Thanks to all of you who made the move! Now, how can I best serve you?

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Good morning everyone,

Happy Thursday! Thanks to all of you who have made the move over this week. We're thrilled you are here, and I am beyond excited to follow this year's season with you.

For those of you who do not know me or didn't get the chance to read my intro on the old board back in July, I covered Penn State wrestling while in college from 2011-2015, but have focused more on football and recruiting since. I'll still do that but will also return to covering the wrestling now, starting with team media day next week. We have Journeymen Duals right around the corner, of course, and before long, the home opener against Army will be here.

I learned a great deal about this team, program, and sport from Tim Owen, who I always looked up to as a student reporter. I cannot replace Tim nor match his incredible knowledge, but I hope to be in the ballpark for you all. I'd be remiss not to mention Tom's tremendous work, input, and knowledge as well (I think I "knew" him from following his wrestling posts before any of the other BWI guys), in addition to so many of the insiders and experts who also post here. You all are the best. Guys like Jim Carlson, Andy Elder, Travis Johnson, and others helped me figure out this crazy sport we all love along the way, too, so wanted to give them a shoutout in this space.

Looking ahead, what kind of things would you all like to read? What information is a must? Are there any stories you've seen in the past elsewhere that you're not interested in? How would you like to see matches and tournaments covered? I have plenty of ideas, but I also want to tailor things to what YOU all want.

Finally, I'll make a quick promo and remind everyone of our current subscription deal, which is $1 for an entire year. It'll be around a bit, and this is obviously a free board, but if you want to see what the premium side of things is all about, you won't find a better deal on the Internet for a 365-day test run. Click here to learn more.

With that, let's talk wrestling, any comments or questions you have about the board, or whatever else is on your mind! I'll be in and out throughout the morning, afternoon, and evening, but feel free to tag me with an @ if you have any urgent question or need.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to the conversation beginning.

ClarkstonMark

Oct 12, 2021
If you could get a one on one with Cael, that would be awesome. And if you do, maybe solicit some questions from the board.
Good luck with this

Reactions: Tryingtodoitright

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
If you could get a one on one with Cael, that would be awesome. And if you do, maybe solicit some questions from the board.
Good luck with this
Morning!

I'd love nothing more, and Cael probably nothing left. Ha. But, if you have things you'd like to know when he speaks next Monday, leave 'em here!

mcnulty6310

Oct 8, 2021
With Iowa beginning a women’s program, is their any talk of one at Penn State for the future?

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
With Iowa beginning a women’s program, is their any talk of one at Penn State for the future?
There has not been any movement on that front that I have heard about.

Think the Hawkeyes have like 22 or 23 varsity sports. PSU has 31. I'm really not sure it could take on another, but don't get me wrong, I'd love to see women's wrestling added.

Reactions: mcnulty6310

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Morning!

I'd love nothing more, and Cael probably nothing left. Ha. But, if you have things you'd like to know when he speaks next Monday, leave 'em here!
Simple ask, have no idea if it’s reasonable. Lots of well informed guys over here follow all the action including NLWC and National/ International tournaments. Often times you have to surf through multiple page threads to try to glean what you can from these events.

If someone could provide a consolidated review when something big is going on with any available Twitter verse video of takedowns, pins, etc. hat would be great.

Reactions: BMW199

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Simple ask, have no idea if it’s reasonable. Lots of well informed guys over here follow all the action including NLWC and National/ International tournaments. Often times you have to surf through multiple page threads to try to glean what you can from these events.

If someone could provide a consolidated review when something big is going on with any available Twitter verse video of takedowns, pins, etc. hat would be great.
Received a few PMs about this during the Olympics, so yep, it's on the radar.

nerfstate

Oct 11, 2021
Thanks for asking Greg!

One is a board-setup request that I've already brought Tom's eyes to: I just fear for the success of this board if messages are hidden behind a login. I think our community isn't of sufficient size where that makes any sense, so I'd vote to make this board crawlable by search engines, and fully visible to anonymous users. TIFWIW.

