FYI: Kendall rogers

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
he went 6 for 15 last week
5 for 17 the week before that
7 for 16 the week before that

he went 1 for 13 this past week, and there was no mid week game.

Sometimes people have a bad weekend. He's had 1 in the month. It happens. This 19 for 61 during the month, suffices as a good month....

But i do agree, he's the key to the order. But i think we've gotten a lot from him, as I dont consider him that good of a hitter.
He is 5 for his last 24 in his last 7 conference games with 10 Ks. He did draw 3 walks on Friday against Ark. but lots of swing and miss lately.

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He is 5 for his last 24 in his last 7 conference games with 10 Ks. He did draw 3 walks on Friday against Ark. but lots of swing and miss lately.
Funny we stop at 7:

He was 4 for 12 against Alabama
He was 4 for 11 against Arkansas
He was 4 for 11 against Vandy
He was 3 for 7 against Auburn

He had a bad weekend. Nothing more. Nothing less.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Funny we stop at 7:

He was 4 for 12 against Alabama
He was 4 for 11 against Arkansas
He was 4 for 11 against Vandy
He was 3 for 7 against memphis

He had a bad weekend. Nothing more. Nothing less.
I stopped at 7 bc that’s where his bad hit the skids. Thats why we deal in streaks. They start somewhere. Gotta cut down on Ks.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
we don't have a pitching staff for tournament play. that's the reality
Actually I think we do as long as Pico and Nate stay on course. Both have looked quite good. Nate’s outing Saturday resembled his old self. He was good with his off speed stuff and his velo was in his old range. Plus he pounded the zone. Pico is coming along and just needs a little more stamina that can take him through 5 innings. We have been cautious with these players and it is an approach that could pay big dividends in a regional.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I stopped at 7 bc that’s where his bad hit the skids. Thats why we deal in streaks. They start somewhere. Gotta cut down on Ks.
but you left out the mid week game in that 7. That would make his numbers be 7 for 28 over that time.

We are picking and choose the stats to made the skid look bad. He's been fine. He had a bad weekend. And in the same time frame you are concerned about he's hitting 250. 250 isnt much of a skid.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
but you left out the mid week game in that 7. That would make his numbers be 7 for 28 over that time.

We are picking and choose the stats to made the skid look bad. He's been fine. He had a bad weekend. And in the same time frame you are concerned about he's hitting 250. 250 isnt much of a skid.
I just don’t care what someone does against N Alabama. Thats worthless. We can agree to disagree on this.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I just don’t care what someone does against N Alabama. Thats worthless. We can agree to disagree on this.
Well you say his last 7 games, but there was an 8th game in there. Your cherry picking stats here.

Over the last 4 sec weekends he's been fine
Over the last month of games overall he's been fine
In the time frame you are referring too, he's hitting 250

If you want to pick out his bad games and throw out his good games and call it a skid... go right ahead

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Well you say his last 7 games, but there was an 8th game in there. Your cherry picking stats here.

Over the last 4 sec weekends he's been fine
Over the last month of games overall he's been fine
In the time frame you are referring too, he's hitting 250

If you want to pick out his bad games and throw out his good games and call it a skid... go right ahead
I’m not cherry picking. If he hit .500 in 10 games against North Alabama to start a year I’d say “we don’t know anything about him yet”. It’s just menaingless. I want to know how someone is hitting in conference that’s the best metric.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I’m not cherry picking. If he hit .500 in 10 games against North Alabama to start a year I’d say “we don’t know anything about him yet”. It’s just menaingless. I want to know how someone is hitting in conference that’s the best metric.
And I'm Ok with that. He's a 270-300 hitter in conference with an OPS that flucuates b/t 750-800

Thats about what he is. He's not any better than that. He shouldnt and wouldnt be hitting at the top of any real lineup. He's more of a guy that you want down in an order that can be free swinging and create a little havoc when he gets on base.

My point was and is--- we are getting what we are suppose to be getting out of him. Even with the 1 for 13 weekend. His numbers are about where they should be. He's 19 for 61 over his last 4 conference weekends. Thats about all the milk we are going to get out of that cow.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
And I'm Ok with that. He's a 270-300 hitter in conference with an OPS that flucuates b/t 750-800

Thats about what he is. He's not any better than that. He shouldnt and wouldnt be hitting at the top of any real lineup. He's more of a guy that you want down in an order that can be free swinging and create a little havoc when he gets on base.

My point was and is--- we are getting what we are suppose to be getting out of him. Even with the 1 for 13 weekend. His numbers are about where they should be. He's 19 for 61 over his last 4 conference weekends. Thats about all the milk we are going to get out of that cow.
We agree on that. He is fine. But I think our fanbase overrates him. He is 4th on the team in OBP in conference. Not bad but not leadoff stuff. And of course he brings no slug. Solid glove. He had just been better in the middle of the season

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We agree on that. He is fine. But I think our fanbase overrates him. He is 4th on the team in OBP in conference. Not bad but not leadoff stuff. And of course he brings no slug. Solid glove.
Our fan base overrrates his without question. He's an average SEC middle infielder. He's a guy most every SEC roster contains, but he's not a guy that should be a KEY guy on any SEC team.

