Penn State Media Day is today; Find updates here

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Does winning title allow Brooks to change his approach? "Not really. I look at it the same way. I want to reach my goals. I want to go out there and hunt for my goals and achieve the things I want to achieve. To say that last year and this year are all for the same thing, it's [not]. I'm excited for the opportunities this year.

Reactions: Dogwelder

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Brooks on how PSU can get more bonus points: "I think that's one thing we're trying to focus on this year, bonus points on top and transitoning from takedowns to back points. I think this is the most talented team Penn State has ever had, but when you get back points, it makes your job easier. When bonus points are there, you want to take them. It pays off in the long run."

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Brooks on being a leader: "I think our team is really hungry, just with everything, the pandemic, last year's results, our team has been working hard. Seeing the work these guys are putting in is really motivating for me. I try to lead by example. We're blessed to be able to come do this, so for me as a leader, I think for me, my actions, coming in with a smile, and being myself, I'd say that way. If guys need me, they can reach out. I just want to be that guy on the team."

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Brooks on not viewing this year as a repeat: Every year offers a different opportunity. For me, my perspective, there's new opponents every year, and it's a new season and a new group of guys we're trying to get it done with. Doing it with a new group of guys is always exciting. I think it offers a new aspect in everything.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Brooks says guys have goals out of NCAA wrestling, like one day winning at the Olympics. Achieving higher things keeps him motivated.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Brooks on new guys: Max [Dean] is an interesting kid. Hosts team BBQs. Has made guys better. He comes from Cornell, so he brings a whole different midnset and views. It's been huge for a lot of guys. Excited we have him. Same with the freshmen. Closest group of freshmen we've had. It's cool to see them interact and stay after practice for extra work. It can be hard to come in and set the tone, and they did."

On national duals: I've never been able to do stuff like that. My college career has been different. I didn't get to wrestle in the non-conference duals [as a freshman], and last year was all conference wrestling, so I'm looking forward to that."

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Brooks on Facundo: He's a phenomenal young wrestler, and if you do something to him once, it's going to be hard to do it again. He catches on and evolves quick. He's really smart and his wrestling IQ is what makes the biggest difference. It's a great advantage for him. In my opinion, he can be a four-time NCAA champion.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Brooks on NIL: "It's new, it seems promising, for me, myself, I haven't really put too much time into it. I'd rather focus on the wrestling. My father has worked on some stuff. I'm patient on that. I want to reach my goals and see where that goes."

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Moving onto Starocci on Facundo: He has a lot of potential, and I see a lot of me in him. He really wants to achieve all of his goals and he's in the room constantly.I believe he will be a national champ.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Starocci on lessons he's taken from last year to this year: Last year was a great learning experience. I wanted to go undefeated, as I know I am better than everybody, but that's just apart of life. You get up, you learn, and you improve, and you carry on your journey. I got to make sure I'm ready on [big days], and when those come, take everybody out.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Starocci on the team: "I think our team is better than it's ever been. When you walk in that room, it's almost like a weird vibe if you aren't focus on a goal. For me, I'm focused on being the best version of myself, and everyone has the same energy that they bring. Training has been really good, and we're ready to go."

Starocci on leadership: I work hard, I help guys, if they ask a question, I'm always there, and I ask those guys questions. I lead by putting the work in. I don't have too much to say, I don't have all the answers, I'm just trying to improve every day. I don't believe in a term like self-made or something like that. It's a team thing and we're all in it together, and every person we have on staff is the best"

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Starocci on what he's done to improve and deal with a loaded 174-pound class: "It was a good offseason. I was out in Toyko with Franklin Gomez and coaching with team Puerto Rico, and I got to learn from those guys, and when we go to Toyko, I was with Team USA, in the village, so I was writing notes and visualizing every step of the way. I've also been doing my own training camp and focusing on my mind and just being free when I wrestle. I want to win really bad, but focus on having fun, because having fun will lead to wrestling free, and when you wrestle free, that's when you'll dominate guys. I put in all the work that is needed."

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Starocci: "Us getting four champs last year kind of put some energy in. Guys on this team kind of believe a little more, and believe we're the best, and believe we're going to win. I feel our team is really good, and we're going to get a lot better. We have a very young team, a lot of solid freshmen, and we're going to keep getting better every single day."

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Starocci on NIL: "It's very important, and it's actually a lot of work. I think it's good and important but I kind of build my brand on my beliefs and who I am as a person and how I wrestle. I have a few deals right now but it's nothing crazy. I'm in this to be the best version and best athlete. I'm not in it for anything else, so I'm taking care of my athletic side first and then that side second."

ClarkstonMark

Oct 12, 2021
Cael on going to Florida and if PSU and Iowa can meet up in that event: I don't think so. The criteria was, the point isn't to wrestle your conference meet prior to your conference meet. It was to setup some marquee dual meets with non-traditional opponents and to have a great event and see how it goes. I don't think we're wresting anyone in our conference. I think the first criteria was they're going to separate teams in the same conference, and if you're wrestling a team at any other time, they're going to separate them. So, you have pods or pools, and then the winners are going to wrestle. I think we're looking at three matches. We're going to have good matches. It's going to be fun. We're excited about it.
OK, can someome explain what is going to happen in Florida, or at least who some of the duals might be against?

