Ivan Boesky dies

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Now there is a name I have not heard in a while.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
Worked pretty damn well for him and Michael Milken (last I saw, he was lecturing at Standford - and made a ***ton of money in some "educational enterprises")

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Worked pretty damn well for him and Michael Milken (last I saw, he was lecturing at Standford - and made a ***ton of money in some "educational enterprises")
Milken was indicted for racketeering and securities fraud in 1989 in an insider trading investigation. In a plea bargain, he pleaded guilty to securities and reporting violations but not to racketeering or insider trading. Milken was sentenced to ten years in prison, fined $600 million (although his personal website claims $200 million)[7] and permanently barred from the securities industry by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Milken was indicted for racketeering and securities fraud in 1989 in an insider trading investigation. In a plea bargain, he pleaded guilty to securities and reporting violations but not to racketeering or insider trading. Milken was sentenced to ten years in prison, fined $600 million (although his personal website claims $200 million)[7] and permanently barred from the securities industry by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Greed has no conscience or ethical dilemas to be concerned about.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Now there is a name I have not heard in a while.

Theres A Name Ive Not Heard In Many Years GIF - Theres A Name Ive Not Heard  In Many Years - Discover & Share GIFs

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
Not sure of the exact number of days, but Milken did maybe a year or two.... at a CC camo (might have been Lewisburg)

I wouldn't want to do that.... but he netted out a gigantic #### ton of money from that whole deal.... I expect he would do it all over again, if necessary (rather than live as a "schmuck")

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Not sure of the exact number of days, but Milken did maybe a year or two.... at a CC camo (might have been Lewisburg)

I wouldn't want to do that.... but he netted out a gigantic #### ton of money from that whole deal.... I expect he would do it all over again, if necessary (rather than live as a "schmuck")
But it cost him between $200 and $600 million and his ability to ply his trade. My maths tells me that ain't "healthy"

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
But it cost him between $200 and $600 million and his ability to ply his trade. My maths tells me that ain't "healthy"
His net "costs" (financially) was netting out boocoo $, even after the $200 Mill fine..... and the "can't ply his trade"? He just igniored that (as in his "educational enterprises".....)
Some agency considered bringing new charges against him for that, but they didn't..... and he made a whole lot more boocoo $$.

I'm not saying that I would do it.... but I'd bet a guy like him would do it all over again, if necessary (but that's just a hunch)

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
His net "costs" (financially) was netting out boocoo $, even after the $200 Mill fine..... and the "can't ply his trade"? He just igniored that (as in his "educational enterprises".....)
Some agency considered bringing new charges against him for that, but they didn't..... and he made a whole lot more boocoo $$.

I'm not saying that I would do it.... but I'd bet a guy like him would do it all over again, if necessary (but that's just a hunch)
If you are saying the his income lecturing made way more than his fines (which technically was $600 million although he said lower), I'd like to see some back up to support that.
And I still don't see a connection between his greed and his success in educational enterprises. Seems like he could have still created that successful business without the criminal activity.
I'll stick with the original notion of, greed is not healthy.

Last edited:

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
If you are saying the his income lecturing made way more than his fines (which technically was $600 million although he said lower), I'd like to see some back up to support that.
And I still don't see a connection between his greed and his success in educational enterprises. Seems like he could have still created that successful business without the criminal activity.
I'll stick with the original notion of, greed is not healthy.
I'm really not sure who/what you are arguing with:

My points were just that:
A) All in, he made boocoo net $$ (both before and after his brief incarceration - regardless of the $200 million fine.... and I think he also had to do some restitution) - much of it due to, either directly or indirectly (from his notoriety) because of what he did (which was illegal, of course), and lived (and now lives) like royalty.
B) I would wager, though it wouldn't be my preferred tradeoff, that he would do it all over again (maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't, maybe even he couldn't answer that question in complete confidence - just that its my hunch based upon the kind of guy he seems to be)

I certainly did not ever say anything remotely similar to "greed is healthy" (not only did I never say anything like that, but I wouldn't agree with that contention)

Blair10

Nov 14, 2021

Milken plead guilty to 6 counts of securities and tax violations. Milken was fined $200 million by the SEC and he agreed to pay $400 million to investors impacted by his crimes.

Milken served 22 months of his ten year sentence and was pardoned by Trump on February 8, 2020 after being urged to do so by Rupert Murdoch, Rudy Giuliani, and Kevin McCarthy.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
It is rude to speak ill of the departed, so I have nothing to add.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
““A dedicated and loving father above all else. A beautiful soul who inspired me to work hard, care harder, and always remain curious,” read a caption on a Monday Instagram post by the account associated with Marianne Boesky’s art gallery.”

OBVIOUSLY. o_O , that money thing was all just a misunderstanding.
Hear she learned her ethics from her father.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
FWIW:
Some people think "Pardons" are generally a person's "Get out of Jail" card (sometimes, not always)

MIlken was out of prison - for ~20 years, give or take, IIRC - before receiving a Presidential Pardon.... and, by all accounts had made some significant positive impacts over those years (but, to each their own).
I expect Giuliani was on Board with it (but don't know that) since he was the guy who had put Milken in jail (for a prosecution that many felt, at the time, was overboard vindictive given what Milken did) and without his being OK with it, I doubt the pardon would have happened.

Reactions: Cigarowl

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
I'm really not sure who/what you are arguing with:

My points were just that:
A) All in, he made boocoo net $$ (both before and after his brief incarceration - regardless of the $200 million fine.... and I think he also had to do some restitution) - much of it due to, either directly or indirectly (from his notoriety) because of what he did (which was illegal, of course), and lived (and now lives) like royalty.
B) I would wager, though it wouldn't be my preferred tradeoff, that he would do it all over again (maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't, maybe even he couldn't answer that question in complete confidence - just that its my hunch based upon the kind of guy he seems to be)

I certainly did not ever say anything remotely similar to "greed is healthy" (not only did I never say anything like that, but I wouldn't agree with that contention)
Perhaps I misinterpreted your initial post as disagreeing with my comment "Wonder if he still thought greed was healthy"

Latest posts