As you stated, glove first guy, the switch hitting and ability to steal a base brings value.. but he doesnt do enough at the plate to garner hitting at the top of the order

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Per Kendall Roger’s podcast last night:

we need to win some GAMES (plural) in Hoover… to have a chance at playing at home during the regional round.
This should not be a surprise to anyone given our current RPI. Rogers was overselling us previously and too many of us went running with that. We've also had an absurd national ranking for much of the last few weeks that we don't deserve.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
The harping on pitching is strange to me. Do people think we didn't sweep because of pitching when we gave up 9 runs in 3 games.

Just look at the SEC stats if you think pitching is a problem vs other teams.

We need to find more runs.
It would help is our two awesome hitters were you know.... awesome. What did DJ do Saturday? 0-5 with three Ks with a combined 11 on base? I could have done that.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I would rather give the team the week off and play somewhere else and win the Regional round than exhaust all of our pitching, somehow host the regional, just to lose to the first team we play.
Regionals don't start till a week from Friday. We're not going to exhaust our pitching in the SEC tournament. They'll have plenty of time for rest for the regionals. The worse risk is only playing 1 game in 13 days heading into a regional. Too much time without hitting against live pitching is bad. Baseball is a game that needs to be played regularly to stay in rhythm.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I would rather give the team the week off and play somewhere else and win the Regional round than exhaust all of our pitching, somehow host the regional, just to lose to the first team we play.
That's a fake rumor manufactured by MSU fan tunnel vision. Fact is, the SECT really has no bearing on the postseason, good or bad. May as well try to have some success there.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
That's a fake rumor manufactured by MSU fan tunnel vision. Fact is, the SECT really has no bearing on the postseason, good or bad. May as well try to have some success there.

Maybe not, and I usually don't give a **** what we do in Hoover. But I'd like to win some games this year and push our RPI as high as possible. At least make them work a bit to 17 us over.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
thats fact?

this year i actually think it matters as they committee is tryign to sort out the last hosting spot AND see how the 13 win bubble teams separate themselves.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
thats fact?

this year i actually think it matters as they committee is tryign to sort out the last hosting spot AND see how the 13 win bubble teams separate themselves.
We are talking about whether or not playing in the SECT affects the individual team, i.e. do they get tired/worn out, is it better to rest, etc. Not whether it matters to the committee.

In that vein, it obviously plays a part, albeit a small part, like any other weekend and then whatever the affect is on the RPI.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Most of the time I agree with this but I think it was a definite factor in 2012. We played six days in a row in Hoover (all day games in high heat, no night games, no rain or overcast) and won the tournament and then immediately went to Tallahassee and got punked by Samford twice.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Most of the time I agree with this but I think it was a definite factor in 2012. We played six days in a row in Hoover (all day games in high heat, no night games, no rain or overcast) and won the tournament and then immediately went to Tallahassee and got punked by Samford twice.
We had FOUR days rest before the first regional game. You can't tell me 18-23 year old athletes are still tired from anything after four days of rest. A 2 seed lost to a 3 seed. It's not like it was some huge upset we rarely see. Not to mention, there is zero chance we play 6 games in this SECT.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The ideal scenario is win 2 and go home. Stay on schedule. Be back home on Friday. Give the kids 2 days off and get ready to roll on for the regional.

Winning 2 keeps your RPI where it should be, gets 3 games in, which means youve used your pitchers.. and your dont have 4 at-bats in 12 days.

Everyone outside of Tn, Kentucky, TxAm, and Arkansas-- have a good bit to play for this tournament... and really only 1.. ole miss has nothing to play for.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I think what Powell did against North Al was pretty worthwhile, unless you wanted an L in that game.

Every 17'n game matters. That should be obvious.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We had FOUR days rest before the first regional game. You can't tell me 18-23 year old athletes are still tired from anything after four days of rest. A 2 seed lost to a 3 seed. It's not like it was some huge upset we rarely see. Not to mention, there is zero chance we play 6 games in this SECT.
Well it’s emotional stamina too. We put a lot into that week and clearly wanted to win it and were thrilled to do so.

That team did have some weird losses throughout the year so in some ways no, it’s not that surprising that 2 lost to a 3. It was odd given who we had on the mound, though. Seeing Stratton and Holder dominate the SEC and then not have it on Regional weekend was bizarre. If we’d been eliminated by Florida State I don’t think anyone would’ve thought much of it, but not even making it to Florida State is why many have long believed we blew our wad in Hoover that year.

jb1020

Jun 7, 2009
To be in the conversation after dropping so many **** games this year still amazes me

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The ideal scenario is win 2 and go home. Stay on schedule. Be back home on Friday. Give the kids 2 days off and get ready to roll on for the regional.

