Saw this on the pay board - What's the floor for MSU football next season regarding wins?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I guess 5 too. But the question was the floor. Minimum wins if everything goes wrong. If anyone looks at that schedule and sees a floor above 2, they just haven’t been a Mississippi State fan long enough.
You talked me out of Arkansas. I'm going with 3 as the floor though.

If Lebby loses to Toledo, EKU, or UMass, fire him.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
You talked me out of Arkansas. I'm going with 3 as the floor though.

If Lebby loses to Toledo, EKU, or UMass, fire him.
We should win at least those 3 and at Arizona St. But Toledo did win 11 games last year, and ASU is on the road. And they're both early in the season with a lot of new players and all new coaches. I don't think we'll lose either of those games. But I could see a scenario where we lose either, or both.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
A few things in this thread need to be pointed out. AZ State might be one of the worst teams in power 5 this year. We should win be 14 or more. AR didn’t up grade as significantly as some other have stated plus Pittman is Pittman and petrino didn’t light it up at AM last year. Sun belt Billy and the gators don’t worry me plus it’s at home. We seem to always play ATM well at home so I don’t see this changing. It’s still ATM.

Contrary to what some think we did upgrade through the portal. I know it’s not the cool thing to say that we actually might have gotten some good players from the portal but we did.
5 is the floor 8 is the ceiling.
So would 0-8 in the sec be unacceptable or shocking to you ?

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I was present for a large chunk of Jackie's meltdown and the misery of Croomball that followed. Believe me, we can go lower than many of you could ever imagine.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
So would 0-8 in the sec be unacceptable or shocking to you ?
Shocking if we don’t win 6. I know it’s not the cool thing to say but we have talent and are so much better coached that what we had with last year staff.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Shocking if we don’t win 6. I know it’s not the cool thing to say but we have talent and are so much better coached that what we had with last year staff.
Prepare to be shocked because the chances of beating A&M or Florida are much less than 50%. I’d say Arkansas personnel and coaching is much improved from last year.

Lebby and staff are a big coaching upgrade, agree there, but personnel is not improved over last year from a talent standpoint. you have to compare to other sec programs.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Dan had a losing record his first year, but we all could see we were a hell of a lot better team. That’s all I want.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Prepare to be shocked because the chances of beating A&M or Florida are much less than 50%. I’d say Arkansas personnel and coaching is much improved from last year.

Lebby and staff are a big coaching upgrade, agree there, but personnel is not improved over last year from a talent standpoint. you have to compare to other sec programs.
Lazy take here
This is where I disagree with you
We upgraded at QB, we up graded at OL, we upgraded at WR and TE. RB are gonna be about the same as last year.
Most of the negative around the quote “lack of talent” is based on portal hauls. I guess zero credence is givin to what we have on the roster now? We actually up graded at DL but we still need to land a corner
UF isn’t going to be good. Sun belt Billy hasn’t proven jack at UF and they come here. AR hired petrino, he didn’t set the world on fire at AM last year with arguably a better team. Also game is in Starkville. ATM wild card here but we play them well not counting 2020 and last year. I like our chance against them also at home

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Lazy take here
This is where I disagree with you
We upgraded at QB, we up graded at OL, we upgraded at WR and TE. RB are gonna be about the same as last year.
Most of the negative around the quote “lack of talent” is based on portal hauls. I guess zero credence is givin to what we have on the roster now? We actually up graded at DL but we still need to land a corner
UF isn’t going to be good. Sun belt Billy hasn’t proven jack at UF and they come here. AR hired petrino, he didn’t set the world on fire at AM last year with arguably a better team. Also game is in Starkville. ATM wild card here but we play them well not counting 2020 and last year. I like our chance against them also at home
We have less talent at DL, LB and CB, RB. Qb maybe an upgrade. OL is not more talent but better coaching, we will see. WR maybe upgraded we will see.

personnel is overall less talented than last year, coaching is upgraded.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We have less talent at DL, LB and CB, RB. Qb maybe an upgrade. OL is not more talent but better coaching, we will see. WR maybe upgraded we will see.

