baseball facts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006
All this talk about Bianco and OM baseball passing State..some fact.

Since Bianco took over.

NCAAs: State 6 OM 6
Supers: State 2 OM 3
CWS: State 1 OM 0

Some say our CWS appearance was a matter of circumstance and luck with the top national seed in our bracket falling. However, when the nearly same scenario happened for the Rebs in 2006 with Nebraska falling and hosting a non-national seed, they failed to advance. Also, the Rebs failed to advance in 2005 when hosting a non-national seed and they were the #5 national seed.

I would hardly say a program that had nearly the exact same scenario as we did, TWICE, and failed to capitalize has passed us by. State deserves some credit for last year.

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006

Since Bianco took over.

Some say our CWS appearance was a matter of circumstance and luck with the top national seed in our bracket falling. However, when the nearly same scenario happened for the Rebs in 2006 with Nebraska falling and hosting a non-national seed, they failed to advance. Also, the Rebs failed to advance in 2005 when hosting a non-national seed and they were the #5 national seed.

I would hardly say a program that had nearly the exact same scenario as we did, TWICE, and failed to capitalize has passed us by. State deserves some credit for last year.

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006

Since Bianco took over.

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006

Since Bianco took over.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Over the last 5 years and looking towards the future, who's program would you rather have?

This is a no brainer for me.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
And I think that's the point that everyone was making. If you could switch Bianco, our current team, and the direction of his program for Polk, your current team, and the direction of his program, you would.

One stat you forgot to add is we've hosted regionals each of the past 4 years, and your last regional host was 5 years ago.

We've failed to get over that final hump, but if you ask me, that's purely chance that's kept us from getting to Omaha and making a run. In a short series, anything can and will happen. The fact remains that Bianco for the 5th year in a row though is putting a team on the field that's good enough to not only get to Omaha but possibly do some damage when we get there. It remains to be seen if it'll work out for us, but as long as he keeps fielding good enough teams and knocking on the door, we'll eventually break through and do some damage.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________State deserves some credit for last year._________________________________________________
True. But Polk deserves no credit for McMahon's super regional in 2001. So change your super regionals to 3 for UM and 1 for MSU since Polk took over.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
didn't see that coming from you.

The funny thing is that if you polled state fans with this question, you'd probably get about a 50/50 split because of you Paperdogs and Hubdogs.

If you posed this question to ole miss fans, I doubt a single one of them would rather have our program over the last 5 years and looking forward.

MadDawg.sixpack

May 22, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________If you posed this question to ole miss fans, I doubt a single one of them would rather have our program over the last 5 years and looking forward._________________________________________________

And if you asked ole miss fans about the basketball program, they would all believe like the average sixpacker that AK is ten times the coach of Stansbury, so not a single one there either. And if you asked about football, they are all convinced Nutt is the saviour, so no takers there either. So what does all this mean? Is whether ole miss would trade positions with us the only measiring stick? You know, this just furthers my belief that the biggest problem Polk has had is that ole miss is good now.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Quote:_________________________________________________You know, this just furthers my belief that the biggest problem Polk has had is that ole miss is good now. _________________________________________________

We haven't hosted a regional since 2003 and you think Polk's problem is ole miss's success. I have heard it all now.

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
I'd rather have OM's team. This year.

Looking forward? I don't know. Polk won't be here too much longer. 3 years tops. I know to some of you that may be 3 years too long, but looking forward, I think we have the ability to attract almost any coach in the country to come and take over the program. Will we do it? Who knows, but I do think we have that ability. Once we get someone in here to recruit again, we most certainly can have the potential to be a perennial Top 10 team again. The future isn't as dim as most here believe it to be.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________this just furthers my belief that the biggest problem Polk has had is that ole miss is good now. _________________________________________________
No, the biggest problem Polk has is that he has only 1 regional title and has hosted only 1 regional in the 6 years since he returned. Whether Mississippi is good or sucks, 1 regional host and 1 regional title in 6 years at MSU just isn't getting the job done.

