“What becomes really important is long-standing rivalry games, geographic proximal games"

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Sankey's latest statement should be concerning (for those of us worried we'll be Bama's 3rd perm opponent).

Our only hope is we don't end up with three perm opponents.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football...tball-greg-sankey/SXDZEFIXIJDONI55HMBLXKZKVM/
“What becomes really important is long-standing rivalry games, geographic proximal games, and we want to work with our TV partners a little bit more before we make our final decisions,” said Sankey.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Do you not think he "listed long-standing rivalry games, geographic proximal games" in that order for a reason? We've played bama more than any other team and are right down Hwy 82.

I just hope Keenum is strong enough and shrewd enough to protect us, cause we gonna get screwed if not.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Alabama will not be one of our 3 permanent rivalries. Auburn or Texas A&M might be, but Alabama is a 100% lock to get Auburn, Tennessee, and LSU.
Bama has played LSU 82 times and that’s a much bigger rivalry game and TV draw than Bama-MSU.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Alabama will not be one of our 3 permanent rivalries. Auburn or Texas A&M might be, but Alabama is a 100% lock to get Auburn, Tennessee, and LSU.
They are going to protect bama at all costs. Bama certainly will not get LSU (who is obviously on the way up). The league has a deep interest in getting as many blue-blood teams through the schedule with as few losses as possible

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Bama has played LSU 82 times and that’s a much bigger rivalry game and TV draw than Bama-MSU.
We are bama's most played opponent, we've played them like 106 times. The SEC and Bama will classify that as a long-standing rivalry game. Although we know it's not a rivalry.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Just wait.

I hate being right, especially in this instance. But I will be.

Our opponents absolutely will be Ole Miss, Alabama and Kentucky.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We are bama's most played opponent, we've played them like 106 times. The SEC and Bama will classify that as a long-standing rivalry game. Although we know it's not a rivalry.
There is no question that if the SEC goes to three perm opponents, Bama and the League will push hard for MSU to one of Bama's. If that does happen and there is no way out of it, Keenum has to die on the hill of Vandy being our other opponent.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
There is no question that if the SEC goes to three perm opponents, Bama and the League will push hard for MSU to one of Bama's. If that does happen and there is no way out of it, Keenum has to die on the hill of Vandy being our other opponent.
And that would be perfect. The benefit of playing Vandy every year FAR outweighs the detriment of playing Bama or Georgia every year.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

patdog

May 28, 2007
82 games vs a huge rival > 106 games vs just another game. It’s not like Bama-LSU isn’t a pretty long-standing rivalry in its own right. If games played is the standard, say goodbye to the Iron Bowl being played every year.

Reactions: travis.sixpack

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Sankey's latest statement should be concerning (for those of us worried we'll be Bama's 3rd perm opponent).

Our only hope is we don't end up with three perm opponents.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football...tball-greg-sankey/SXDZEFIXIJDONI55HMBLXKZKVM/
“What becomes really important is long-standing rivalry games, geographic proximal games, and we want to work with our TV partners a little bit more before we make our final decisions,” said Sankey.
ESPN isn’t going to pay the SEC a billion dollars to broadcast games like State-Bama every year. TV money is the only reason OU and Texas are even making the move. The only people on earth that want to see that matchup are greedy Bama fans.

Sankey rules the SEC, not Bama. He’s smart enough to know TV ratings trump saving a few dollars on travel costs. Hopefully, Selmon has let him know that we’ve played Bama enough, now it’s some one else’s burden. Karma would be OM getting them to make up for the decades they never played each.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
82 games vs a huge rival > 106 games vs just another game. It’s not like Bama-LSU isn’t a pretty long-standing rivalry in its own right. If games played is the standard, say goodbye to the Iron Bowl being played every year.
Do you really think Saban wants to play LSU every year or us? UT is on the way up and the barn usually gives Bama a decent game (those two are locked in). For the thrid team on their schedule Saban, who is likely the most powerful person in the conference, would prefer us.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
And that would be perfect. The benefit of playing Vandy every year FAR outweighs the detriment of playing Bama or Georgia every year.
Do you really think Saban wants to play LSU every year or us? UT is on the way up and the barn usually gives Bama a decent game (those two are locked in). For the thrid team on their schedule Saban, who is likely the most powerful person in the conference, would prefer us.
I think Saban would rather play LSU. The playoff also expands in 2024, and a two-loss maybe even three loss Alabama team is a lock for a berth. Y’all think Saban is scared of competition?