86PSUPaul

Oct 11, 2021
Ahh, our old “buddy” Ban Basketball with his normal forum interaction, that guy could argue with a wooden indian.
The field needs to be updated, it doesn’t list Penn State, did someone else drop out.
And it says the pools will be seeded to eliminate conference matchups, but what do they do day two if PSU and Iowa are the pool winners?

• Haha
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

nerfstate

Oct 11, 2021
Ahh, our old “buddy” Ban Basketball with his normal forum interaction, that guy could argue with a wooden indian.
The field needs to be updated, it doesn’t list Penn State, did someone else drop out.
And it says the pools will be seeded to eliminate conference matchups, but what do they do day two if PSU and Iowa are the pool winners?
i
It sounded like Cael really doesn’t want to meet Iowa before the conference dual. Boy, wouldn’t everybody hate it if he sits the starters on day 2 or something?

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Oct 29, 2021
On the other forum (the other PSU forum), it was said that the organizers agreed that teams that are scheduled to face each other in the dual season will not face each other in this tournament. So, when PSU and Iowa win their respective pools, they'll likely face other pool winners in the semi-finals, then the final will not be wrestled (assuming PSU and Iowa win their semis). It would be a shame if either team threw a match by running out their non-A team so as to avoid such a situation.

And Michigan dropped out, to be replaced by PSU. So Cael can't have been *too* against this tourney.

Reactions: backdrft76

backdrft76

Oct 11, 2021
If I paid to attend or watch the event and they didn't wrestle their A teams or the Final Dual, I think I'd be slightly irritated.

Reactions: 82bordeaux

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
On the other forum (the other PSU forum), it was said that the organizers agreed that teams that are scheduled to face each other in the dual season will not face each other in this tournament. So, when PSU and Iowa win their respective pools, they'll likely face other pool winners in the semi-finals, then the final will not be wrestled (assuming PSU and Iowa win their semis). It would be a shame if either team threw a match by running out their non-A team so as to avoid such a situation.

And Michigan dropped out, to be replaced by PSU. So Cael can't have been *too* against this tourney.

hey now, give @GregPickel some credit. Here's what he posted during CS's media appearance on Monday:

86PSUPaul

Oct 11, 2021

I read a write up from PSU wrestling (I think) that said it wasn't just conference duals but also regular season, included Lehigh and Oregon State.

Reactions: Hlstone

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I read a write up from PSU wrestling (I think) that said it wasn't just conference duals but also regular season, included Lehigh and Oregon State.
That's how Cael explained it at media day Monday.

86PSUPaul

Oct 11, 2021
That's how Cael explained it at media day Monday.
But what happens day two if we are pool a champs and Iowa is pool b with lehigh in second and Oregon state in third, we wrestle the 4th place pool b and are crowned co-champs?

i know that is an extreme scenario, but just wondering

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
But what happens day two if we are pool a champs and Iowa is pool b with lehigh in second and Oregon state in third, we wrestle the 4th place pool b and are crowned co-champs?

Lehigh just lost to Campbell. They might go 1-1 in their pool but they're not winning it.

Likewise Oregon State, improved program but not winning their pool.

86PSUPaul

Oct 11, 2021
Lehigh just lost to Campbell. They might go 1-1 in their pool but they're not winning it.

Likewise Oregon State, improved program but not winning their pool.
Did you read the last sentence of my post? I said it was an extreme example for illustrative purposes. I know it is not likely, but you did not answer what if it did happen.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021

I'd have to try to get in touch with event organizers to give you a confirmed answer, but from everything I've heard and read, they're going to do everything they can to not recreate matchups already on the schedule. So, I would think your scenario is correct, unless they just decide to forget about that and wrestle it anyway.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Did you read the last sentence of my post? I said it was an extreme example for illustrative purposes. I know it is not likely, but you did not answer what if it did happen.
I know, but it's kinda like asking what would happen if gravity on Earth reversed itself.

86PSUPaul

Oct 11, 2021
I know, but it's kinda like asking what would happen if gravity on Earth reversed itself.
I do not think it is quite that extreme. Who thought we would lose in football to Illinois? There needs to be a scenario for the possibility because there is a reason we still play the games (or meets as it is), upsets can happen. In my scenario, though unlikely, it would be not be a very good matchup to have the championship round between a first and 4th place pool winner. But I also do not know if I want to have to match up against Iowa wrestlers 4 times in a season, but then I guess why not? Worth discussing... that is what I was getting at, which is better, multiple Iowa PSU matchup's or 1 versus 4? Do multiple matchups favor our guys?

APSPSUwrestlingfan

Oct 30, 2021
I do not think it is quite that extreme. Who thought we would lose in football to Illinois? There needs to be a scenario for the possibility because there is a reason we still play the games (or meets as it is), upsets can happen. In my scenario, though unlikely, it would be not be a very good matchup to have the championship round between a first and 4th place pool winner. But I also do not know if I want to have to match up against Iowa wrestlers 4 times in a season, but then I guess why not? Worth discussing... that is what I was getting at, which is better, multiple Iowa PSU matchup's or 1 versus 4? Do multiple matchups favor our guys?
The more you wrestle top competition early, the more successfully you can adjust later. Cael has a plan and our wrestlers benefit from great coaching.

nerfstate

Oct 11, 2021
The more you wrestle top competition early, the more successfully you can adjust later. Cael has a plan and our wrestlers benefit from great coaching.
Also for most guys on the team, the most toppiest competition they can find anywhere is right in the practice room.