Seshomoru

Apr 24, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________nearly the exact same scenario as we did_________________________________________________

You cherry picked that ****. They've hosted Supers on merit. We have hosted one by way of another team's upset. We also LTed our way in one year when we DIDN'T EVEN MAKE IT TO BIRMINGHAM.

Either way, a four page thread arguing some pointless objective point of view on who has the best program just got locked. So what makes you think we need another one? Especially one that didn't even lay out good facts to begin with? I'm about leave for the Jewel anyway, so since I won't have to relive the entire argument aGAIN, I'll let it go.

<span style="font-size:x-large;">The point is that MSU baseball isn't as good as MSU baseball used to be.</span>

TheCosmoKramer

Feb 25, 2008
saying that MSU baseball isn't as good as MSU baseball used to be and saying that Ole Miss' baseball program has passed MSU's baseball program.

The first should be obvious. The second is still open to debate.

SoxFan343

Feb 25, 2008
when Bianco seemed to turn the preverbial "corner", hes 13-5 against State.

Bianco has been figuring out ways to get more kids into school while Polk has been sitting around bitching to the NCAA.

Bianco recruits harder than Polk does. Bianco works harder than Polk does. Is he as good of a pure baseball coach? I don't think so.

I honestly believe the difference in our programs is the attitude of the coaches. If Polk wanted to work his butt off and recruit and find creative ways to get kids into school, then he could. Hes smart enough, and he is a good enough coach. He just does not do it.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________Whether Mississippi is good or sucks, 1 regional host and 1 regional title in 6 years at MSU just isn't getting the job done._________________________________________________

Now I agree with that especially since a regional host these days only means you have to be a Top 16 team, not Top 8. There is no reason MSU baseball shouldn't finish in the Top 16 at least every other year. Whether some of these guys want to admit it or not, I'm with those saying that MSU's baseball program is not living up to expectations since Polk's return.

MadDawg.sixpack

May 22, 2006
and it was probably my fault for stating it wrong.

Quote:_________________________________________________you think Polk's problem is ole miss's success_________________________________________________

That's not what I think. That's what I think is the average Polk-bashers mentality.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________The second is still open to debate_________________________________________________
Only to MSU baseball homers. Anyone who looks at things objectively will see that OM has hosted 4 straight regionals, has made it to 3 super regionals, and has hosted 2 super regionls in the last 4 years while State has hosted 0 regionals, made it to 1 super regional, and hosted 1 super regional during that same time period. Honestly, tell me which is the better program. Tell me which program will likely reach the CWS first moving forward.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I dont' really care what ole miss does,which is good b/c they will eventually get to Omaha and then they will keep doing it...and eventually they will win it all as long as Bianco is there.

I've thought we sucked for a long time. When trying to convey this to people in disbelief of our mediocrity, it is often easier to make the ole miss comparison to illustrate. However, I see some are undeterred and would rather forget most of the last 6 years and focus on 2 weeks of great baseball.

dawgdr

Feb 27, 2008
As a lifelong state fan would want him to go to state, but as a father out for his best interest, where would he have the best chance to go to CWS, unfortunately the answer is easy and not the one I wish it were.

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006
So, what is the goal for a college baseball program? To host tournaments or win them? If it is just to host them, then Hotty Toddy.

You said yourself State's visit to Omaha was a "fluke". OM has been in the same situation twice and have yet to fluke their way to Omaha. If they had a better program, you would think they could capitalize on those situations. However, the program that is way behind the Rebs found a way.

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006
State.

We have sustained and nearly equaled their success during with what most of you are characterizing as a low point in the program. Our potential is much greater than theirs based on the past.

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
what the hell are you talking about? We were there, at the COLLEGE WORLD SERIES, just last year. LAST FREAKING YEAR! They haven't been in over 25 years.

If your son was a top recruit, and you're a life-long State fan, you send him to OM because they have a better shot at making the CWS? I don't know what to say about that.

May 24, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________If they had a better program, you would think they could capitalize on those situations. However, the program that is way behind the Rebs found a way._________________________________________________

"That's baseball."

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
you are dead set on thinking our program is in as good of shape as theirs is.

but at least get facts straight, since Polk's return, we have been to one CWS. That's our best accomplishment. And let's remember what Bianco took over vs. what Bianco took over.