I like the idea of special event recaps, especially with multimedia. Black Shoe Diaries do these sometimes, but agree that for Freestyle events specifically, it may be good to have a "here's what you missed" section or something--I see this community's primary function is to drive engagement in the sport/team(s) we love--and this would be a good tool to turn the casual folkstyle fan into a freestyle lover too (I still contend there is no reason you can't engage with, and love both).

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Thanks for asking Greg!

One is a board-setup request that I've already brought Tom's eyes to: I just fear for the success of this board if messages are hidden behind a login. I think our community isn't of sufficient size where that makes any sense, so I'd vote to make this board crawlable by search engines, and fully visible to anonymous users. TIFWIW.

I like the idea of special event recaps, especially with multimedia. Black Shoe Diaries do these sometimes, but agree that for Freestyle events specifically, it may be good to have a "here's what you missed" section or something--I see this community's primary function is to drive engagement in the sport/team(s) we love--and this would be a good tool to turn the casual folkstyle fan into a freestyle lover too (I still contend there is no reason you can't engage with, and love both).
Thanks for the feedback!

On point one, I honestly don't know if that's a possibility at this point in time. As Tom mentioned in another thread either here or on his board, we're still learning some of the ropes here and improvements and new functions and features are constantly being implemented. So, let us look into that.

On point to, definitely thing that's both a great idea and accomplishable.

Reactions: nerfstate

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
Good morning everyone,

Happy Thursday! Thanks to all of you who have made the move over this week. We're thrilled you are here, and I am beyond excited to follow this year's season with you.

For those of you who do not know me or didn't get the chance to read my intro on the old board back in July, I covered Penn State wrestling while in college from 2011-2015, but have focused more on football and recruiting since. I'll still do that but will also return to covering the wrestling now, starting with team media day next week. We have Journeymen Duals right around the corner, of course, and before long, the home opener against Army will be here.

I learned a great deal about this team, program, and sport from Tim Owen, who I always looked up to as a student reporter. I cannot replace Tim nor match his incredible knowledge, but I hope to be in the ballpark for you all. I'd be remiss not to mention Tom's tremendous work, input, and knowledge as well (I think I "knew" him from following his wrestling posts before any of the other BWI guys), in addition to so many of the insiders and experts who also post here. You all are the best. Guys like Jim Carlson, Andy Elder, Travis Johnson, and others helped me figure out this crazy sport we all love along the way, too, so wanted to give them a shoutout in this space.

Looking ahead, what kind of things would you all like to read? What information is a must? Are there any stories you've seen in the past elsewhere that you're not interested in? How would you like to see matches and tournaments covered? I have plenty of ideas, but I also want to tailor things to what YOU all want.

Finally, I'll make a quick promo and remind everyone of our current subscription deal, which is $1 for an entire year. It'll be around a bit, and this is obviously a free board, but if you want to see what the premium side of things is all about, you won't find a better deal on the Internet for a 365-day test run. Click here to learn more.

With that, let's talk wrestling, any comments or questions you have about the board, or whatever else is on your mind! I'll be in and out throughout the morning, afternoon, and evening, but feel free to tag me with an @ if you have any urgent question or need.

A question I'd love to have answered by Cael is a simple question. Oftentimes a PSU wrestler while riding or in control will cut loose a wrestler from bottom position. Why do we see so few heel trips- to right back to the mat? I understand the desire to 'take them down and let them up', but sometimes there's little time on the clock.

I agree with the login need as stated above, it's cumbersome. I still work and do check the boards (four or five) on a regular basis but the few extra steps taken to login here - well sometimes this is not my first board to go to.

Excited for the season to start - and thanks for asking the questions! Great start for this board!

Reactions: GregPickel

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
A question I'd love to have answered by Cael is a simple question. Oftentimes a PSU wrestler while riding or in control will cut loose a wrestler from bottom position. Why do we see so few heel trips- to right back to the mat? I understand the desire to 'take them down and let them up', but sometimes there's little time on the clock.

