner, bogaerts, and Correa (opt out), and somehow Swanson falls back to us on a team friendly deal. I wouldn't pay him huge money for 5-6 years

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
There was no trade for Olson. He was a free agent, same as Freddie. 1-2 years of a diminished Freddie , maybe, would have been good for the soul of the franchise. Freddie was that. He stayed through the bad years. As I said, I GET the business side. Freddie was just one of those guys.

So we sent Pache and Langeliers to Oakland for free agent Matt Olsen? AA really got ripped off then.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
AA probably gonna piss off more brave fans next year when dansby walks. I love Swanson, but I'm not sure I'd commit to what he'll most likely be asking for. Hopefully the fight is over turner, bogaerts, and Correa (opt out), and somehow Swanson falls back to us on a team friendly deal. I wouldn't pay him huge money for 5-6 years

I like Dansby but I don’t think he’s a 175-200 million player. He’s had a great 6 week run to get his numbers up but he’s been a slow starter seemingly every year.

The Braves need a player or 2 that can hit for average and.cut down on the ks. If Olsen could get his average up in the 280s or better it would help. Doesn’t look like they are getting out of the Ozuna contract so they are stuck with his low average and tons of Ks. The lineup definitely needs a bit more balance.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
I like Dansby but I don’t think he’s a 175-200 million player. He’s had a great 6 week run to get his numbers up but he’s been a slow starter seemingly every year.

The Braves need a player or 2 that can hit for average and.cut down on the ks. If Olsen could get his average up in the 280s or better it would help. Doesn’t look like they are getting out of the Ozuna contract so they are stuck with his low average and tons of Ks. The lineup definitely needs a bit more balance.

I feel like ozuna will come around. His advanced stats are much better than his actual stats. Who knows though? Baseball gods may punish him for his domestic issues

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Dansby ain't Freddie.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
So now it's coming out that Freddie's agent never told him about the Brave's last offer, which he would have taken. Wow if true.

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Never said he was, but he's wildly popular in Atlanta. Don't kid yourself

Braves just need to try and lock him up, see if he will give a little hometown discount. They won’t compete for Correa, Bogaerts or Turner. Read today that Bryce is pushing pretty hard for the Phillies to eventually sign Turner so the Braves definitely don’t need to fall behind and end up with a C player at the position.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login