Baseball stats that make you wonder how we won much at all

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
I was looking at season stats for this baseball team this year and see the following:

BATTING
For the full season we had 4 batter hit over 300.
For SEC season only we had one hit over 300 and one hit right at 300

PITCHING (not for faint of heart)
Full season 2 pitchers with ERA under 4
Full Season 10 pitchers with ERA over 5

For SEC season 1 pitcher with ERA under 4
10 pitchers with ERA OVER 6
(3 pitcher with ERA in 4 or 5)

That shows we do not hit well enough to win with only 1 hitting in league over 300, especially when 10 of 14 pitchers we use have ERA over 6.

This needs major work

• Wow
Reactions: 92Pony

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
IMHO, pitching is the biggest issue. Off season, we simply didn't find or develop the pitching we needed. Or... use all those arms that we do have in an effective manner.

1982cock

Jan 22, 2022
IMHO, pitching is the biggest issue. Off season, we simply didn't find or develop the pitching we needed. Or... use all those arms that we do have in an effective manner.
Pitching is a problem but hitting is no prize either. Lack of aggression- too many called strikes right down the middle. BA with RISP has to be poor also. Team has problems all the way around which to me is coaching

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Pitching is a problem but hitting is no prize either. Lack of aggression- too many called strikes right down the middle. BA with RISP has to be poor also. Team has problems all the way around which to me is coaching
Yeah if I had to guess, his analytics playbook tells him to take a BB if they can get it. So it is encouraged. Somehow that has translated in to forget about protecting the plate. Results appear to be a lot of strikeouts looking and runners LOB

yo-mans

Joined Dec 19, 2005 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 19, 2022
Yeah if I had to guess, his analytics playbook tells him to take a BB if they can get it. So it is encouraged. Somehow that has translated in to forget about protecting the plate. Results appear to be a lot of strikeouts looking and runners LOB
I think you are correct. We need to be more aggressive at the plate