I agree with the login need as stated above, it's cumbersome. I still work and do check the boards (four or five) on a regular basis but the few extra steps taken to login here - well sometimes this is not my first board to go to.

Excited for the season to start - and thanks for asking the questions! Great start for this board!
One other note. I LOVE whatever the feature is that when you open a thread takes you right to the next Unread comment. Saves lots of time wading through posts. Signed Caveman.

JA1339

Oct 11, 2021
Hi Greg I’d love to hear any update or intel on whether Bartlett or Van Ness are looking to go at 149, or if one or both are planning on redshirting. I’ve heard some speculation that Beau may redshirt, but any update would be appreciated. Thanks

Reactions: Therealbige

SW Fla Lion

Oct 20, 2021
@GregPickel Because you asked - once in awhile I visit the HR board and one of their better features is posting results of multiple matches, especially all B1G matches. It is good information to see how folks are matching up leading to conference and national championships. I would prefer not to have to go to that corn-fed, always calling stalling on opponents, whinny, booing injured players fans if I don't have to. Please help us avoid that mess.

Reactions: NittanyChris

Tim Kishbach

Oct 31, 2021
Good morning everyone,

1. Confirm or deny the rumor that this is Cael's last year (moving to head coach of USA Wrestling due to Kevin Jackson being fired) due to PSU administration requiring vaccinations? Or some other reason(s)?
2. Did the administration prevent Evan Wick's transfer to PSU due to academic credits not being accepted?
3. Starting lineup questions - 125: Howard redshirting for sure? Suriano transferring back? Hildebrandt transferring in?; 133 - how did RBY heal from off season medical issues, is he ready to go?; 141 - Nick Lee staying at 141 or Bartlett going at 141 and Lee moving up to 149?; 149 - projected starter Lee, Bartlett or Van Ness?; 157 - projected starter Joe Lee or someone else?; 165 - projected starter Facundo or someone else?; 197 - projected starter Beard or Dean?; 285 - is Nevills coming back? who backs up Kerkvliet? Are all projected starters currently healthy and ready to go?
4. Any younger guys doing well with a chance to crack the starting lineup?
5. Recruiting - comments on Ohio State getting #1, #2 and #3 recruits in the country for 2022 - is PSU recruiting lagging, scholarship $$ not available, did not go hard after those guys for some reason? Any other recruits likely to commit to PSU (not necessarily specific names) just yes more are likely or no we are done with this class. If done with this class, what is the most urgent holes to fill with the next class?
6. What were the factors that ultimately led to accepting a spot in the Niceville, FL dual event? Will PSU be selling tickets to this event or do they have to be purchased somewhere else?
7. Will the NLWC or any other Rokfin channel be able to show any PSU wrestling events not picked up by other broadcasters?

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021

Good deal, I'll add that to the notebook page of questions to ask! Appreciate it.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Hi Greg I’d love to hear any update or intel on whether Bartlett or Van Ness are looking to go at 149, or if one or both are planning on redshirting. I’ve heard some speculation that Beau may redshirt, but any update would be appreciated. Thanks
At the top of my 'things to get confirmed' list. Hoping to by the weekend, but I will note that team media day is Monday morning, so we're going to have tons of info then.

