Youth Sports Business

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
This one's for you @OG Goat Holder .

I haven't watched it all the way through, yet. But, we've had many threads discussing this over the years.

ETA: This is turning out much better than I thought. It's not just about Ripken's business. Burnout, injuries, TJ Surgeries, College Scholarship limitations, specialization of sports for kids, parental pressure, the ridiculous cost, etc. A lot of counterpoints and differing opinions.

Last edited:

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
This guy?

Mascot Oriole GIF by Baltimore Orioles

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
This guy?

Mascot Oriole GIF by Baltimore Orioles
Nah, Cal Ripken, Jr. He was at the All Star Village in Arlington over the weekend. Eckie1 met him too. Super nice guy and took the time to talk to me and my kids before we all got a picture. I was wearing a Swinging Bully shirt and he named off a few former State players he knew. 12 year old me was over the moon and my kids were super impressed once they read up on who he was and the 2,632 game streak.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
I haven't watched it but after diving into travel soccer and volleyball and I can tell you in the end it sure aint for the betterment of the kids.
We went through it all with golf for one of our kids and it's worked out incredibly so far. I think the biggest issue is realizing what you're trying to get to and only pursuing it to that point, but as they get older that goal can change quickly.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We went through it all with golf for one of our kids and it's worked out incredibly so far. I think the biggest issue is realizing what you're trying to get to and only pursuing it to that point, but as they get older that goal can change quickly.
Individual sports can be fine, if they have the talent and ability to do whatever sport.

My beef is with the team sports. The best players are subsidized by the the rest.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login