I Played Football for State from '09 - '13. Ask Me Anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
Mullen was never really a fan of me. Technically I was a Croom recruit but counted towards Mullen's '09 class (remember I greyshirted). Mullen tried to cut me before I even started. In my first ever one-on-one meeting with him he tells me "You better good because I don't want you here. You're taking the slot of a potential 5 star I could sign". Nothing like a great first impression.

I've had a few previous employees at State tell me he tried to get me to quit multiple times early on. His plan was to let me play in 2011 then sign someone to take my spot. I ended up having a good year in 2011. He signed Bell (who is a good friend of mine). I ended up having an even better year in 2012. So I guess he saw the best time to do this was my senior year. In camp prior to the 2013 season, he starts putting Bell in with the 1's on punt team. I ask Mullen after practice about it and he says "The best player will play. You know that. Bell has better numbers than you in practice". So I go and request these numbers and they have Bell beating me by one yard. Each week they'd grade our punts and I'd usually lose by a half a yard or one yard. Not sure the validity of these numbers but that was the rationale behind it. I knew at that point I was up against a battle I'd never win. It was tough on me but even tougher on my parents.

More than likely the same formula used to grade Brandon Holloway's blocking assignments.

Aug 16, 2018
One of the best threads I've ever read on any board.

Did the players notice Mullen slacked off after 2010? It seemed to be a different Mullen after the 2010 season. Was he pissed he didn't get the Miami job?

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Give us your best Boobie story. And feel free to colorize the details.
So many about Boobie. My favorite was when the volleyball team walked by us after we had done a summer workout. Boobie goes “Man, y’all are tall!”. He then proceeded to ask every single volleyball player if they could dunk. I still crack up over that one. Poor freshman.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
One of the best threads I've ever read on any board.

Did the players notice Mullen slacked off after 2010? It seemed to be a different Mullen after the 2010 season. Was he pissed he didn't get the Miami job?
Some may have noticed. I did not. 2012 sticks out more in my mind. He’d always tell us he wasn’t going anywhere though.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Harbor any dreams of going pro?
It may sound childish but after what Mullen did to me my senior year, I had no desire to play football anymore after that. Honestly I don’t have any regrets about not pursuing it either believe it or not. Most think I’m crazy but it was the best decision for me.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Can you ask DePasquale if he feels bad for costing me the last leg of an 8 team parlay at the Music City Bowl? Had us -6.5 and he decided that game was the best time to miss his first PAT of the season.
Lol I still give him a hard time over that. I was his holder that year. He missed the PAT and looked at me. With a grin I go “hey the hold was perfect”. His response to that is usually “don’t bet on 20 year olds”.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
This is legendary... thanks Swede. I am joining thread late, sorry if it's already been asked, but what are your takes on the NCAA likeness use etc.. I mean it's gotta be cool to play yourself on NCAA right? In a perfect world, you would get a little royalty, but that was never going to happen. In corporate America if the employees ***** about Folgers cause they want a new Keurig, the accountants get involved and remove all the coffee once attention is drawn to how much money is being spent on Folgers. So after the lawsuit, rather than paying up they just eliminated the issue, very corporate like. What would the vast majority of players prefer?

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
This is legendary... thanks Swede. I am joining thread late, sorry if it's already been asked, but what are your takes on the NCAA likeness use etc.. I mean it's gotta be cool to play yourself on NCAA right? In a perfect world, you would get a little royalty, but that was never going to happen. In corporate America if the employees ***** about Folgers cause they want a new Keurig, the accountants get involved and remove all the coffee once attention is drawn to how much money is being spent on Folgers. So after the lawsuit, rather than paying up they just eliminated the issue, very corporate like. What would the vast majority of players prefer?
The whole likeness thing never really bothered me. I was a punter at Mississippi State so they weren’t making much money off of me anyway. I think the vast majority of players would like to have it back. It was one of the coolest things ever to have yourself be on a video game.

Sep 12, 2013
The whole likeness thing never really bothered me. I was a punter at Mississippi State so they weren’t making much money off of me anyway. I think the vast majority of players would like to have it back. It was one of the coolest things ever to have yourself be on a video game.

Banks was one of the players on the law suit. I sincerely hope they all deeply regret. Because it blows dick not having NCAA on the new systems.

Sep 12, 2013
My one question, how bad did Mullen hate Hugh freeze, if at all? He give any indications? Or was he scared of him?

RingN2012

Sep 10, 2012
How bad do you want us to kick Florida's *** on September 29?
Do you think the OM hit on Nick was intentional?

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I am a friend of Andy Russ. Legendary punter and Enterprise commercial model. In an LSU game he famously punted a ball in the end zone that WAS whistled dead then Eddie Kennison returns it 114 yards according to LSU lore. In that series Russ gets annihilated and the highlights are shown over and over again. I think it was up for an ESPY. Would you want to be part of an ESPY highlight in that situation?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Agree. He had his faults for sure. But the bottom line is Mullen won a higher percentage of games than any coach we've had at MSU and resurrected a dead program. And that's really the only thing that matters unless you've got an out of control program, and he definitely didn't have that.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Don't remind me of that '94 game. I was in the endzone near Kennison and I heard that whistle. It also started raining the second I walked in the stadium and only quit when the game ended. Terrible night in Corn Dog City.

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
Yep 2nd cousins. I see them quite a bit. I'm guessing Tyner did. From what I've heard, he was a good basketball player.

What a great name! Thx for answering all those questions... Hail maroon helmets n white facemasks!
Go Dawgs!

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Thanks so much for doing this. Don’t know if the lunch break has reached hour 10 or whatever, but here’s a few more if you feel so inclined:

1) Who was the funniest player in the locker room during your 5 years? Any stories in particular about that guy that stand out?

