“Justified” fans….

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
I’m giving it a shot….but this first season’s acting outside of Raylan is pretty cheesy. Does it get better as the series progresses? The stereotypes and accents are pathetic.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Really? You think Boyd is a problem? He is a legit Southerner that does lean into it a bit, but I don’t think his accent is that bad. Nick Searcy (Art), Ava, are also southerners.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I watched a little bit of it but lost interest pretty fast.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
Really? You think Boyd is a problem? He is a legit Southerner that does lean into it a bit, but I don’t think his accent is that bad. Nick Searcy (Art), Ava, are also southerners.

Boyd is just so over the top to me. I think the story is going to unfold pretty well, and I love Olyphant, but I just get tired of seeing folks portrayed the same old way over and over.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Boyd is just so over the top to me. I think the story is going to unfold pretty well, and I love Olyphant, but I just get tired of seeing folks portrayed the same old way over and over.
Boyd and Raylan’s story arc is great over the whole series. Boyd is definitely over the top but his character gets deeper as the show progresses. It does a good job of showing how just because you don’t get an advanced degree doesn’t mean you aren’t bright as hell.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
You could write anyone off the show except Raylan and Boyd and it would still be good. The two makes the series. Coal miner friends become arch enemies with that friend ship coming out every once in a while. It was a damn good series. The actor who plays Boyd has the same accent in every movie or series he has played in. He is from Georgia and is doing Cspire commercials now.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
You could write anyone off the show except Raylan and Boyd and it would still be good. The two makes the series. Coal miner friends become arch enemies with that friend ship coming out every once in a while. It was a damn good series. The actor who plays Boyd has the same accent in every movie or series he has played in. He is from Georgia and is doing Cspire commercials now.
A friend and I were just discussing this. The only time I can think of Goggins not having that accent was in The Shield.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
Boyd and Raylan’s story arc is great over the whole series. Boyd is definitely over the top but his character gets deeper as the show progresses. It does a good job of showing how just because you don’t get an advanced degree doesn’t mean you aren’t bright as hell.

That’s more of what I’m talking about….I’m a character development guy. I wouldn’t mind Boyd’s hyperaccent if they didn’t have him be the typical Southern religious nut. If they develop him like I hope they do, I’ll like it. Just started season two premiere.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
If hillbilly and southern stereotypes bother you, then don't watch it because it gets way worse than Boyd. It's all about Raylen being the "fastest gun in the west". And the bullet joke.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Sometimes I wonder about what the world expects out of television and movies. If you want reality, go sit in a courtroom for a few hours. If you went great actors that bring you to tears, check out an opera. If you want to enjoy a TV show like Justified...

View attachment 24116

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
I've watched it at least once a year since it first aired. Great series with great dialogue.
My favorite scene, paraphrased. Raylan facing four bad guys in a parking lot at night. All have their coats swept back ready to draw. Chief bad guy says "There's 4 of us 1 of you. How do you think that's gonna go?" Raylan says "I'll get two of you before you even clear leather. The other two? We'll just have to see."

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
Sometimes I wonder about what the world expects out of television and movies. If you want reality, go sit in a courtroom for a few hours. If you went great actors that bring you to tears, check out an opera. If you want to enjoy a TV show like Justified...

View attachment 24116

Point made, but let me see if I can clarify for you, JLS. There were terrible over the top stereotypes in Waterboy….and they were hysterical. That’s what I expect from a Sandler movie. What little I’ve heard about Justified, plus the fact that it’s on FX, I wasn’t expecting exactly what I’ve seen so far. I thought it would be more like Rectify, which I can’t recommend enough. That make sense?

I like it mostly so far, and this second season has started off good. Olyphant is good enough to carry the show himself, so…

Jan 31, 2012
It blew my mind when I found out Dewey Crowe was Australian. He's on a great FX show called Mr. Inbetween. It lasted 3 seasons and follows a hired gun/criminal at work and at home. Dewey plays his "boss." Great show

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
I lived close to Harlan for a while and spent quite a bit of time there. While some of the actors / storylines in the show may be a bit over the top, the stereotypes are not far off.

They are basically trying to take the Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia and recreate that for a TV show.

I like the show. I think Goggins does a great job.

Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
you dont have to worry about that long
What’s crazy is Boyd was supposed to die in the pilot but tested so well they kept him on. The show runners did a great job with his character considering they had no source material unlike other shows. Looking at you GOT.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
I’m giving it a shot….but this first season’s acting outside of Raylan is pretty cheesy. Does it get better as the series progresses? The stereotypes and accents are pathetic.

what are you watching it on? what stream?

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
What’s crazy is Boyd was supposed to die in the pilot but tested so well they kept him on. The show runners did a great job with his character considering they had no source material unlike other shows. Looking at you GOT.

absolutely. its a testament to Walton Goggins. Dude takes over EVERYTHING he's ever been in.

Hell, you can reference his role in Sons of Anarchy that was supposed to be a one episode guest star that became a recurring character. He's just that damn good

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Great show along the lines of watching a good Clint Eastwood movie. The interaction between characters is very good and they do a lot of stereotyping but that is how life is in some areas. What show about the south doesn't stereotype? It's all about Raylan and Boyd! The impressive psychological storyline to me was how two very similar individuals (family life, upbringing, social class, friends, etc.) can choose such different paths in life and what happens when those paths cross.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login