Since his return, ole miss has been to 3 supers. They will host their 5th regional in a row this year. And yes, Hosting is huge for 2 reasons. It makes it easier to get to Supers and it also is a barometer for what kind of team you field in a given year.

But again, I get it, you feel very good about where Polk has us headed.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Who went to the CWS last year isn't the question he's asking. He's asking who is more likely to go this year, and next year, and the year after. Damn! We finish 1 game ahead of the Rebels last postseason and half our fans are about to piss their pants and completely forget the previous 5 years they're so happy.

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
I'm not fecking happy about our current situation. Nor am I happy that the Rebs have a better program than us currently. See, I admit it. Right now, expectations are higher up in Oxford. But, to pose the hypothetical question that dawgdr did, is just stupid after we went to the CWS 8 months ago. If my son was a top recruit, and I was a life-long State fan, he'd be going to State. End of discussion. The CWS is guaranteed to no one and college is all about the experience. The opportunity to play in front of 11-12K rabid, but knowledgeable fans at Dudy Noble would be something to cherish. And, you just might get to the CWS as well.

rebel law

Jun 4, 2007
in the other thread about OM's expectations now being to get to Omaha that you found laughable is very valid. We are ranked in the top 5 in every poll and every major publication has us as a favorite to get to Omaha. So according to you for us to expect to get there is laughable because we haven't been in 25 years? Is it laughable for UT to expect to get to the elite 8 this year? They are ranked in the top 5 in every poll just like we are in baseball. I don't think expecting to be in the top 8 at the end of the year for them is laughable. There is no question who has the better baseball program of the two teams. But I would argue that our program, having won the most games in the SEC over the last 4 years, going 13-5 vs MSU over that time, hosting 4 regionals, going to 3 supers, hosting 2 of them, and undergoing a major stadium renovation is on better ground than MSU's right now. 2 weeks of great baseball by the dogs last year to play their way into Omaha doesn't outweigh 4 years of great baseball in my opinion.

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
When you start going to the CWS every other year or so, then I can see where you'd expect to go to the CWS every other year or so. And, yes, I would feel pretty damn wooly too about going this year with a top 5 team in February. But, if I put State in your shoes, I would start expecting to host Regionals and Super Regionals and choke. Because that's what you've done. And that's what I'd come to expect.

MSUBully1

Feb 27, 2008
Purely Chance you didn't make it to Omaha? Surely, Oh Surely you can come up with a better excuse than that.

It was not by chance. It was one team whipping up on another.

dawgdr

Feb 27, 2008
If you weren't a state or ole miss fan and your son was trying to choose, what then?
If you say state you just aren't being objective. I hate it as much as anyone, but it is just the truth.

windcrysmary

Nov 11, 2007
college baseball success should always be determined by getting to omaha...

we won that battle last year over ole miss... if you don't think that was luck, you don't know baseball...

ole miss has still done better than MSU overall since bianco.. and it is because they have a better coach AND recruiter...

having ole miss, based on their prior record before bianco, surpass a college baseball power like MSU should NEVER be acceptatble...

we have a lazy has been at the the helm... I love what he has done for us but the time has come for him to move along

ole miss has NO bidness competing with us in baseball...case closed

rebel law

Jun 4, 2007
Is expecting to host regionals and super regionals every year not better than expecting to get shipped out for a regional every year? I would guarantee you that if you asked every single SEC baseball coach who the top 3 programs in the SEC are right now, every single one of them would name OM. I doubt any would name MSU. I will now go to all the Kansas message boards and tell them they shouldn't expect to make it far in the NCAA tourney this year because their past teams choked.

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________Since his return, ole miss has been to 3 supers. They will host their 5th regional in a row this year. _________________________________________________

...and if State had hosted 5 times and been to 3 supers under Polk, you mfers would be asking for his head for not making the CWS.

Quote:_________________________________________________you feel very good about where Polk has us headed._________________________________________________

Nothing in my original post was about Polk or where we are headed. However, I imagine all these things that are being said now, (3 straight, hosting, blah, blah) was said last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.