2) What was Dak’s physical condition in the week of the 2013 Egg Bowl? I’ve heard some pretty unbelievable stuff.

3) Were you pretty much dead set on going to State, regardless of who the coach was? How much did the recruiting process affect your decision?

wasabaka

Sep 17, 2012
No question the best thread ever on sixpack. Thanks for the thread, and thanks for donning the maroon and white, Swede.

gymdawg.sixpack

Aug 26, 2012
Most of us could tell from a fans viewpoint that dak was special. I told everyone that would listen when he stepped on the field as a freshman that he needed to play in 2012. So why did tyler Russell start over him? I always thought that was a huge mistake. It cost us a year+ of development and offensive cohesion. Im not asking u to badmouth tyler but that guy seemed to have zero ballsack leading a team while a guy who needed the experience that the team clearly responded to sat. Any thoughts?

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Appreciate you starting the thread and for wearing the maroon & white.

For you personally, what was the hardest loss. And reversely, what was the biggest win?

TUSK.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Some requested I start a thread for this so I figured I'd give it a whirl since I'm on my lunch break. Football or other, ask me anything.

1) Did you graduate HS from HA in Columbus? (I graduated in 19888)8))
2) If not for the REC buying off SEC Officials, do you believe MSU would have clipped Bammer during your career?
3) Otters, "yea" or "nay"?

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
Great thread.

I know a guy who played during the Sherrill area (a major player/star). Interesting stuff over the years. Oh, and he didn't hate Sherrill. They have talked during the years....

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Mullen was never really a fan of me. Technically I was a Croom recruit but counted towards Mullen's '09 class (remember I greyshirted). Mullen tried to cut me before I even started. In my first ever one-on-one meeting with him he tells me "You better good because I don't want you here. You're taking the slot of a potential 5 star I could sign". Nothing like a great first impression.

Wish you would have told that hunchbacked Uncle Eddie clone something to the effect....." I was recruited and signed by an SEC school......Where the 17 is Ursina College....*****?"

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
My one question, how bad did Mullen hate Hugh freeze, if at all? He give any indications? Or was he scared of him?
From my observation, I don't think there was any ill will there. I usually saw them chatting before the game and it seemed normal. May be wrong on that though.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
How bad do you want us to kick Florida's *** on September 29?
Do you think the OM hit on Nick was intentional?
Pretty badly.
I don't think that particular hit was intentional but I do think they were playing overly dirty that game.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
I am a friend of Andy Russ. Legendary punter and Enterprise commercial model. In an LSU game he famously punted a ball in the end zone that WAS whistled dead then Eddie Kennison returns it 114 yards according to LSU lore. In that series Russ gets annihilated and the highlights are shown over and over again. I think it was up for an ESPY. Would you want to be part of an ESPY highlight in that situation?
Nah. It's never fun to get annihilated.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Thanks so much for doing this. Don’t know if the lunch break has reached hour 10 or whatever, but here’s a few more if you feel so inclined:

1) Who was the funniest player in the locker room during your 5 years? Any stories in particular about that guy that stand out?

2) What was Dak’s physical condition in the week of the 2013 Egg Bowl? I’ve heard some pretty unbelievable stuff.

3) Were you pretty much dead set on going to State, regardless of who the coach was? How much did the recruiting process affect your decision?

1. There were a bunch over the years. McPhee was pretty funny because he almost had this Jamaican accent when he talked. Boobie is legendary. Broomfield was always laughing and having a good time. I'll have to think on particular stories. I know there are a bunch but I haven't had my coffee this morning.
2. I'm trying to remember but if memory serves me correct, he didn't even practice that week leading up that game. I truly think he came in cold and got the win. Thank God since I put is in that bad situation right before half time. That one still haunts me.
3. If State was going to offer, I was headed there. I wasn't going to walk on though. Northwestern, University of Virginia, LSU, and Ole Miss with some late letters from Tennessee were recruiting me pretty heavily. Not saying I would've gotten offer from all of them but I think out of those, I would have gotten at least one other offer had I not committed to State so soon. If I didn't get an offer from anyone I would've probably walked on at Bama or State.

Summer of my senior year in high school I went to a Bama kicking camp not really expecting anything. More to just work on my fundamentals. So I go through camp and at the end of camp they always have a competition. Usually ten punts where they chart your hang time and distance. They always go by last name in alphabetical order so I'm just kind of chilling since it'll be a while before I punt. Next thing I know, the first name they call out is "Swedenburg". I'm thinking to myself, "This is weird but oh well". As I'm getting ready to punt, I look over my shoulder and about 5 yards away from me is Nick Saban looking right at me. I'm thinking oh great let's not shank any of these. I punt my ten punts and did pretty well. Walk off to the side and think nothing about it. All of the sudden Saban taps me on the shoulder and says, "Let's go over here and talk". We chatted for about 5 minutes which was pretty freaking cool. He said that they had offered a kicker last week but had they not, I would have an offer today and that if I wanted to walk on, I'd have a spot. I ended up winning the entire camp and got a pic with Nick. One of the coolest experiences I've had.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Most of us could tell from a fans viewpoint that dak was special. I told everyone that would listen when he stepped on the field as a freshman that he needed to play in 2012. So why did tyler Russell start over him? I always thought that was a huge mistake. It cost us a year+ of development and offensive cohesion. Im not asking u to badmouth tyler but that guy seemed to have zero ballsack leading a team while a guy who needed the experience that the team clearly responded to sat. Any thoughts?
I think Mullen viewed Tyler as more seasoned and prone to make less mistakes at the time. Dak was still green but had a bunch of talent. I'm guessing it's similar to Mullen and the whole younger running backs not play until later due to pass blocking. That's my best guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.