Your favorite MSU football coaches...

AtlantaDawg

Nov 27, 2017
1. Mike Leach - his team are a lot of fun to watch, they are competitive in every game (except Bama after a humiliating loss at A&M), and the dude is just funny as hell to listen to during an interview. Plus, he is our current head coach and worthy of our support.

2. Jackie Sherrill - that dude epitomized MSU football. He was a growly country boy that didn't take any crap, and hated everything about Ole Miss and Tommy Tubberville. His teams were feisty and could play toe to toe with anyone. Anyone that would castrate a bull on a football field in front of the team to get them motivated to kick Texas in the nut-sack is okay by me....

2. Greg Knox - 1.000 winning percentage - won the Taxslayer Bowl after Mullen bolted to his graveyard job.

3. Dan Mullen - he was good for the program and won us a lot of games and respect. He was just not a Mississippi guy and was eventually destined out of Starkville, MS. His wife was classy as well. Hate that he left the way he did, but I am glad that we have Leach now...

4. Bob Tyler - he had good teams at a time that I was attending state... His teams were blue-collar and fought hard. I remember him making us respectable, getting us to the Sun Bowl, beating Washington, etc.

5. Emory Bellard - LOL, his innovative offense was the wishbone, but he won his fair share of games. He was also a country boy that fit in at MSU. His win over Alabama was epic. I had just joined a high-tech firm and was attending training in Palo Alto. A buddy of mine invited me to the Stanford game and I watched John Elway play while we tracked the MSU / Bama score... When the announcer at Stanford stadium would give a score update, the crowd went nuts... Everyone hated 'Bama and was pulling for us.

Interesting list of MSU coaches through the years... you can click on any column and sort (for example, highest winning percentage to lowest)....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mississippi_State_Bulldogs_head_football_coaches

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
1. Mike Leach - his team are a lot of fun to watch, they are competitive in every game (except Bama after a humiliating loss at A&M), and the dude is just funny as hell to listen to during an interview. Plus, he is our current head coach and worthy of our support.

2. Jackie Sherrill - that dude epitomized MSU football. He was a growly country boy that didn't take any crap, and hated everything about Ole Miss and Tommy Tubberville. His teams were feisty and could play toe to toe with anyone. Anyone that would castrate a bull on a football field in front of the team to get them motivated to kick Texas in the nut-sack is okay by me....

2. Greg Knox - 1.000 winning percentage - won the Taxslayer Bowl after Mullen bolted to his graveyard job.

3. Dan Mullen - he was good for the program and won us a lot of games and respect. He was just not a Mississippi guy and was eventually destined out of Starkville, MS. His wife was classy as well. Hate that he left the way he did, but I am glad that we have Leach now...

4. Bob Tyler - he had good teams at a time that I was attending state... His teams were blue-collar and fought hard. I remember him making us respectable, getting us to the Sun Bowl, beating Washington, etc.

5. Emory Bellard - LOL, his innovative offense was the wishbone, but he won his fair share of games. He was also a country boy that fit in at MSU. His win over Alabama was epic. I had just joined a high-tech firm and was attending training in Palo Alto. A buddy of mine invited me to the Stanford game and I watched John Elway play while we tracked the MSU / Bama score... When the announcer at Stanford stadium would give a score update, the crowd went nuts... Everyone hated 'Bama and was pulling for us.

Interesting list of MSU coaches through the years... you can click on any column and sort (for example, highest winning percentage to lowest)....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mississippi_State_Bulldogs_head_football_coaches
King Jackie will be #1 in my book until somebody clearly takes that title away from him. I hate how it ended, but it was what it was, we could have corrected ourselves but Twinkletoes wanted to be the SEC's/Bama's woke ***** and hire Croom (he could have actually gotten a GOOD black coach like Charlie Strong). He played harder OOC schedules than Mullen, and also didn't get the benefit of the easy FCS team each year. Through 9 years, he was as good or better than Mullen. Mississippi State football was cool in the 90s. Even during the Mullen years, we did some goofy stuff. Not King Jackie.

Danny Shortz is #2. I hate him, he can never come back, but we had a good ride and gave us an NFL pedigree.

I remember all the "Make Emory a Memory" bumper stickers. He had a couple good years but just didn't recruit. Tyler was pretty good too.

If Mike Leach stays for 10 years, and achieves his potential, he could leave #1. But he's not there yet.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
1. Mike Leach for the same reasons you claim coupled with his ability to work with and keep assistants.
2. Jackie Sherrill for restoring our program to prominence. Before he came to State we just braced for another frustrating season. He brought us our only West title and today that means a Championship series invite.
3. Dan Mullen for returning our program to prominence. 2014 was a wild ride I'm ready to take again and its why I'm happy with Leach.
4. Bob Tyler because he was coaching when I attended State and we had winning records. I was sad to see him leave.

I've not ranked the guys before my time.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login