đź”’ Freshman OL Sam Westmoreland has passed away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Just once you need to be at the threshold of being afraid to face the next day. I was there once and survived. That kind of personal crisis is not a time for levity, until way after the event.

Thank God I met a blind man who preached the Gospel the Sunday after the event. He told us that you may hurt now, but you cannot dig a hole so deep that the Grace of God was not deeper still.

God bless you, Sam. Pray for his soul and his Family.

Anon1666311179

Oct 20, 2022
Says the guy that made a thread all about himself.
No, you guys all chose to make it about me. I made an innocuous 1 liner about Rupert’s post that had nothing to do with Westmoreland, his family, friends, teammates or classmates. It was real simple to downvote it and move on. The Colin Jost gif was funny and apropos, and that’s why I “liked” it. Every other comment about my comment simply derailed what should have been a good thread.

i firmly disagree with all who think I was being disrespectful or classless. I think the reaction to my post is incredibly disrespectful to anyone who may have opened the thread looking for information or comfort. Rupert’s post was oddly worded and I pointed that out. Should have been the end of it.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
No, you guys all chose to make it about me. I made an innocuous 1 liner about Rupert’s post that had nothing to do with Westmoreland, his family, friends, teammates or classmates. It was real simple to downvote it and move on. The Colin Jost gif was funny and apropos, and that’s why I “liked” it. Every other comment about my comment simply derailed what should have been a good thread.

i firmly disagree with all who think I was being disrespectful or classless. I think the reaction to my post is incredibly disrespectful to anyone who may have opened the thread looking for information or comfort. Rupert’s post was oddly worded and I pointed that out. Should have been the end of it.
You should research narcissism and borderline personality disorder. I think you’ll find it useful

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013

I mean can y'all not ban people anymore?

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004

Dude. Take the L and move on.

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012

At some point you have to learn when the hole you have dug is deep enough.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Suicide is way too prevalent in America for all groups, young people in particular, but I seem to recall some article suggesting that white American males actually may have the highest suicide rate in the world. Our veterans have an especially high suicide rate.

Reactions: Ghostman

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Suicide is way too prevalent in America for all groups, young people in particular, but I seem to recall some article suggesting that white American males actually may have the highest suicide rate in the world. Our veterans have an especially high suicide rate.
Yep. The suicide rate amongst the Vets coming home from the ME is appalling and it seems we are not doing enough about it or making it an issue by reporting more on it.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I suspect our elected leaders know about this but they have other priorities. And you're right about publicizing it. Elected leaders respond to activism and lobbying.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I suspect our elected leaders know about this but they have other priorities. And you're right about publicizing it. Elected leaders respond to activism and lobbying.
I'm not sure it's that they have other priorities as much as they just don't know how to address it. Certainly we do a lot of stupid stuff (some jurisdictions treat ex convicts as a more favored class than vets), but I'm not sure how much fixing that would reduce the incidence of suicide. Suicide isn't usually the result of a rational thought process. It's not driven by people that are in serious chronic pain or that are in situations where people in the outside can look at it and say, yea, I get why they thought that was something they considered. I assume counseling by competent counselors would help so maybe it is as easy as outreach and getting vets to give it a try (and funding it), but I don't really know.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Nothing official has been stated, but looking at the circumstantial evidence it appears to be suicide. Will Rogers tweeting it's ok to not be ok. Paul Jones tweeting we don't always know the depths of someone's depression. A statement that he was found at a church down Blackjack Rd but that foul play was not suspected. End of the day he's gone and my heart breaks for his family regardless of cause. I just pray that somehow, someday, they are able to find a measure of peace in all this.
My step brother killed himself when I was 8 and he was 15. It is a selfish act and pisses me off. I feel for his family, his teammates, and all the lives this will impact. I hate that someone feels this is the only answer, and guess what... it never is. Hard to see it when you are at the bottom.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Man this hits hard. My son is a 19 year old student. I pray that God's Grace floods this family with love and support. I can't imagine their pain.
I can't imagine the pain of a parent losing a child, but the pain of knowing they took their own life would add tons of self doubt and blame that would be hard to take. Even if you've been the best of parents, it has to add pain on top of pain.
I would think those same questions would also hit friends, other family, (ex)girlfriends, etc to a lesser degree. Just rough on everyone involved. Prayers for all those that were near to him.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'm close with some folks that knew this kid. To say it is a shock would be an absolute understatement.

