OT: But WOW

Fowlmoodin99

Joined Oct 28, 1998
Jan 20, 2022
Recently did a little ancestry work. If I could bring them back alive, I could put all my grandfather's taking me back to the 1300's (24 generations) in a Starbucks for a cup of coffee. As Jimmy Buffett said, "24 hours may be 60 good years, it's really not that long a stay."

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Our sons were over for the Holidays, and being "Dad" i was asking them how they were preparing for their retirement. They're both 38.
They just kind of rolled their eyes. So I then pointed to a picture on the wall when they were around 10 years old. That's when I said "Both of you are closer to being 60, then when you were those boys in that picture.
Their expression was priceless.

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
Our sons were over for the Holidays, and being "Dad" i was asking them how they were preparing for their retirement. They're both 38.
They just kind of rolled their eyes. So I then pointed to a picture on the wall when they were around 10 years old. That's when I said "Both of you are closer to being 60, then when you were those boys in that picture.
Their expression was priceless.
Even when I was a college student, I'd see coins minted on my dad's birth year and think, "this is an old coin." Truth is the world when I was born was indeed a very different place than the one we live in now. I guess I'm finally learning to accept that my youth is in the proverbial rear view mirror (along with a lot of missed turns!).

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Even when I was a college student, I'd see coins minted on my dad's birth year and think, "this is an old coin." Truth is the world when I was born was indeed a very different place than the one we live in now. I guess I'm finally learning to accept that my youth is in the proverbial rear view mirror (along with a lot of missed turns!).
I hurt all kinds of places. That tells me all I need to know. Still, that OP image is a slap in the face.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Recently did a little ancestry work. If I could bring them back alive, I could put all my grandfather's taking me back to the 1300's (24 generations) in a Starbucks for a cup of coffee. As Jimmy Buffett said, "24 hours may be 60 good years, it's really not that long a stay."
I've often thought I would have loved to sit down with my Dad and introduce him to the internet. He was a glutton for reading and information. I would like to have shown him how to create and edit documents, how to take pictures and send them from place to place. In my mind, he would have been well beyond fascinated and amazed. But then I think, what do I truly have to show a man who has been to Heaven?

Fowlmoodin99

Joined Oct 28, 1998
Jan 20, 2022
I've often thought I would have loved to sit down with my Dad and introduce him to the internet. He was a glutton for reading and information. I would like to have shown him how to create and edit documents, how to take pictures and send them from place to place. In my mind, he would have been well beyond fascinated and amazed. But then I think, what do I truly have to show a man who has been to Heaven?
My wife and I always say if our parents could come back GPS would blow them away. But to your very well taken point, you don't need a GPS to find heaven.

Sparklecity

Jan 20, 2022
I tried to teach my mom how to tex and use her smart phone, I told her it would be easier to teach Helen Keller how to use that phone than it was her. Before she got hers, I would hand her mine to look at something and it would come back in a different language and time zone. I love and miss my momma!

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
If my granddad had lived long enough to be able to use the internet and social media, he would probably know all the agents of his local Secret Service field office on a first-name basis by now. It's probably good that he was never introduced to such platforms. haha

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
That is a sobering fact, OP. I recently calculated that if a person lives to be 80 years old, they have about 698,880 hours on this earth. That's really not that many, especially considering that we've all used a significant chunk of those already. Imagine how carefully we would spend our dollars if we were told we only had $700,000 to last us the rest of our lives and there was no way to make more money. Spend your hours wisely.

IOPGCock

Jan 30, 2022
Interesting timing coming across this thread. Was talking with a high school/college buddy last night. We were reminiscing about about the first Pearl Jam concert we went to in 1996 (we lost to Auburn that day).

I was telling him it’s crazy to think we are as far from that day now as we were from that day and The Beatles breakup which seemed like ancient history at the time.

But this stat….just WOW.

PD-Cock

Jan 29, 2022
My granddaughter was reading a story to the bride & I, she turns & asked the meaning of a word. So, being the loving caring PaPa I am, got up grabbed the ole Webster Dictionary off the shelf, blew off the dust & proceeded to educate my lil darlin on the value of knowing how to use this valuable tool.
Innocently she bats her baby blues, frowns & says, PaPa don't you know how to use Google?
Old, I'll show you old!