YouTube TV

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
The picture quality is not as good as Directv. All y'all sold me on it. Now I get it for a trial run and the picture just isn't as good.
I guess for $100 a month in savings I can live with it.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
The picture quality is not as good as Directv. All y'all sold me on it. Now I get it for a trial run and the picture just isn't as good.
What type of device are you streaming it with (roku, appleTV, Firestick etc)
Is that device hardwired to the router or are you using wifi?
What type of download speeds do you get?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
What type of device are you streaming it with (roku, appleTV, Firestick etc)
Is that device hardwired to the router or are you using wifi?
What type of download speeds do you get?
I'm on 1gig fiber so it's running just below 1gig. It's Wi-Fi, I can't hardwire it where the router is located in the house. Samsung QLed with the Samsung hub.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

They have a 4K option you can pay a little extra for. I have never had an issue with the picture but I don’t have the biggest and baddest TV on the market, it’s a good Vizio smart TV but nothing too fancy. So I guess I don’t have anything else to compare to.

It’s best option you’re going to find right now if you want to stick with the streaming route. I actually just paused my subscription until football season to save a little money, but I’ll happily be going back to it when CFB and the NFL get cranked back up.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
YTTV quality has always been poor unless your TV is great at upconverting and then it’s still not better than any of the apps.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
They have a 4K option you can pay a little extra for. I have never had an issue with the picture but I don’t have the biggest and baddest TV on the market, it’s a good Vizio smart TV but nothing too fancy. So I guess I don’t have anything else to compare to.

It’s best option you’re going to find right now if you want to stick with the streaming route. I actually just paused my subscription until football season to save a little money, but I’ll happily be going back to it when CFB and the NFL get cranked back up.
Thanks for the reminder. I just paused mine again. I also saw the 4K option is $5 a month.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I never paid attention to the quality of picture. The fact that I had it at all was a bonus. I had other services that required 25mps but never one needing more. I loved Youtube TV because it could run on lower quality internet out in the country where internet was not readily available. I have Cspire hot spot running the lake house TV. I am lucky to get 3-6 mps downloads speeds in those woods and YTTV worked on it. Others services not so much.

There are other online services that offer trials.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Interesting, I found it to be far better. Especially for sporting events. My tv is nice but not like Fishwater nice.
I am having trouble pulling the plug on Cspire. They are really good but really expensive. I am thinking hard about going to You Tube TV.

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
I'm another that found it to be better. We are running it on one smart LG tv and a couple of 1-2 year old fire sticks. We do not have the 4k

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Mine isn't a terrible picture, it's just not as good as my Directv. The color, motion, everything is just a little better. It's certainly $100 savings good enough.

Reactions: Armchair QB.sixpack

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
When I started YTTV I had trouble with the automatic resolution detection setting it 480p. So I had to manually change it to the best available resolution.

I haven't seen that problem in a long time, but it might be worth checking it.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Water is wet. No streaming app picture quality is ever going to touch the hardwired satellite product from DirecTV or Dish. Its a compressed feed that makes it possible to stream over Wi-Fi. 99.9% of people either can’t tell the difference, don’t care, or both. Just like 99.9% of people are fine with a Camry or an Accord and aren’t splurging on a Bugatti.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
I have 5 samsung smart tv's in my house and have YTTV....i was running 4 Roku's and when we added a TV to my daughter's bedroom, i thought i would just run it from the samsung smart hub.....it was total siht.....so i added a roku to it and it changed everything...

Reactions: Seinfeld

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Water is wet. No streaming app picture quality is ever going to touch the hardwired satellite product from DirecTV or Dish. Its a compressed feed that makes it possible to stream over Wi-Fi. 99.9% of people either can’t tell the difference, don’t care, or both. Just like 99.9% of people are fine with a Camry or an Accord and aren’t splurging on a Bugatti.
My Directv and Dish picture quality were crap since both compressed the ever-living hell out of the signals. YTTV has a much better picture compared to their version of compressed entertainment; it's certainly far from perfect, but not bad at all on my wifi network.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I guess I never noticed it being that much worse. It’s a hell of a lot better than DirectV when there is a cloud above my house, I do know that for sure.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
If my old XFinity picture was a 10, my YTTV is an 8.5. Certain channels seem worse than others. But, it basically cut my internet & TV bill in half. So, I can live with it.

Also, I have 2GB Google Fiber. But, streaming over Wi-Fi on Apple TV.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Get better internet service.
Get the 4k package.
What is the issue?

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
Most smart TV processors are garbage and way under powered. Pick up an Amazon Firestick or an Apple TV and I think it will solve your problem.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I have 5 samsung smart tv's in my house and have YTTV....i was running 4 Roku's and when we added a TV to my daughter's bedroom, i thought i would just run it from the samsung smart hub.....it was total siht.....so i added a roku to it and it changed everything...
Pretty much had the same experience. I’ve got a couple Samsung TVs, and I love their pictures, but a lot of their smarthub apps are terrible strip downed versions of the ones that we’re all used to on phones, iPads, etc. I feel like tv makers have just about stopped putting any effort into their app centers because they know people are just gonna attach a Roku, chrome cast, etc anyway

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
When I started YTTV I had trouble with the automatic resolution detection setting it 480p. So I had to manually change it to the best available resolution.

I haven't seen that problem in a long time, but it might be worth checking it.
^^^ This was the issue. It was going with lower resolution. I might consider the 4K still but it's improved now. Look at 6Pack not being a worthless political fight! Lol

Reactions: DawgInThe256

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I feel like tv makers have just about stopped putting any effort into their app centers because they know people are just gonna attach a Roku, chrome cast, etc anyway
I've wondered about that for awhile. 2 of my sets have the "App Centers" and they suck (interfaces are bad), why would you consider that unless you just want to save the cost of a ROKU? But then you are giving up hundreds if not more of potential apps from the ROKU or whatever you are using.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
The 4K package adds about 1% of the content in 4K. YTTV is just super compressed. If you’re watching content on a 1080p TV, it will look ok. If you’re watching it on a 4K TV that doesn’t do good upconversion, it won’t look good. Majority of content is 720p on YTTV. Sounds like cooter solved his issue but YTTV will always struggle with picture quality until YouTube addresses the issues with their feeds and a lot of it is outside of their control.

Aug 18, 2009
This is the key. The device you run it on matters, I think. I run mine on Apple TVs, and the quality is as good as any other service I’ve had so long as my wifi speed isn’t lagging. I haven’t noticed a difference on the 4k fire sticks either.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login