ETA: I don’t know why I posted the first quote.

Reactions: patdog

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
This whole "poor ol' Mississippi State is so awful that every wants to play us and beat up on us!" mentality is stupid. No other fanbase in the SEC sees itself with such an inferiority complex.

Judging by FPI, we are the 8th best program in the SEC over the last 5 years and the last 10 years, and that's even with some subpar years in the mix. If Saban really is a ***** who wants the easiest schedule possible, he'll ask for Vandy or Arkansas. Of course he won't, because the conference will prefer the annual Alabama-LSU matchup, and that's what it will be.

ETA - I guess it's possible that Alabama could get Oklahoma as their third, since Oklahoma is going to have to make up a rivalry or 2 anyway, and that would be a marquee game, but I'm still heavily leaning toward Alabama-LSU, and Oklahoma drawing Florida as a permanent.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
This whole "poor ol' Mississippi State is so awful that every wants to play us and beat up on us!" mentality is stupid. No other fanbase in the SEC sees itself with such an inferiority complex.

Judging by FPI, we are the 8th best program in the SEC over the last 5 years and the last 10 years, and that's even with some subpar years in the mix. If Saban really is a ***** who wants the easiest schedule possible, he'll ask for Vandy or Arkansas. Of course he won't, because the conference will prefer the annual Alabama-LSU matchup, and that's what it will be.

ETA - I guess it's possible that Alabama could get Oklahoma as their third, since Oklahoma is going to have to make up a rivalry or 2 anyway, and that would be a marquee game, but I'm still heavily leaning toward Alabama-LSU, and Oklahoma drawing Florida as a permanent.
Dude read Sankey's quote, two things should pop out, long-standing and proximity.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
He didn't mean it literally. Alabama and LSU are fairly close and have played each other a bunch of times.
Oh, he didn't? Seems like he chose his words carefully. Saban can fire up the bus drive to Starkville in two hours, get an easy win and be home by midnight. Nowhere else can he do that.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Last edited:

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Our frame of reference for permanent rival vs. rotational rival is how often we play Kentucky vs. how often we play Georgia. We play Kentucky every year and go to Lexington every other year. We play Georgia once every 6 years. We go to Athens once every 12 years.

But in the new format*, we will play a team in our rotation every other year. We will visit an SEC stadium in our rotation every four years. Yes, it would be better not to play Alabama every year, but we are playing them on a regular basis, no matter what.

We’ll play 4 or 5 of these teams EVERY YEAR: Alabama, Oklahoma, Georgia, LSU, Texas, Florida, Texas A&M, and Auburn. We are going to play some dudes, no matter what.

*-assuming everyone is right that it will be 9 games: 3 permanent and 6 rotational

Reactions: MSUDOG24 and patdog

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
More likely to be this if Auburn doesn’t get UF:
Mississippi St - Ole Miss, Missouri, Vanderbilt
Ole Miss - Mississippi St, LSU, Auburn

Can’t wait to hear them laugh at us and tell us how they are the bigger brand. I’ll laugh with them. Going to be their main excuse as to why we go to bowls more often.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Whoever is Bamas 3rd should get Vandy too. And be willing to change the third permanent every once in a while since it’s the nonsensical permanent opponent

patdog

May 28, 2007
Our frame of reference for permanent rival vs. rotational rival is how often we play Kentucky vs. how often we play Georgia. We play Kentucky every year and go to Lexington every other year. We play Georgia once every 6 years. We go to Athens once every 12 years.

But in the new format*, we will play a team in our rotation every other year. We will visit an SEC stadium in our rotation every four years. Yes, it would be better not to play Alabama every year, but we are playing them on a regular basis, no matter what.

We’ll play 4 or 5 of these teams EVERY YEAR: Alabama, Oklahoma, Georgia, LSU, Texas, Florida, Texas A&M, and Auburn. We are going to play some dudes, no matter what.

