Zac Selmon is sending a message and it isn't good.....

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Perhaps this will change today but the complete radio silence from Zac Selmon after events of the last few weeks culminating by the utter humiliation in College Station can only be interpreted three ways.

1. He has not yet made up his mind about Arnett

2. He is over his head himself

3. He doesn't care

This is the second straight program dumpster fire that he did not start but is responsible for putting out. He let the first one rage on and is still smoldering just waiting to flare up again in the spring. The second one is now fully involved with no reason whatsoever to let it burn but he still refuses to even acknowledge it's there. Do we even have an AD?

UPDATE: LOL Nevermind. I literally checked to make sure nothing happened right before posting. 10 minutes later Voila. Mr Selmon you have my apology. Now about baseball.....

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't get this mindset. Has firing a coach midseason become so commonplace that if it doesn't happen, we get mad at the AD?

He's going to be fired after the Egg Bowl, dude. Chill. And I'll be honest, they are probably providing him this lifeboat in the case he actually wins that game, to bring him back.

Caveat - if we lose to USM, I do think they'll fire him the next day. That's the unforgivable sin.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
There are only two things he can say. One is he’s fired. The second is a vote of confidence. The only true option is silence. I remain convinced that the right move is to cut bait now, but I feel confident that he will be fired immediately after the egg bowl at the latest.

Reactions: Dawgg

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Perhaps this will change today but the complete radio silence from Zac Selmon after events of the last few weeks culminating by the utter humiliation in College Station can only be interpreted three ways.

3. He doesn't care

This is the second straight program dumpster fire that he did not start but is responsible for putting out. He let the first one rage on and is still smoldering just waiting to flare up again in the spring. The second one is now fully involved with no reason whatsoever to let it burn but he still refuses to even acknowledge it's there. Do we even have an AD?
LOL. Clown

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

3. He doesn't care

What, specifically would you tell the fan base?

have you ever had an underperforming employee? Did you send a note to all your customers that you were working to fire him as soon as you found a suitable replacement?

bash the employee in public?

these complaints are just not well thought out or perhaps a product of youth

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I thought we put this sнit to bed over the past few weeks, but a little louder for those in the back:
ATHLETIC DIRECTORS DON’T NORMALLY BASH THEIR COACHES PUBLICLY AND IT’S STUPID TO EXPECT A PUBLIC STATEMENT BEFORE ARNETT IS ACTUALLY FIRED.

Take a seat and let the process play out.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I don't get this mindset. Has firing a coach midseason become so commonplace that if it doesn't happen, we get mad at the AD?

He's going to be fired after the Egg Bowl, dude. Chill. And I'll be honest, they are probably providing him this lifeboat in the case he actually wins that game, to bring him back.

Caveat - if we lose to USM, I do think they'll fire him the next day. That's the unforgivable sin.
The December signing day, the Transfer Portal and NIL has changed the way things need to be done now days. You still might be right but a different way of thinking has to happened.

Reactions: AFDawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
I thought we put this sнit to bed over the past few weeks, but a little louder for those in the back:
ATHLETIC DIRECTORS DON’T NORMALLY BASH THEIR COACHES PUBLICLY AND IT’S STUPID TO EXPECT A PUBLIC STATEMENT BEFORE ARNETT IS ACTUALLY FIRED.

Take a seat and let the process play out.
Problem is, the longer the process plays out, the worse it gets. When it's time to fire a coach, you're a lot better off firing him when that decision is made than waiting for the season to end. Not to mention, firing the coach now gives you a head start on identifying and recruiting your next coach. Contrary to what some of you believe, there's only so much you can do on that front (all very preliminary) as long as you don't have a vacancy.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
OR he could have been doing due diligence. I prefer measured decisions from leadership, personally.

I will also point out that a lot of y’all have apparently never worked for a large company. The HR wheels are not fast. Had a coworker years ago literally cuss out our boss and refuse to go to his office to discuss:. Sent him home and suspended him, but it took a week to cross the ts before he was officially fired…

Reactions: Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Why is it a bad plan? If the decision was made to move on, why delay it?
I don't like caving to fan pressure. Plus I thought he deserved the chance to get Rogers back and see if that helped anything. And there's the buyout that goes down after the EB. And....I wanted Arnett to own the whole season.

But it likely doesn't matter at the end of the day, if he gets the next hire right.

One thing is for certain - we are going to find out against USM if it was truly the talent on the roster - or if it was all Arnett. I suspect we will beat their a$$ now....so I guess I'm warming up to this.

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
Not sure he’s simply caving to fan pressure. We are getting worse every week. Our demeanor as a team is worse every week. Only possible way to potentially get a boost in morale for fans and players was to fire him this week. No upside to keeping him two more weeks while that would possibly make you behind in the coaching search.

As for USM, I just added State -13.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Problem is, the longer the process plays out, the worse it gets. When it's time to fire a coach, you're a lot better off firing him when that decision is made than waiting for the season to end. Not to mention, firing the coach now gives you a head start on identifying and recruiting your next coach. Contrary to what some of you believe, there's only so much you can do on that front (all very preliminary) as long as you don't have a vacancy.
Well, I meant take a seat for 10 minutes or so and let the process play out.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
And now that the announcement is out, it was well stated, thoughtful, timely and indicates that Selmon is actually doing his job on his terms to the best of his ability to serve MSU as the AD. <shocked face> I just assumed that he hadn’t even noticed football was doing poorly.***

patdog

May 28, 2007
Well, I meant take a seat for 10 minutes or so and let the process play out.

That's 10 minutes too long!!! ***

Seriously, I'm happy Selmon and Keenum did exactly what I've been saying they needed to. Now we can start to move forward again.

dgsmith15

Nov 10, 2008
Well, you got what you wanted. And I think it's a bad plan, caving to the fans is never a good thing.
Half Baked Boo GIF

• Haha
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Well, you got what you wanted. And I think it's a bad plan, caving to the fans is never a good thing.
I agree that caving to the fans is not a good thing. This board has shown thru the years that fans are often times very willing to complain and get all frothed up even though they are ignorant of knowing how the sport they are bitching about is played, or even some basic rules of the sport. Fan is short for fanatic and fanatics shouldnt lead.

With that said, I dont understand why you confidently claim Selmon caved to the fans. Has he said anything like 'I fired Arnett because so many fans want him gone' or even anything close to that?
And at some point, 'the fans' are why most any coach is fired. Even if an AD gives a coach 3 years and the coach sucks it up for 3 years, your argument could apply since the AD has to weigh fan interest in the program when deciding whether to keep or fire a coach.

Reactions: GloryDawg and Dawgg

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
There are only two ways you would keep Zach Arnett for another year.

1) You hired him and are ridiculously stubborn

2) You're both the AD and his mother (and even that scenario you would think hard)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login