Jamon Hughes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgDawg

May 24, 2006
He drives a nice car. Must have forgotten to pay for the car tag.

Per Veazey's Blog:

I've just returned from Starkville Municipal Court, where I was able to obtain copies of the tickets given to MSU linebacker Jamon Hughes yesterday.

(If you haven't heard by now, Hughes is suspended indefinitely for an unspecified violation of team rules. Mississippi State made the announcement a little less than an hour ago. An online story should be up soon.)

Here's what allegedly happened yesterday with Hughes:

He was stopped at 5:20 p.m.on Highway 12 near the Montgomery Street intersection in a 2008 Lincoln Town Car.

He was cited for an alleged DUI, with a .05 blood alcohol content listed on the ticket. For those under 21, the legal limit is .02. Hughes won't turn 21 until Dec. 30.

Hughes was also cited for having an expired tag, no proof of liability insurance and a seatbelt violation.

He's scheduled to appear in Starkville Municipal Court on March 17.

Though I was only out at practice for a few minutes before hearing about this and heading up to City Hall, I'm told Hughes was practicing today. The suspension won't take effect until State's season starts. Hughes will participate in spring drills.

M

MsuD00D

Apparently a lot more than it used to be. Heard on the radio last week that Fulmer suspended Colquitt 5 games next season for a DUI.

Coast Dawg

Feb 28, 2008
around the country, or I should say... small college town cops handle this differently. Call the head coach and turn them in, instead of an arrest

JohnDawg

Sep 1, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________He was stopped at 5:20 p.m.on Highway 12 near the Montgomery Street intersection in a 2008 Lincoln Town Car._________________________________________________

Quick, there's a black guy driving a $50,000 car. Pull him over and cue the Chappelle Show.

"Lets sprinkle some crack on him and get the hell out of here."

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
he allegedly blew a .05. I have no sympathy for him if he was doing what he was accused of.

futaba.79

Jun 4, 2007
like I'm defending him, though I'm not. .05 is two beers, three tops.

I doubt I'm wrong in thinking that the majority of posters on this board drove after two beers when they were 20.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
you already know the rules. Like one of my high school teachers always said, if you don't want to go to jail, don't break the law.

msubball2525

Feb 25, 2008
I totally agree with you. When I was there, if someone had only had 2-3 beers then that WAS our designated driver for the night.

I am not condoning(sp?) this, I am just saying.

maygray1

Feb 28, 2008
should get pulled over and asked how/why he is driving a 2008 ventage car. They should be able to trace the deal back to mom and pop. Its the ONLY way small schools like us will ever be able to compete. A 2008 Lincoln Anything is $40K. Mamma didn't buy that.

Jamon didn't go to class anyway. DUI or not - he never starts for CC.

slickdawg

May 28, 2007
The tag was expired and wasn't even for that car, the cop punched it in on his laptop, saw the tag wasn't for an 08 towncar, pulled him over, and it went downhill from there fast.

rexxx

Feb 23, 2008
I will condone it if you won't. I can't believe the SPD gave him a dui for this. And I can't believe there are pussies on this board that think he is getting what he deserves.

bulldogbaja

Dec 18, 2007
people are pussies who don't condone drinking and driving?
It is a DUI every time in Starkville if you drink and drive and you're not 21. And anybody who's underage and isn't an idiot and has been in Starkville more than 2 days knows that. And it kinda makes sense that it's illegal to drink and drive under 21 since it's illegal to drink under 21.
Now did I drink before i turned 21? sure. I have an MIP to prove it. But it was my own fault, and i got caught. And i DIDN'T drive even after 2 beers before I turned 21, because I knew I would be one tiny traffic mistake away from a DUI.
Now .05 isn't in the dangerous category, it's only illegal because he was underage anyway. But people who drive drunk are the absolute scum of the earth. I hope that doesn't include you rex.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
WTF?

He screwed up. He's going to get punished for it. I want Croom to punish him so that other players hopefully will think twice before they do something stupid. That's a big reason why our team got out of control early in the decade- there was no discipline. Give Croom credit this time for suspending him for a game during the regular season and not the spring game.

dhm7t

Feb 28, 2008
Did CC suspend Riddell for one game or two last year after his DUI. I would think he would do the same to Hughes.

WillemWallace

Feb 20, 2008
I didn't think anybody could be this dumb.

He was over the legal limit and got caught. If you break the law and get caught, you have to deal with it.

Porkchop.sixpack

Jan 23, 2007
drink more.

With that said, a few thoughts:

1. He got caught. He got a ticket. It's public. He should be punished. You do stupid ****, you pay the consequences.

2. That doesn't mean he did something so much more stupid than what other people do. He just got caught. He was .05. He probably had a couple of beers.

3. He is one of our football players. I wish the cop had cut him a break, locked his car and left it, and dumped Jamon off at the front door of one of our assistant coaches.

4. You never know what happened. He might have tried #3 and Jamon acted like an ***.

5. Our coaches might have put out the word "Don't bring them to me. Just treat them as you normally would anyone else." You never know.

6. The car. This is a problem. I would say the odds that this car is legit are small. But, it does raise the issue: If you are an alumn that wants to donate a car, BUY A DAMN TAG FOR HIM, TOO!

All in all, I would have prefered the cop not issued the ticket, and our coach could have handled this in private.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I never have done what Hughes did. I am sure I have driven above the allowed BAC but at the same time, your #1 is what I am saying. You deal with it.

AgDawg

May 24, 2006
Yes the car is very concerning. Lawyers can take care of the DUI. Hopefully somebody can do some investigating and prove that it belongs to his moma or something cause this smells like a guy was given a nice car to pimp around in for the semester. All it takes is one bad apple and the NCAA will be camping out in our backyard again.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
He had an EXPIRED TAG. You know what?.. Four months ago in Starkville I was pulled over in a vehicle I rarely drive for an expired tag. Was it profiling when all the officer behind me had to do was look at my tag to determine I was breaking the law? Yeah, man... it's the cop's fault.

Look, I'm not saying Hughes is the devil though I hope he learns a lesson from this. But let's not make this out to be a case of the man keeping him down.

He got a dui.. he'll miss a couple of games.. life will go on.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
about taking care of this in private. It is no secret that Croom wants our program to be "first class" as far as behavior- he's been ripped many times when an incident comes up like this, and deservedly so for his comments. But anyway, by keeping this private it would look like we are trying to cover things up. I think it helps Croom's reputation by dealing with this so that he can sell his discipline to recruits and parents, and he can point to "see how I handled this situation. We don't put up with it."

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
2 beers or 10, it doesn't matter. If you are over the legal limit you should get a DUI. I drove around Starkville a few times when I had no business doing so, and looking back now I realize just exactly how stupid I was. I could have killed soemone. If someone drives drunk and gets caught, they should pay the price. Too many people die each year from drunk driving, and you are making excuses for someone that gets a DUI.

Aug 30, 2006
.05 is ABOVE the legal limit for someone who is UNDER 21, you know, the legal drinking age. Besides, I would imagine the cop didn't think to himself, "You know, this kid smells like he has been doing shots of Nyquil, maybe I can get him on an underage DUI." My guess would be that Jamon's breath smelled like beer.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________2 beers or 10, it doesn't matter._________________________________________________
Anybody who's ever drank 10 beers knows it really does matter whether you drive after 2 beers or after 10 beers. It matters a lot. I'm not condoning DUI, but driving after drinking 2 beers is NOT DUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.