Just terrible.
A friend of a friend committed suicide when I was in school. I think his closest friends knew that he would get pretty down, but I don't think anybody else had any idea and I don't think his friends had any idea how bad it was for him. He still came out and was social; went to class and maintained grades; it's not like he stayed in his room and wallowed in his depression for days on end. Just no clue that it was so bad that he would contemplate something like that.

All that to say, I hate it for his friends and family. They are probably going to be looking for signs that they missed that in hindsight, might look like signs or cries for help, but the reality is that those "signs" are no different than what the 99%+ of people that don't commit suicide. Suicide is just awful and leaves a really unfair burden on friends and family.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Men are going through a difficult transition for a variety of reasons. I don't think our current political climate and media that stresses doom and gloom and the world is ending because of something or other that happened is helping. We also have an economy that doesn't really have much use for ordinary guys, men who used to be able to make a good living in manufacturing or some other area to support a family. And women don't want men who can't earn a decent living, or at least not for long term, and don't want kids from such men. It's a weird time now and, of course, Covid didn't help. Or should I say, the lockdowns etc,. and foolishness from parts of the political right and left to the pandemic. It screwed up a lot of people. Our economy doesn't really need the once-valued, modest skill set of ordinary men, except in the military and a few sectors. We have immigrants for construction and other heavy-lifting activities and cheap imported products from abroad that used to be made here. And some men have a difficult time accepting notions of gender equality. Women don't need men as much as they once did. You gotta bring it now to get a high-quality woman to marry you. Women are much more independent and financially secure. Women are especially kicking butt academically, something that leads to independence and a good career.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Men are going through a difficult transition for a variety of reasons. I don't think our current political climate and media that stresses doom and gloom and the world is ending because of something or other that happened is helping. We also have an economy that doesn't really have much use for ordinary guys, men who used to be able to make a good living in manufacturing or some other area to support a family. And women don't want men who can't earn a decent living, or at least not for long term, and don't want kids from such men. It's a weird time now and, of course, Covid didn't help. Or should I say, the lockdowns etc,. and foolishness from parts of the political right and left to the pandemic. It screwed up a lot of people. Our economy doesn't really need the once-valued, modest skill set of ordinary men, except in the military and a few sectors. We have immigrants for construction and other heavy-lifting activities and cheap imported products from abroad that used to be made here. And some men have a difficult time accepting notions of gender equality. Women don't need men as much as they once did. You gotta bring it now to get a high-quality woman to marry you. Women are much more independent and financially secure. Women are especially kicking butt academically, something that leads to independence and a good career.
Damn man… I’m glad I don’t have this outlook on life.

Reactions: Pars and LandDawg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
My step brother killed himself when I was 8 and he was 15. It is a selfish act and pisses me off. I feel for his family, his teammates, and all the lives this will impact. I hate that someone feels this is the only answer, and guess what... it never is. Hard to see it when you are at the bottom.
Men don't need to wallow in victimhood or self-pity, but many do need to realize that it's perfectly fine to admit it when you're going through some difficult time or emotional challenges. Look at the number or our veterans with PTSD, many of whom are incredibly brave and total badasses on the battlefield. That's a unique, often emotionally challenging experience. My point is that it's normal for men to sometimes face some difficulty emotionally. Jordan Peterson got a lot of criticism, but he understood that a lot of men, especially young men, needed to hear his message to them and feel valued. Richard Reeves has a good book on this, Of Boys and Men, examining why so many men are falling behind and encountering all sorts is difficulties in life. Scott Galloway (check out YouTube) also addresses this to some extent. Of course, men get blamed for all kinds of stuff today by idiots who don't know better. I'm tired of that ********

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I'm not sure it's that they have other priorities as much as they just don't know how to address it. Certainly we do a lot of stupid stuff (some jurisdictions treat ex convicts as a more favored class than vets), but I'm not sure how much fixing that would reduce the incidence of suicide. Suicide isn't usually the result of a rational thought process. It's not driven by people that are in serious chronic pain or that are in situations where people in the outside can look at it and say, yea, I get why they thought that was something they considered. I assume counseling by competent counselors would help so maybe it is as easy as outreach and getting vets to give it a try (and funding it), but I don't really know.
Mental health system in this country is really sad. Had a friend committed suicide. He was diagnosed with a mental health issue about two months prior. He had a bad mental health break and never did recover from that. It was really bad. Really tough to take. It messed me up pretty bad because when he was going through that he would randomly show up at my house a lot and one time let himself in. Kind of freaked me out. But it got so bad that he killed himself to escape it all. He would go in to a mental health facility and be out two three days later when he really needed to be watched full time and needed a lot of help. We as friends did what we could but there was only so much we could do not really a knowing what to do.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Is this the incel creed?