Yeah. Very few 4* players on this roster. Very few. We’ll see how big an upgrade the coaching staff is. 0-8 in SEC is a real possibility.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019

Let’s examine this.
We bring in a LT that was the starter at Memphis and graded out higher than anyone we had on the OL last year and was one of the top portal LTs. We bring in one of the top rated centers in the portal in minor. Minor>Smith. At guard we bring in the starter for Texas Tech in Jackson. Bring in Martinez from LSU who this time last year was penciled in as the starting center. Yeah we upgraded significantly at OL. Booth/Lee/Danels will be better at RB than we have had last two years . WR significant upgrade. I don’t know what planet you have to be on to not think we upgraded at QB. Shapen > Rogers.
We have more talent although maybe unproven at DL than we did last year. The two transfers that everyone hates on have been much much better than originally thought. Granted we lost a lot at LB but getting Stone at starter for USCE does help. Safty will be a strength believe it or not . We do need help at corner.
I just don’t know why our fan base criticizes our players and praises others. It’s like it’s cool to **** on our team.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Let’s examine this.
We bring in a LT that was the starter at Memphis and graded out higher than anyone we had on the OL last year and was one of the top portal LTs. We bring in one of the top rated centers in the portal in minor. Minor>Smith. At guard we bring in the starter for Texas Tech in Jackson. Bring in Martinez from LSU who this time last year was penciled in as the starting center. Yeah we upgraded significantly at OL. Booth/Lee/Danels will be better at RB than we have had last two years . WR significant upgrade. I don’t know what planet you have to be on to not think we upgraded at QB. Shapen > Rogers.
We have more talent although maybe unproven at DL than we did last year. The two transfers that everyone hates on have been much much better than originally thought. Granted we lost a lot at LB but getting Stone at starter for USCE does help. Safty will be a strength believe it or not . We do need help at corner.
I just don’t know why our fan base criticizes our players and praises others. It’s like it’s cool to **** on our team.
I think you need to take off the rose colored glasses, statements like “booth, lee and Daniels will be better than anything we have had at running back the last two years” is flat out ridiculous, no offense.

USC or Washington would not even let booth, lee or Daniels hand out towels or distribute water bottles.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think you need to take off the rose colored glasses, statements like “booth, lee and Daniels will be better than anything we have had at running back the last two years” is flat out ridiculous, no offense.

USC or Washington would not even let booth, lee or Daniels hand out towels or distribute water bottles.
And our “upgrade” at QB wasn’t getting offers from schools like Washington either. We signed a lot of players. Some of them will turn out to be really good players. But almost all of them were 3* rated. It’s not like we’re suddenly going to be any more talented than we’ve pretty much always been.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019

Well for some reason they are letting Will rogers hand off to whomever that RBs. I guess your an anti Lebby

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Well for some reason they are letting Will rogers hand off to whomever that RBs. I guess your an anti Lebby
No I’m not anti Lebby. I said we upgraded our coaching staff substantially. the talent is not upgraded. You have to look at what the other sec teams have coming back and what they’ve added. I think 3-5 wins is a pretty realistic expectation.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
No I’m not anti Lebby. I said we upgraded our coaching staff substantially. the talent is not upgraded. You have to look at what the other sec teams have coming back and what they’ve added. I think 3-5 wins is a pretty realistic expectation.
Fair point. However you discount what we brought in yet praise others. That’s what I’m not understanding. It’s clear we have an offense that’s going to win us some games. No maroon colored glasses here, we have the talent on offensive side of the ball to be very good . Defense is going to better than most people on here think. While Stone is the most known player we have, we actually added some quality players and we have some young guys who are trending up in their development. Again I know not a cool take .
So yeah I think 6-6 is going to be the minimum this year.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I think we may be staring down the barrel of another Peter Sirmon defense. We've got to figure out a way to get into the back field more than we did the last two seasons. I hope there's a couple of guys who are flying under the radar that really step up and play well on the DL. We also need John Lewis to have a breakout year.