4-Point Play: What about the other bigs?

These week-long breaks between games may be helpful for teams working past losses, but they’re no fun for fans. We’re just midway through the wait for Kentucky‘s next matchup, this time a road trip to Philadelphia to take on Penn. It’s a big opportunity and a must-win for the Cats, who dug themselves a hole with the loss to UNCW this past weekend — the analytics hated it just as much as BBN did.
We talked through that on Tuesday’s edition of Sources Say. If you missed that, tune in below:
But now it’s time to look ahead to what — and maybe who — is next. We do that in today’s edition of 4-Point Play.
Keep an eye on Ugonna Onyenso
As Kentucky works in one 7-footer in Aaron Bradshaw, could another be on the way? John Calipari said last week Onyenso had begun “bouncing around, running and jumping” after surgically repairing a broken foot this summer. He previously said the sophomore center was roughly two weeks behind the freshman, who made his post-injury debut on Saturday.
What does that mean today? Like with Bradshaw, it’s going to be a process, but it’s one set to begin in the not-too-distant future. The dynamic shot-blocker is progressing nicely and the expectation is that he’ll be ready to make his debut ahead of conference play, sometime in the next few weeks. At minimum, he’ll start as a depth piece in the frontcourt capable of providing rim protection and rebounding help. It’s another body to help make practice harder than the games, a priority for Coach Cal moving forward.
What does that mean for Zvonimir Ivisic?
As the waiting game continues with the NCAA, Zvonimir Ivisic continues to make up for lost time with the team. Between various illnesses and minor injuries, it’s been one setback after another for the 7-foot-2 forward out of Croatia. But he’s practicing — Calipari said he’s battling with Bradshaw at the five while Tre Mitchell and Adou Thiero compete at the four — and finally building some momentum. Early returns are positive after a slow start in Lexington.
But none of it matters if he isn’t declared eligible. Fortunately for Ivisic and the Kentucky program, the NCAA hasn’t made a final decision one way or the other — and these missed games count toward any potential suspension, should that be the verdict. What we do know, though, is that the NCAA continues to roll through its docket, still declaring players eligible this week. Wake Forest’s Efton Reid is the latest.
Top 10
- 1New
Flau'jae Johnson
Makes decision on WNBA Draft
- 2Hot
Lamar Jackson
Dale Earnhardt Jr. legal battle
- 3
Porter Moser
Dispels rumors
- 4
Lincoln Riley
'We'll see what happens'
- 5Trending
TJ Finley
Attorney speaks out after arrest
Get the On3 Top 10 to your inbox every morning
By clicking "Subscribe to Newsletter", I agree to On3's Privacy Notice, Terms, and use of my personal information described therein.
VJ Edgecombe is a bad, bad man
Kentucky is in hot pursuit of five-star guard VJ Edgecombe, who will be the nation’s top uncommitted prospect following Dylan Harper’s announcement later today. And though Duke and St. John’s have been seen as the teams to beat in recent months, the Wildcats have firmly emerged as a top contender to land his commitment. Coach Cal and the UK staff have made several in-person trips to watch the 6-4 shooting guard in recent weeks, and for good reason.
Because Edgecombe can play.
The nation’s No. 5 overall prospect and No. 2 shooting guard is fluid and explosive with a smooth jumper, particularly as a catch-and-shoot specialist. On the defensive end, he’s aggressive and a disruptor, regularly turning forced turnovers into transition buckets the other way. A willing passer with great feel, it’s hard not to see how Edgecombe shot up the rankings and into the top five coming out of the summer.
And the Wildcats are firmly in this thing.
Going after Carmelo Anthony’s kid?
Kiyan Anthony is Edgecombe’s teammate at Long Island Lutheran (NY). He’s also the son of 10-time NBA All-Star Carmelo Anthony. And Coach Cal wants to talk.
In an interview with On3’s Joe Tipton, the four-star guard said he’s been in touch with the staff since things ramped up with Edgecombe. Seeing him in person alongside the top-five senior, Kentucky was “really impressed” by the top-40 junior.
“They tell me like they got their eye on me, don’t give up on them and stuff,” Anthony said. “Even though they haven’t officially offered me yet, they always tell me good things. … They were really excited about how I played (last week vs. Oak Hill).”
Something to monitor.
Discuss This Article
Comments have moved.
Join the conversation and talk about this article and all things Kentucky Sports in the new KSR Message Board.
KSBoard