Winning 2 keeps your RPI where it should be, gets 3 games in, which means youve used your pitchers.. and your dont have 4 at-bats in 12 days.

Everyone outside of Tn, Kentucky, TxAm, and Arkansas-- have a good bit to play for this tournament... and really only 1.. ole miss has nothing to play for.
The ideal scenario is to win the tournament.

I love the fake news that is generated by our baseball fanbase. Maybe I should call it artificial baseball intelligence?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The ideal scenario is to win the tournament.

I love the fake news that is generated by our baseball fanbase. Maybe I should call it artificial baseball intelligence?
For us it is. But for the top 4 teams, they are looking at the long game. They aren’t gonna stress their teams to win this

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
We don't have the pitching staff for the SECT, no.
that's what i was talking about. a tournament is different from a series. we may be fine in a series, if luck falls on our side, but we don't have the depth to make a tournament run.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
that's what i was talking about. a tournament is different from a series. we may be fine in a series, if luck falls on our side, but we don't have the depth to make a tournament run.
Depends on what you define as a “run”. Beat OM tomorrow and see if you can win two games with Khal and Jurrangelo on the mound against likely disinterested UT and A&M teams. Just doing that would get you to Saturday. Beyond that point, I agree, not much in the tank for us.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Examples...

3-2 loss to Air Force

3-2 loss to Austin Peay

2-1 win over New Orleans (needed 11 innings to find 2 runs on NO midweek pitching??)

4-3 loss to Florida in game 3

3-2 loss to Georgia

4-3 loss to Mizzou in game 3 (probably to their game 1 level pitching, to be fair)

These losses are on the offense to me even though we lost leads in a number of them.

Be a little better on offense in two of these games (and their are other examples) and we're in a much better place.
Well the 3-2 loss to GA was all on the ****** SEC office. Can't blame our team on that one when all our good players were thrown out of the game for having the audacity to run toward the dugout after the 3rd out of the inning that happened to coincide with a dust up. I don't think any official decision about a game will ever be as ridiculous as that one. If the SEC had any scruples they would throw out the result of that game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawgs87

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Well the 3-2 loss was all on the ****** SEC office. Can't blame our team on that one when all our good players were thrown out of the game for having the audacity to run toward the dugout after the 3rd out of the inning that happened to coincide with a dust up. I don't think any official decision about a game will ever be as ridiculous as that one. If the SEC had any scruples they would throw out the result of that game.

No defending the SEC decision. Took away a chance for us to win the game.

But that was the Top of the 8th and we had 2 runs. Offense wasn't exactly killing it.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Well the 3-2 loss was all on the ****** SEC office. Can't blame our team on that one when all our good players were thrown out of the game for having the audacity to run toward the dugout after the 3rd out of the inning that happened to coincide with a dust up. I don't think any official decision about a game will ever be as ridiculous as that one. If the SEC had any scruples they would throw out the result of that game.
And the fact that has our catcher just gone back to the dugout the scuff up woulda never happened

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
And the fact that has our catcher just gone back to the dugout the scuff up woulda never happened
Our catcher should have been thrown out. It's all the other ejections that were utterly asinine when there wasn't even a real altercation. And most of our guys that were thrown out were just coming off the field.

Reactions: HuntDawg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
This should not be a surprise to anyone given our current RPI. Rogers was overselling us previously and too many of us went running with that. We've also had an absurd national ranking for much of the last few weeks that we don't deserve.

What's your basis for our national ranking being absurd?

RPI has us lower than any other data based ranking I've seen at 22.

Others generally have us from 15 to 20.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
For us it is. But for the top 4 teams, they are looking at the long game. They aren’t gonna stress their teams to win this
Fart.

That’s the point you didn’t get. The results of Hoover don’t affect regional play. ESPECIALLY for the top teams. Plenty of rest days between Sunday and Friday (at earliest).

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Fart.

That’s the point you didn’t get. The results of Hoover don’t affect regional play. ESPECIALLY for the top teams. Plenty of rest days between Sunday and Friday (at earliest).
God you know so very little.

yes. But there are Tuesday and Wednesday games to get to those games

The top teams are not going to bring their top arms back on short rest. The top teams also aren’t going to over extend their bullpen to win the sec tournament.

it’s not about the rest. It’s about how the tournament is managed, when you have nothing else to prove.

again go back to 1994 my friend. These discussions are way over your head

Dawg Hammer 87

May 6, 2024
Not the only issue, but he was an on base machine mid season. As someone else posted, the bottom is finally producing.

Yet, the top is regressing & the middle, heart of the lineup, is disappearing.
3 and 4 hole hitters are now all time strike out leaders for msu . DJ #1 and Hines#2 with an all out race to the finish! yes they have been good at times but terrible when needed !