Reactions: Pars
Aug 24, 2012
I agree Trojan. There is only so much you can do. I lost my little sister a month ago to mental illness. She didn't want help anymore. It sucks but we all knew what the outcome was going to be. It's still hard and it may sound bad but it has been a relief for me and my siblings. The whole deal put my Mom through hell and back and that's the opposite of what she needed in the golden years of her life. We can already see the relief in my Mom as well. No more worrying. My sister is in a better place and no longer has to battle.

I couldn't stand to see my little sis the last 10-12 months because she looked so 17ing bad. I didn't wanted to see her anymore but had to because she was constantly in and out of the hospital and my siblings live out of state so I'm the only one in town with my mom. I just choose to remember her as the cute little blond hair girl that loved to give her big brother sh*t. Tears in my eyes as I type this. Mental illness is real folks. If you or someone you know is struggling, please do your best to get you or whoever help.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
We still have plenty of need for traditional male skill sets. Their relative pay has been suppressed because they have to compete with illegal and legal immigration in a way that white collar and licensed professionals do not, but it's not quite as bad as you're portraying. There are some serious social challenges posed by women generally being hypergamous while also being more equal in the workplace and actually outperforming men in the attainment of undergraduate degrees.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
My beliefs have changed in my older age (59). I believe that we are all wired differently between the ears and some have severe "malfunctions". Can you imagine being so depressed that you'd consider killing yourself? Can you imagine a mother so deranged she'd kill her children? People who don't kill themselves or others like the vast majority of us are not doing so because they have restraint; they don't these horrible things because they have no DESIRE to do so. I remember my newborn son screaming his a$$ off every night while my wife and I struggled mightily taking turns and holding him and losing countless hours of sleep every night but never ONCE considered taking out our frustrations on our son. And I'm sure most of you remember those sleepless nights struggling with your infant child. In my younger years, I was a guy who was always "FK these people; they just need to get a grip". I was hard core pro death penalty but not so much anymore. Not that I lose sleep over those executed but I just look at it differently these days than when I was younger.

Reactions: Ghostman and Podgy

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
We still have plenty of need for traditional male skill sets. Their relative pay has been suppressed because they have to compete with illegal and legal immigration in a way that white collar and licensed professionals do not, but it's not quite as bad as you're portraying. There are some serious social challenges posed by women generally being hypergamous while also being more equal in the workplace and actually outperforming men in the attainment of undergraduate degrees.
We agree, then. It's a really good life for men like me, a college-educated professional male. And the traditional skill set is being satisfied with immigration, legal and illegal, to a significant degree. Best of luck being an ordinary American male today. You're gonna face some challenges. Check out the Reeves book (he's a liberal, btw).

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
We agree, then. It's a really good life for men like me, a college-educated professional male. And the traditional skill set is being satisfied with immigration, legal and illegal, to a significant degree. Best of luck being an ordinary American male today. You're gonna face some challenges. Check out the Reeves book (he's a liberal, btw).
What do you mean by ordinary American male? Do you consider yourself extraordinary because you have a college degree? I have a college degree and a white collar job but have 2 siblings who do not and several friends as well. I think they are all doing ok. No better or worse than me.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
standard male, high school graduate. Many are doing fine but it's harder for them than it is for male college grads to become middle class, or even upper-class, unless that college grad took on a lot of college debt getting some degree with limited employment prospects. I'm not suggesting it's hopeless, it isn't, but it's a lot harder than it used to be. Thus, the appeal of populists for this group of Americans. American males with college degrees, especially more than one, aren't necessarily extraordinary in the sense that you used the word, but are in the minority of American males. Most American men don't have a college degree. There's a lot of data showing that male high school grads are having a difficult time in America. I'm not making this up. It's what the data shows. We can accept it or maybe figure out ways to make it easier for such people to enter the middle class. Look at the rates of drug addiction, alcoholism, etc. I'm not expressing views to make a value judgement, that is, because I think I'm superior to a high school grad. I know what the data shows and suggests.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login