*-assuming everyone is right that it will be 9 games: 3 permanent and 6 rotational
This is what a lot of people are forgetting. Does it really matter much if we play Auburn, A&M or Bama every year instead of every other year, when between the 3 we're going to play 4 games every 2 years no matter what? Still, it won't be Bama. It will be A&M or possibly Auburn.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
This is what a lot of people are forgetting. Does it really matter much if we play Auburn, A&M or Bama every year instead of every other year, when between the 3 we're going to play 4 games every 2 years no matter what? Still, it won't be Bama. It will be A&M or possibly Auburn.
I'd 10/10 rather play the barn or T5-7 every year than Bama.

It matters a great deal, we can beat almost every team in the SEC, but haven't beat bama in 15 years and we've really only challenged them a couple of times in the time period.

Recent history has proven we can't beat bama, but we can hold our own against most other SEC schools.

I want to win as many games as possible every year.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
For the 23rd time, Bama will soon be Saban-less. Their time in the sun as the dominant team will be over, for at least about 10-15 years. Maybe longer. They’ll still have good spurts but far from the unbeatable crock-potting empire they have been.

Reactions: HRMSU and patdog

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Bama is going to get at least one cupcake permanent opponent. The SEC office may consider Auburn that cupcake but if not, we are the most obvious choice the be their guaranteed SEC win.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Bama is going to get at least one cupcake permanent opponent. The SEC office may consider Auburn that cupcake but if not, we are the most obvious choice the be their guaranteed SEC win.
Tennesse averaged 2.86 SEC wins in the 14 seasons prior to this past season. They are Bama's cupcake.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
The permanent opponents will only makeup 1/3 of the schedule. Having easier permanent opponents can only benefit teams trying to reach bowl eligibility. It’s really not going to do anything for teams trying to make the playoff. Makes way more sense to schedule based off of rivalries and ratings instead of giving playoff contenders easier games.

Reactions: HRMSU and patdog

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Great. We have played Bama more than anyone (106 times), LSU more than anyone, Ole Miss more than anyone, and Auburn more than anyone but UGA....

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The permanent opponents will only makeup 1/3 of the schedule. Having easier permanent opponents can only benefit teams trying to reach bowl eligibility. It’s really not going to do anything for teams trying to make the playoff. Makes way more sense to schedule based off of rivalries and ratings instead of giving playoff contenders easier games.
Let's say in a couple of years bama has UGA and UT on their schedule and loses both, do you think they want LSU or us on the schedule? Even with a 12 team playoff, a three loss team getting in will be rare.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
For the 23rd time, Bama will soon be Saban-less. Their time in the sun as the dominant team will be over, for at least about 10-15 years. Maybe longer. They’ll still have good spurts but far from the unbeatable crock-potting empire they have been.
Possibly, but college football is a huge business now, unlike when the Bear retired. I doubt they are going to wander through the wilderness for 40 years, they will cycle through coaches quickly until they are sure they have the right one. Recruiting, facilities and every other advantage is already in place and well ingrained.

I expect their transition to be more like OU going from Stoops to Riley and TOSU going from Meyer to Day. They many not be in the playoff every year, but they will challenge for it.

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Tennesse averaged 2.86 SEC wins in the 14 seasons prior to this past season. They are Bama's cupcake.
Yes but it’s more about perception than statistics. Tennessee is a SEC blue blood and we are a bottom half dweller in the eyes of everyone outside of Starkville. Everyone just assumes that Tn will always be an upper level team and we will always be a lower level team.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Possibly, but college football is a huge business now, unlike when the Bear retired. I doubt they are going to wander through the wilderness for 40 years, they will cycle through coaches quickly until they are sure they have the right one. Recruiting, facilities and every other advantage is already in place and well ingrained.

I expect their transition to be more like OU going from Stoops to Riley and TOSU going from Meyer to Day. They many not be in the playoff every year, but they will challenge for it.
Don't get me wrong, I'd rather not play them. I'd prefer to distance ourselves from them just because, historically, they've owned us. But truth be known, using the 3-5 system, we'll play everyone in the SEC home and away at least every 4 years, some even more. I don't know that any of this matters. Bottom line, we're about to get a lot of money, but football wins are going to be harder to come by.

If we don't have to play P5 OOC games, we should drop those immediately.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login