This place is about to be Deadsville, USA

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Basketball is over.
Basketball is over.
Spring camp is over (not that anyone cared anyway).
Baseball is just aight.
No great recruiting stories.

Even when there are things to talk about, conversation is pretty sparse most days.

Queue up the political discussion! Or maybe something will happen with the ACC/FSU issue. That has generated more interest among our fans than almost anything Gamecock-related.

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024
Basketball is over.
Basketball is over.
Baseball is just aight.

Even when there are things to talk about, conversation is pretty sparse most days.

Queue up the political discussion! Or maybe something will happen with the ACC/FSU issue. That has generated more interest among our fans than almost anything Gamecock-related.
But the political discussions keep getting deleted. Trans athletes, Title IX, etc.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Basketball is over.
Basketball is over.
Baseball is just aight.

Queue up the censor happy monitors!
Even for sports related topics like Title IX changes, they are happy to hit the delete button.

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022
The Reds are doing ok this year, might win 90 games.
English premier league is winding down and Everton seems to have avoided relegation.
Stanley Cup is rolling now, but the Washington capitals are to old and slow to advance

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
But the political discussions keep getting deleted. Trans athletes, Title IX, etc.

Old CockyTalk had sub-forums, one of which was a political forum, and that worked really well. Also liked keeping the sports discussion separate with sub-forums for each of the sports and a recruiting forum.

This forum is a basically a general sports forum, with a Gamecock emphasis.

Cockypantherfan

Joined Nov 15, 2020 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
Basketball is over.
Basketball is over.
Baseball is just aight.

How are there "no recruiting stories" when we just had a big visit weekend with our spring game and OVs are going to begin starting May 31 and going through June?

I think you just like to hear yourself piss and moan.

Reactions: SSIGamecock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
How are there "no recruiting stories" when we just had a big visit weekend with our spring game and OVs are going to begin starting May 31 and going through June?

I think you just like to hear yourself piss and moan.

I said no "great" recruiting stories. I know we're in the mix for some decent recruits, but nothing that's going to generate a bunch of discussion.

Cockypantherfan

Jan 17, 2022
If I'm wrong, and I hope I am, then start the discussion. I'd love to talk recruiting.
I did lay out the below in a different thread last week: Since then we have commitments from Shamari Earls (4* CB out of VA) and Caleb Williams (3* DL out of VA). We have 2 commitments from the top 10 players in the state of VA, and will most likely end up with 4 of the top 10 players from VA.

Throw in Jontae Gilbert (another 4* DB) and that probably rounds out our DB class with 3 4* players and one 3*.

We lead for 4* OL Shed Sarratt and Jaylen Gilchrist

Taking a swing at 4* OL Juan Gaston who is from Georgia and a big time talent; he's been on campus a few times and is coming to the spring game

We are taking big swings at big time 4* / borderline 5* LBs Zayden Walker and Tavion Wallace. Zayden will hopefully be at our spring game and has been on campus close to 10 times.

We are taking a big swing at high 4* DE Jared Smith and he seems to be receptive to us

In decent shape with 3* DE Taeshawn Alston out of North Carolina

Just had Anthony Addison commit this week who is a higher upside DE (3-4*)

Taking a swing at 4* WR Adrian Wilson who is from Texas and plans to be in for the spring game

Battling w/ UNC for 4* WR Malik Clark who is from SC

So you see, we aren't in desperation mode as you seem to paint it out to be.

I will say it's a bit concerning with our interior DL class so we need to turn that around.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I did lay out the below in a different thread last week: Since then we have commitments from Shamari Earls (4* CB out of VA) and Caleb Williams (3* DL out of VA). We have 2 commitments from the top 10 players in the state of VA, and will most likely end up with 4 of the top 10 players from VA.

Throw in Jontae Gilbert (another 4* DB) and that probably rounds out our DB class with 3 4* players and one 3*.

We lead for 4* OL Shed Sarratt and Jaylen Gilchrist

Taking a swing at 4* OL Juan Gaston who is from Georgia and a big time talent; he's been on campus a few times and is coming to the spring game

We are taking big swings at big time 4* / borderline 5* LBs Zayden Walker and Tavion Wallace. Zayden will hopefully be at our spring game and has been on campus close to 10 times.

We are taking a big swing at high 4* DE Jared Smith and he seems to be receptive to us

In decent shape with 3* DE Taeshawn Alston out of North Carolina

Just had Anthony Addison commit this week who is a higher upside DE (3-4*)

Taking a swing at 4* WR Adrian Wilson who is from Texas and plans to be in for the spring game

Battling w/ UNC for 4* WR Malik Clark who is from SC

So you see, we aren't in desperation mode as you seem to paint it out to be.

I will say it's a bit concerning with our interior DL class so we need to turn that around.
I never said desperation mode.

5 of the recruits you mentioned above are ones we are "taking a swing at". Gaston, Walker and Wallace don't seem to be seriously considering us at all. We don't seem to be in play at all for Wilson that I can see any of the recruiting sites.

Smith seems fairly solid with us.

But, again, I'm talking about recruits that will generate discussion. 3* guys and guys for whom we are longshots aren't going to generate discussion.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
By mid July we'll have plenty of "experts" posting how we are going to win 10 games and go to the SEC championship game and be a lock in the playoff and Sellers will be in NYC at the Heisman ceremony.
I've seen it posited by quite a few posters on TIF that Sellers will be the best USC quarterback ever.

Cockypantherfan

Jan 17, 2022
I never said desperation mode.

5 of the recruits you mentioned above are ones we are "taking a swing at". Gaston, Walker and Wallace don't seem to be seriously considering us at all. We don't seem to be in play at all for Wilson that I can see any of the recruiting sites.

