Chris Jans hates Starkville so much

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
He probably finally got them to agree to pay him extra to act like he likes it in vegas.**

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Yet another example of this board taking a rumor and installing it as a truth on par with canon religious law.
Jans wants out of Starkville. He heavily pursued numerous jobs this offseason - he just didn’t get them. It’s not a rumor.

I’m thankful he’s returning though. And, I’m genuinely curious why he wants out so bad. We seem like a good fit for each other.

I think both MSU and OM will be in basketball coaching searches very soon.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
We all would have been ok with it if the Arkansas rumor never got out. That's the one that stung me the most.
Any good agent would "accidentally" let that rumor slip, whether it is true or not doesn't matter to an agent's client

patdog

May 28, 2007
We all would have been ok with it if the Arkansas rumor never got out. That's the one that stung me the most.
Meh. The Arkansas basketball job is a better job. Can’t blame a coach with no real ties here for pursuing it. I hope he continues to get consideration for better jobs, but fails to land them.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Jans wants out of Starkville. He heavily pursued numerous jobs this offseason - he just didn’t get them. It’s not a rumor.

I’m thankful he’s returning though. And, I’m genuinely curious why he wants out so bad. We seem like a good fit for each other.

Agreed. He’s doesn’t seem so sure he’d get hired next season, either, since he re-signed.

We could do a lot worse than Jans. But don’t mistake that with us not being able to do better, either.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

Like I said, canon law.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Agreed. He’s doesn’t seem so sure he’d get hired next season, either, since he re-signed.

We could do a lot worse than Jans. But don’t mistake that with us not being able to do better, either.
He's already better than any coach we've had not named McCarthy, Stansbury or Williams. And he's only been here 2 years. I'd rather take my chances with him than with whoever the next coach will be (whenever that is).

Reactions: knock him out john

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
He's already better than any coach we've had not named McCarthy, Stansbury or Williams. And he's only been here 2 years. I'd rather take my chances with him than with whoever the next coach will be (whenever that is).
We have, historically, been historically bad at hiring basketball coaches. So, that’s kind of a low bar.

I don’t hate the guy. But if he wants to leave, it will not be a wrecking ball to our program in the modern era of NCAA basketball.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

Who can we realistically hire right now that’s objectively better? Name some names.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I have mixed feelings. I don’t love the idea of a coach that’s been here for 2 years slow playing an extension so that he can go interview elsewhere. However, if his salary heading into last season really was $2.4m which was basically at the bottom of the conference, I can understand that he was looking for more than a 10-15% increase. We can argue all day about what college coaches should be making, but the bottom line is that this is the cost of playing these days, and Jans has outperformed his contract so far

At the end of the day, we’re better off with Jans back than otherwise, so I guess all’s well that ends well and everyone can move forward

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
We have, historically, been historically bad at hiring basketball coaches. So, that’s kind of a low bar.

I don’t hate the guy. But if he wants to leave, it will not be a wrecking ball to our program in the modern era of NCAA basketball.
We have been historically bad at hiring basketball coaches, but if a successful coach leaves, it wont be a wrecking ball to the program in the modern NCAA Basketball era?

WT17 does that even mean?
Do you think MSU would be fine and bounce right back because of NIL and the portal? I assume that is what you are referring to when you mention the modern era.
...but if we are historically bad at hiring good basketball coaches, why are you confident we would do well?

Reactions: patdog

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Who can we realistically hire right now that’s better than Jans? Name someone
You’re acting like I said we could go steal a sitting P5 coach or something. Any given year, there are mid major coaches that come in and kill it somewhere.

He’s made first four in, and lost. Neat. Got murdered by a mediocre Meatchicken State team after being gifted a higher seed than I would have ever expected. Coolio. Also gave us the worst loss in program history. Not neat.

Be impressed all the 17 you want with the guy, I couldn’t care less. I’ve said we could do way worse. But, WHEN he leaves, it won’t be like when Mullen left and we knew we were gonna downgrade no matter what.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
We have been historically bad at hiring basketball coaches, but if a successful coach leaves, it wont be a wrecking ball to the program in the modern NCAA Basketball era?

WT17 does that even mean?
Do you think MSU would be fine and bounce right back because of NIL and the portal? I assume that is what you are referring to when you mention the modern era.
...but if we are historically bad at hiring good basketball coaches, why are you confident we would do well?
It means you can’t 17ing decipher English, you tw@t. We have much better leadership now than we’ve had when we hired the other coaches.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
You’re acting like I said we could go steal a sitting P5 coach or something. Any given year, there are mid major coaches that come in and kill it somewhere.

He’s made first four in, and lost. Neat. Got murdered by a mediocre Meatchicken State team after being gifted a higher seed than I would have ever expected. Coolio. Also gave us the worst loss in program history. Not neat.

Be impressed all the 17 you want with the guy, I couldn’t care less. I’ve said we could do way worse. But, WHEN he leaves, it won’t be like when Mullen left and we knew we were gonna downgrade no matter what.
You cant name a single coach. Yet you said we can do better. Proves you’re just pulling stuff out of your ***.