Reactions: JA1339

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
1. Confirm or deny the rumor that this is Cael's last year (moving to head coach of USA Wrestling due to Kevin Jackson being fired) due to PSU administration requiring vaccinations? Or some other reason(s)?
2. Did the administration prevent Evan Wick's transfer to PSU due to academic credits not being accepted?
3. Starting lineup questions - 125: Howard redshirting for sure? Suriano transferring back? Hildebrandt transferring in?; 133 - how did RBY heal from off season medical issues, is he ready to go?; 141 - Nick Lee staying at 141 or Bartlett going at 141 and Lee moving up to 149?; 149 - projected starter Lee, Bartlett or Van Ness?; 157 - projected starter Joe Lee or someone else?; 165 - projected starter Facundo or someone else?; 197 - projected starter Beard or Dean?; 285 - is Nevills coming back? who backs up Kerkvliet? Are all projected starters currently healthy and ready to go?
5. Recruiting - comments on Ohio State getting #1, #2 and #3 recruits in the country for 2022 - is PSU recruiting lagging, scholarship $$ not available, did not go hard after those guys for some reason? Any other recruits likely to commit to PSU (not necessarily specific names) just yes more are likely or no we are done with this class. If done with this class, what is the most urgent holes to fill with the next class?
6. What were the factors that ultimately led to accepting a spot in the Niceville, FL dual event? Will PSU be selling tickets to this event or do they have to be purchased somewhere else?
7. Will the NLWC or any other Rokfin channel be able to show any PSU wrestling events not picked up by other broadcasters?
Tim, I should just send you to team media day on Monday! Ha. Great list, and mostly ones I had jotted down, but No. 5 is a good one I hadn't put too much thought into. Will see what I can find out. Thanks!

centaur94

Nov 1, 2021
I don’t know if your interested, but I wonder what happened to some wrestlers after graduation? Where are they now type info. How has wrestling shaped their lives?

Reactions: BWFight

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I don’t know if your interested, but I wonder what happened to some wrestlers after graduation? Where are they now type info. How has wrestling shaped their lives?
Would be tough to track that down while juggling football and wrestling but it is 100 percent a plan for the winter once football wraps. Thanks for the idea!

Reactions: Hlstone

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
I already asked each of these questions of Cael, and amazingly, he had the same answer to each one. “We’re just gonna be grateful every single day, score points, and have fun, no matter who we put out there.”

a_mshaffer

Oct 13, 2021
I simply like 'inside info' or a look at the team. I admire the sacrifice and talent these young men have. I find it interesting to learn about them and how Cael runs his program.

CropDuster507

Oct 31, 2021
a weekly column called “who’d win in a fight” with various fantasy street fights broken down. Who’d win between Bo Nickal and Ed Ruth? A Snickers vs Whatchamacalit? Tortoise vs the Hare?

the people love violence. Feed our fantasies… “Who’d Win in a Fight?”

I won’t even charge for that free IP.

nerfstate

Oct 11, 2021
One question Cael doesn’t seem to mind answering that is also good fan service is: “Who has been putting in extra work and/or jumped levels since last season? Who will surprise us?”

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
One question Cael doesn’t seem to mind answering that is also good fan service is: “Who has been putting in extra work and/or jumped levels since last season? Who will surprise us?”
You got it! Good one.

Used2beerie

Oct 11, 2021
Hula hoop girl gifs. TIA
sexy girl GIF

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Make the print just a tad bigger.
If you click your profile in the top right hand corner on desktop or if you click the three little lines in the top left hand corner on mobile, select settings or preferences depending on device, and then you’ll see the option to change font size.

RGlen

Oct 13, 2021
Gla
Good morning everyone,

Good morning everyone,

Glad you ask:
1. While the spread sheet is good information, would like more info on potential targets. Much as the football info on targets and I do understand the obstacles to get info.
2. while insiders subscribe to sites that give info on recruit info, I am not that deep into background info. So info on top wrestlers at each weight and specifically the top P4P recruits.
3. the Penn State supplied info on the next match is great, but pin it until that match is over vs having to scroll to find it
4. continue the live summary of matches - but limit the unnecessary comments during the match

Reactions: backdrft76

Cali_Nittany

Oct 11, 2021
If you click your profile in the top right hand corner on desktop or if you click the three little lines in the top left hand corner on mobile, select settings or preferences depending on device, and then you’ll see the option to change font size.

I apologize for myself, @amattaro , and @Used2beerie for hijacking this thread. U do good work Greg.

btw,

Latest posts