Smith seems fairly solid with us.

But, again, I'm talking about recruits that will generate discussion. 3* guys and guys for whom we are longshots aren't going to generate discussion.
Don’t know that you’re on TIF, but an article was just posted that says we now have two predictions for Jared Smith and we are in really good shape and maybe even the team to beat for Zayden Walker.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I've seen it posited by quite a few posters on TIF that Sellers will be the best USC quarterback ever.

I have not seen that sentiment, but I do think it's ok for us to be excited about him. Nothing we've seen so far should cause us to be pessimistic about him.

Pre-portal, it was the norm to get excited about your own young players.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Don’t know that you’re on TIF, but an article was just posted that says we now have two predictions for Jared Smith and we are in really good shape and maybe even the team to beat for Zayden Walker.

That would surely be great about Walker. ON3 and Rivals have him heading to UGA. Maybe that's out of date. Here's hoping.

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
Let's talk baseball. Not expecting much though.
We lost another SEC series. At Home.
Just don't see us being much more than middling in the SEC unless we make the change we need to make.
Accurate statement IMO. Too many inconsistent tendencies it seems to me. It's a different issue each game. I don't understand our HC statement after Arky series how our defense has been good in the SEC when speaking of game 3 let down. Was he speaking of SEC play only?

Cockypantherfan

Jan 17, 2022
That would surely be great about Walker. ON3 and Rivals have him heading to UGA. Maybe that's out of date. Here's hoping.

The report said not to sleep on Carolina and that people who spent time w/ him this weekend believe that SC has the ability to win out.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
The report said not to sleep on Carolina and that people who spent time w/ him this weekend believe that SC has the ability to win out.
247 doesn't name a school in their crystal ball yet on Walker but they do list UGA first, Miami second, Penn State third and USC fourth in their list of schools he is "warm" on. His offer list is pretty much every P5 team. UGA has become an NFL linebacker factory recently so they will be tough to beat for him.

Cockypantherfan

Jan 17, 2022
247 doesn't name a school in their crystal ball yet on Walker but they do list UGA first, Miami second, Penn State third and USC fourth in their list of schools he is "warm" on. His offer list is pretty much every P5 team. UGA has become an NFL linebacker factory recently so they will be tough to beat for him.
It's basically down to USC, Miami, UGA and we are in pretty good position. Also helps that his brother is enrolling in the summer as a freshman DB.

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
And there's music. Speaking of which. Did anyone on here attend the Three Dog Night concert at Clemson in '70 or may have been '71? If so, do you recall who the supporting act was? It's been bothering me for a while now.....

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Basketball is over.
Basketball is over.
Baseball is just aight.

Enjoy your summer

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
As they should be.
I don't know that they should be deleted, at least where politics and sports meet and intertwine. That seems like a relevant and reasonable conversation on a sports forum.

Now, conversations about the deficit or immigration or gun control wouldn't be relevant to sports, so I don't have a problem with those being locked.

Reactions: Sweetwatergolf

Thunderstick

Jan 21, 2022
The Reds are doing ok this year, might win 90 games. NO!!
English premier league is winding down and Everton seems to have avoided relegation. NO!!
Stanley Cup is rolling now, but the Washington capitals are to old and slow to advance NO!!
Bad topics!!

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Basketball is over.
Basketball is over.
Baseball is just aight.

Sweet summertime is almost here. The long Montana winter is (almost) over and I'm excited for another epic summer leading up to the fall hunting season. I've got 6-months of pent-up golfing, and hiking needs to begin unleashing in the next couple of weeks, not to mention some outdoor archery targets to destroy. We are on the doorstep of the most adventurous time of year - go out and grab it by the horns!

Reactions: Cackmandu

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I don't know that they should be deleted, at least where politics and sports meet and intertwine. That seems like a relevant and reasonable conversation on a sports forum.

Now, conversations about the deficit or immigration or gun control wouldn't be relevant to sports, so I don't have a problem with those being locked.
I would usually agree they should be deleted except for 2 reasons, one of you reference. First, this forum is not maintained as a Gamecock sports forum, but as a forum for general sports discussion (with an emphasis on Gamecock sports). Given #1, the second reason they should not be deleted is when they are pertinent to sports, as in the Title IX issue, which is quite relevant to sports.

if this forum were maintained as strictly a discussion forum for Gamecock sports, that would be a different issue. But there’s a whole lot of discussion that goes on this forum that’s not at all related to Gamecock sports. Many times not even sports at all.

Reactions: will110

Thunderstick

Jan 21, 2022
I'm not getting excited, or even mildly interested, until I see both our offensive and defensive huddles break on August 31 in Williams-Brice.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Would love to have an investment forum. I know some would like to have a political forum. I like politics too. But from my experience, that topic causes a lot of ill-will. Rather than looking at the opposite opinion as differences of thought, it's looked at as coming from a hated enemy. It makes the verbal back and forths between Carolina and Clemson fans look like a kumbaya lovefest. That's not good. That's why I'm sure political talk gets deleted here. It's the same thing on a paid investment site I'm on. They delete political talk. Politics has more of a relationship with investments than it does with sports. The subject of making money, on the other hand, is unifying (that's why I suggest an investment forum).

Reactions: Uscg1984

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I'm not getting excited, or even mildly interested, until I see both our offensive and defensive huddles break on August 31 in Williams-Brice.
I'm not getting excited unless we beat Kentucky on the road early in the season. If we beat them, then 7-5 looks doable. If we lose, then it will be "wait till next year", imho.

Reactions: Thunderstick

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022

Actually, we have a Gamecock sports board here. It could be pared back so as to exclude anything not related to Gamecocks and sports BOTH.