Zavion in the portal

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I just hope we didn't pay him anything from the BI, outside of what he was owed for 2023. And also hope no other State folks lost money on him, however the Google thing is structured.

Reactions: Bulldog45

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
Swallow this pill...we are a farm system for the blue bloods.
If it makes you feel better, it’s not just us. You can’t blame the players at all. In some cases, it’s a life changing amount of money. LSU I’m sure can offer him an amount that’s more than $100k what we can. And these kids only have 4 years to make bank. There’s no guarantee Zavion makes it to an NFL roster contract.

Reactions: patdog

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
My question is will LSU ever get busted for tampering?
Not a chance. NCAA has gotten a pretty nice whooping from the federal courts on trying to enforce rules to limit players maximizing their earnings. And it’s only “tampering” because it’s an NCAA rule. None of these players are playing football under any kind of real legal contract. So it’s not “tampering” under any real legal definition.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If it makes you feel better, it’s not just us. You can’t blame the players at all. In some cases, it’s a life changing amount of money. LSU I’m sure can offer him an amount that’s more than $100k what we can. And these kids only have 4 years to make bank. There’s no guarantee Zavion makes it to an NFL roster contract.
Well they may just have a better department in whatever he's majoring in......ever think about that ? ****

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Good 17'ing Riddance

I feel certain that the BI had him on a monthly payment plan, so it should not be a big hit to our funding.
Yes, structure it weekly or monthly or back load it.

When players were payed "under the table" it was all monthly, weekly, etc. Rarely was there a Cam Newton type deal where the player got the entire payment up front.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
If I was in his shoes I would go get as much money as I could. And yes, as a fan, I hate this NIL crap. I wish everyone would play by the rules we had, but, nope. This may be his only chance to make a ton of money in his lifetime. I don't think he's majoring in Engineering or planning on going to medical school. I'll add that this NIL stuff may not be this ludicrous in the near future. Who knows?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranchdawg

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I remember when NIL was first being discussed with video games using NIL of college football players. People actually linked NIL to profits from businesses using a player's name, image, or likeness. By the same logic, how much money would Zavion make for LSU, and if they paid him more, wouldn't that violate NCAA rules? See, that's how a logical person thinks. Now greed has creeped into college football to the point that it's being ruined for fan loyalty. People don't even really know what NIL is or was. No wonder greed is a sin.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
the free-market in players, or freer market. It's good to be rich. You get to buy nice things, live in nice neighborhoods, send your kids to private schools, make tax-deductible donations to 501(c)(3) NIL collectives and lobby Congress and state legislatures for tax cuts. He's not worth enough next year for us considering it's a rebuilding year. Most of the kids playing big-time college football are poor black kids or those from modest backgrounds. Most of the fans in the South are white guys whose emotional well-being on weekends in the fall is dependent on these kids winning games to make us feel good. The players might not have our emotional well-being at the top of their list of priorities.

Last edited:

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
Surely with the guys declaring (used up eligibility) and zavion transferring frees up some money plus the over 2 million we just raised we should at least make an offer to get a guy like Gabriel to come visit.

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
We also could go with a strategy of putting money toward offensive and defensive line. Thats where the game is won and lost. Anybody know what an olineman runs? Defensive lineman?

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
This system sucks and likely not sustainable… but there is no one to blame but the presidents, ADs and coaches. The old model of schools making billions and coaches making 10’s of millions was not sustainable either. And coaches, ADs and presidents buried their heads in the sand and raked in millions while the players got nothing. It was only a matter of time before the tide turned. There was ample time for the leaders to actually create a working system and they refused to do it. When leaders won’t lead, you get anarchy and that’s where we are now.

Reactions: HuskyBDawg

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Surely with the guys declaring (used up eligibility) and zavion transferring frees up some money plus the over 2 million we just raised we should at least make an offer to get a guy like Gabriel to come visit.
Gabriel won’t sniff our campus.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Is it possible to assemble a team full of good value players and win? Could we put $50,000/o-lineman, $75,000/d-lineman, find some WR's like DeRunya who are really good at fighting for a ball, but not really fast and a dual threat QB for $1 mil? Seems like we could. Make them just good enough nobody else really wants them, but good enough they can gel as a team and win. Might be the only way we can survive.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
My suggestion to the athletes would be to appreciate the opportunity to get a mostly free college education. ( I know baseball is way less ) The annual NIL shakedowns will keep them having a good time for 4 years but a college degree will support their career for a lifetime. I am guessing that a very Few of them even care. For every one scholar athlete you hear about there are a hundred Kylin Hills that just waste the opportunity.

Reactions: Fishsqeezer

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Is it possible to assemble a team full of good value players and win? Could we put $50,000/o-lineman, $75,000/d-lineman, find some WR's like DeRunya who are really good at fighting for a ball, but not really fast and a dual threat QB for $1 mil? Seems like we could. Make them just good enough nobody else really wants them, but good enough they can gel as a team and win. Might be the only way we can survive.
Probably not a bad formula, shoot for a Relf-era type team. Problem with the wide open offenses these days is all those skill players to run it command a premium.

NawlBennyDawg

Jan 23, 2023
Saw this coming from a mile away. Google boy wasn’t loyal to this team ever since he entered the portal the first time. Along with tweeting out “y’all funny.” Dude is a complete drama queen. Kylin 2.0. If you ain’t a dawg…

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
$50,000 for an OL?

$75,000 for a DL?

What kind of player do you think that gets us?

At Utah, one of the NIL perks is you get a $70,000 truck. You know who gets one? EVERYONE ON THE ROSTER. Even walk-ons. And that’s just one of the perks….at Utah! A school that was in the damn G5 just 10-15 years ago. That’s what we’d be up against in the Big 12….what do you think we’ve got to throw down for players in SEC country?

A good DL is going to run you $200k per year. Every year. A Jeffrey Simmons caliber DL will be $500k +. Again, every year.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Probably not a bad formula, shoot for a Relf-era type team. Problem with the wide open offenses these days is all those skill players to run it command a premium.
Uh, the “Relf-era” consisted of two of the most talented teams to ever be assembled at MSU. Not sure that’s the best example.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Was listening to a local Memphis radio station and heard a commercial that featured a U. of Memphis OL making a pitch for a local insurance company. Have to admit the young man was well spoken and did a convincing job representing the company. This sounded like the way it should be. They guy did a good commercial and surely got paid for it under the NIL deal rules, etc. Unfortunately, most of these NIL deals will end up being just a slush fund payment system where the student-athlete does absolutely nothing for the money.

Reactions: Bulldog45

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
$50,000 for an OL?

$75,000 for a DL?

What kind of player do you think that gets us?

At Utah, one of the NIL perks is you get a $70,000 truck. You know who gets one? EVERYONE ON THE ROSTER. Even walk-ons. And that’s just one of the perks….at Utah! A school that was in the damn G5 just 10-15 years ago. That’s what we’d be up against in the Big 12….what do you think we’ve got to throw down for players in SEC country?

A good DL is going to run you $200k per year. Every year. A Jeffrey Simmons caliber DL will be $500k +. Again, every year.
Hold on, those trucks are one year leases. lets not get carried away.

Son_of_34

Sep 30, 2012
Swallow this pill...we are a farm system for the blue bloods.
Farm school for the blue bloods? Z. Thomas has more portal appearances than receiving TDs and RaRa had what 323 yards for the entire year

I think these kids are just idiots chasing a check and by god let them usually never works out in the end

Reactions: trob115

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
This is the script to moneyball... I like it.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
No Way Wow GIF

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login